Author Topic: Ways to improve Dukes  (Read 6937 times)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ways to improve Dukes
« Reply #15: July 17, 2016, 11:13:46 PM »
On the one hand, I like this idea because it is very difficult for even a sizeable group of players to take over a realm. It might be much easier to take over a Duchy.
On the other hand, if Dukes will still only be appointed by a King, it will just create a tool for a King to ensure Duchies are held by his cronies. This will effectively kill any tension between Dukes and their monarch. If we'll make it so that Duchies could be seized by rebels like realms it could also end in a disaster.
I would have agreed if we had a lot of players but with so few players, 1 or 2 people can just protest a duke out.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 17, 2016, 11:36:08 PM »
what tension between dukes and rulers?
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: July 18, 2016, 03:26:27 AM »
I'd like clarification on something. It was my understanding the inalienable rights do not give you free reign to just camp a high level position while doing absolutely nothing. Is that not the case. I thought the point was you can't demand they log in at certain times or you can't set a minimum number of log ins per week not that you can just log in solely for the sake of holding your title and never suffer any consequences. Furthermore IRs were created to keep low ranking players from being bullied by high ranking ones. I hardly think it violates the spirit of IRs for lower ranking players to have a recourse against complacent Dukes and Government officials.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 18, 2016, 05:18:00 AM »
Just no. Dukes should be untouchable. They need to be powerful to give more weight to the position.

What I think should be changed is 'Royal Dukes'. If you become a duke you should lose 'Royal' status. It is almost impossible to remove these people.
Hehehe, I agree. It is practically hard to touch a Royal Duke. How about a compromise? You be be only Duke or Royal at one time. You will lose Royal status the moment you become Duke.

No, dukes are too untouchable. The protest mechanic is a reasonable limit on them. A royal duke can be protested out of the duchy, if not the royal status.
I personally would like to see protests. If your duke is inactive, you can just get rid of him.
I remembered back in the day of a bad Judge in one of my characters realms. The Judge itchy finger banned half the realm, but not before we declared rebellion to overturn the ban. Of course the Judge had problem to ban a certain Royal Duke. After sometimes(Real Life many years), we ourselves had problem to remove Royal Duke who was inactive. As we do not want run afoul of the Game Rules for inactive players, we cannot even ban the Royal Duke due to he not fulfilled his duty to fund our army. So can protest daily work on Royal Duke to resolve such situation if this situation happens again? Or can we make it that region lords who under this inactive Royal Duke duchy their protests make more difference due to people would certainly listen to those who hold lands? We can find a formula to see this.

One of the ideas I see here, is the Ruler ability to tax the Dukes. Which is good for royal coffer and increase the tension.
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: July 18, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
Political tension obviously.
Aside from Generals and Bankers, Dukes are the only figures who can seriously impact internal politics without starting an open rebellion. And seeing how easy it is to secure General and Banker positions for your cronies, maybe Dukes could use more independence from the crown.