Author Topic: Garas' backstory  (Read 4177 times)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Garas' backstory
« Topic Start: July 17, 2016, 10:22:48 PM »
I've actually written a bit more than this, but I'll put the rest on here as soon as I post them IG in Oligarch to keep things a bit fresh for them as well.

Part I: Heritage

It was a rainy day in the Omsk peninsula in the middle of fall. The trees had been barren for weeks and the rain fell on the strong branches, making a daft, yet comforting sound. The halls of the great estate were filled with servants, rushing from one place to the next. Although the estate in which these servants lived their occupied lives was very large, the bustle of men, women, food and chaos were centered around a single room.

Just outside this room there sat a man, as calm as a summer’s breeze, seemingly unaffected by the many people rushing past him.
He just sat still, reading some letters as if nothing could phase him, as if he did not hear the screams from the room he sat in front of, nor saw the blooded blankets taken from it. He just sat there, his hair more white than blond now, covering his shoulder emblems. None in the estate however needed an introduction to the man, for so calmly sat Aeneas Quintus Ennius, Duke of Kzakh, Lord of Kazakh.

His story began far across the sea on the shores of another continent: Atamara. He was the son of two minor nobles whom’s houses had joined them in marriage. Born and raised in the great city of Wayburg in the lands of Abington, Aeneas had known a somewhat troubling youth. The city had known decades of war, where the Cagilan Empire had been leading multiple attempts to colonize it, followed by many of the other northerner realms. They succeeded several times, only to see the city retaken shortly thereafter by Abington once more.

When Aeneas had turned seventeen the city once more laid under siege and foreign forces had managed to breach the walls. The war had thinned out many of the noble families in Wayburg, which led to a remarkable decision by its Duke: Magnus the Mighty. In a valiant attempt to save his city he called upon many of the minor family houses to raise their banners and many did, fearing yet another occupation of their city.

The Quintus Ennius family was no exception and offered its two eldest sons: Sycheus and Aeneas. Both brothers received command of around twenty men. It was a minor miracle that both brothers survived the two battles which followed, which would ultimately free the city for the last time. Neither had any experience leading soldiers and while Aeneas had been known to fight on occasion, nothing had prepared him for the death he would witness. As a reward for their service both brothers were knighted by Magnus the Mighty himself and continued to fight in the wars still ongoing.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
Re: Garas' backstory
« Reply #1: July 18, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
I understand that this was an opening to the other rolepays you plan to post.

However, you jumped very quickly from things, I didn't understand where the screams came from or the bloodied blankets. What I saw was an estate with hard working servants, I read the part about the blood and screams and thought I missed a couple sentences.

Basically what I'm saying is your transition needs to help connect things more clearly. Add a little more detail to make things more clear, etc.

Other than that, I can see a good story coming out of this. I look forward to reading the others.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 18, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
It's possibly a strategic move, similar to one that I sometimes employ myself. leave part of the RP an open mystery. It allows the reader to question it and look forward to the next installment, hoping to find an answer the mystery  ;D
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 18, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
I understand that this was an opening to the other rolepays you plan to post.

However, you jumped very quickly from things, I didn't understand where the screams came from or the bloodied blankets. What I saw was an estate with hard working servants, I read the part about the blood and screams and thought I missed a couple sentences.

Basically what I'm saying is your transition needs to help connect things more clearly. Add a little more detail to make things more clear, etc.

Other than that, I can see a good story coming out of this. I look forward to reading the others.

What Logar says is true. The end of the heritage part will actually show where the screams are coming from. I allready wrote it, but during this week I'll put the other parts on as well as I bring them to Oligarch)

For now I'm afraid the quick life story of Aeneas will continue and in a few days you'll see why :) + it was nice to recollect some BM history as well for me

Where his brother Sycheus focused more on governance and was even rewarded the Lordship of Matakonis, Aeneas dedicated himself to the wars. He grew more skilled with the sword, but was still unprepared for what he was to behold. In the wake of their war the Darkan mercenaries had invaded and plundered the farmlands south of Wayburg. Thousands of women would be raped that ear, thousands of children put to the sword and hundreds of villages burned to the ground. The realities of war would hit him hard and by the time he had turned twenty one the unthinkable happened.

The kingdom of Abington could no longer bear the burden of war and as the king grew mad, the Duke of Wayburg and the Duchess of Suville would choose the coward’s way and ceded their cities to form the Kingdoms of Caergoth and Suville. All Dukes would quickly follow either realm and soon only the capitol of Abington was left and it too would quickly fall to the new realms.

Aeneas, disgusted and angry by his Lord’s betrayal of his nation, left the continent in a great rage. He set sail to the south islands, or the war islands as it was known to many. Here his anger would find root as he joined the realm of Toren. Within his first weeks he would get into one fight after another with his own realm mates and the enemy, until he insulted the enemy’s judge: Kanuni Kalkandelen. He subsequently killed the champion of the Taselakian Judge in the ensuing duel. The response which then followed, along with the willingness of the champion to die in his Lord’s name, left a strong impression on Aeneas and he would choose to join Taselak instead.

Despite this change Aeneas’ actions were forced and dominated by anger. Where in Toren he would get into fight after fight due to his mental state, those in Taselak did not seem to mind. Charging like a madmen in every battle, he slowly seized to be the boy he once was. As he grew bolder even still, he gained the respect of his countrymen and found a friend in a man known as Senniamus the Mad, famous for charging his men into battle lines completely naked to intimidate his foes. As time went by,

Aeneas who had found a mentor in Kanuni learned more and more about military strategy and was granted permission to join the elite Heavy Striker’s Group, also known as the tax collectors and even gained a lordship. Years went by as he fought an endless cycle of battles, performed raid after raid and charge after charge. Now that he had found his place, his anger was replaced by a sense of loyalty and determination, for the most part at least. As he grew older he became more confident in his own leadership and ultimately was appointed vice-marshal of the HSG tax collectors.

“No greatness can live forever,” words which would soon have a whole new meaning to Aeneas. He had grown accustomed to seeing men die, noble and commoner alike, but never had he seen something like this. As the earth trembled for days, destroying houses and cities, it became clear that the south islands were no longer safe. Those who could, sought ships to carry them to safety, as the waves engulfed the land

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 22, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
Tens of thousands died, where no man could assist and most of the survivors set sail to the democracy of Fontan, home of the Fontanese Lions upon which the Elite HSG was built. The arrival of so many experienced and battle hardened noblemen aroused a feeling of jo and relief in Fontan, which was assaulted by the nation of Sirion and her allies of Old Rancagua and had suffered against such might. It did not take long however for the newcomers to settle in, as some had family present in Fontan already. The link between Fontan and Taselak proved strong and within a week upon arrival Aeneas was elected Lord. They would join the Fonanese lions and defeat their enemies, pushing them back to their original lands. Despite their successes, it took years to reclaim some of the last territory and in that time the military leaders, of which Aeneas had risen to become a prominent member, took an increasing amount of power and liberties.

Apart from the many field battles, Aeneas would fight verbal battle after another in Fontan’s assembly as well. The most notable verbal wars were against Moira Dubhaine, the prominent adversary of military control and dominance. The fontanese struggle reached its climax at the city of Kazakh. The Fontanese military campaign had been so successful that they would soon capture the city of Kazakh from OR and push them back to Oroya. The military council had been making secret plans to create a new realm in the city, without consoling the rest of the realm, as was tradition in the democracy. As the debate grew more heated, the two greatest internal adversaries grew closer. As Aeneas visited Moira to persuade her in private, a thing so unexpected happened that it shook the very foundation of the democracy itself. What started as a political feud ended in multiple romantic encounters, although they continued to oppose one and other in the assembly.

As the military council won and formed the Sultanete of Asena, Moira would give birth to a girl and they named her Ariana. Aeneas would become the Sultanate’s first Duke under the leadership of another Kalkandelen and as the situation grew more stable, his daughter would be moved to his great estate in Kazakh at the age of two. The war reached its height many years later when the Sultanate managed to take the city of Oroya from OR and forced its nobility out of the lands and into Sirion.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 25, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »
(And the ending as promised, albeit somewhat late)

The governing of a city and the presence of his daughter had made Aeneas much more calm as he now approached the age of fifty, as he sat outside of the room. The screams from the room finally stopped, only to be replaced by a different scream, shriek and more penetrating than before. As the door was opened Aeneas stood up and entered the room. He kissed the forehead of his daughter and lifted up his newly born grandson. “Welcome to the world of men Garas, he said as a smile appeared on his battle torn face.

During her time in Kazakh Ariana had grown to become a beautiful lady and her beauty alongside her father’s positions made her a highly sought after bride. There are some who considered her nothing but a high ranked bastard, as her parents had never married. Ariana however was legitimized by her father straight at birth, making her a true Quintus Ennius. Where many had attempted to woe her, none was as convincing as the young prince of the royal Kalkandelen family she would ultimately marry, further cementing the alliance between these families. It was to these two that the young Garas Kalkandelen was born in the Omsk peninsula in the minor city of Kazakh.

The happiness felt that day would not last long however. It was clear that there was something brewing gin the area when several of the Fontanese lions disappeared. Many rumors have been spread, of kidnapping, an ambush and even sorcery from the elven domain. Whatever it was, Fontan found itself severely weakened and combined with a rebellious Duke the tables of war would soon be turned. The sultanate was pushed back from Oroya making way for the nobility of OR to settle once more.  Despite tradition they called their new nation Nivemus. Around that time an even greater tragedy shook the Sultanate howver. An assassin of unknown origin had managed to find its way into Kazakh city and managed to poison the wines of both Aeneas and the Kalkandelen prince with a poison so vicious neither stood a chance. It was only through fortune that Ariana too did not fall, as the struck with mild fever had gone to bed early that night. Later that night an assassin was stopped and killed by her guards in an attempt to finish where had failed. His last words would stick with Ariana for the rest of her life: “Others will come, you and your son will never be safe, the north will be your end.”

Garas was not even two years old at the time, but it would shape him more than he may ever consider. Shortly thereafter Ariana, without husband, without a father, and only a young boy to take care off set sail to Dwilight, to hide in a faraway forest as she changed her name. All to keep her son from harm, so that he would one day reach adulthood despite that wretched East Continent.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 27, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
I was like "Hmm, thought that screaming meant death....(few lines later) Oh there's the death  ;D"

I liked it, though the title had me expecting more to do with Gara. I feel something like "Gara's Creation" or birth or something to signify that this isn't so much all about Gara, but about Aeneas. The story was great though.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 28, 2016, 04:42:59 AM »
I think it is a case of showcasing struggle and what shapes Garas now by looking at fall and rise.... I see a promising marriage in the boys future...

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 29, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
I was like "Hmm, thought that screaming meant death....(few lines later) Oh there's the death  ;D"

I liked it, though the title had me expecting more to do with Gara. I feel something like "Gara's Creation" or birth or something to signify that this isn't so much all about Gara, but about Aeneas. The story was great though.

Thanks, yeah this was more an introduction to a rather troubled family and the birth of Garas which already sets in motion most of his future. If I do find time my next goal will be to start a description of his childhood and how he grew more and more into the man he is today. But should I ever turn this into a comprehensive story I should clearly re-consider the titles :)

@Chamberlain, do we have th RP's of the wedding somewhere? *Note to self, look at duphaine's wiki, think she saved them

Chamberlain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 29, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,6596.0.html

The best as always :)

So by the time I get to his life after Sirion, this will be perfect material to start with. Chapter 5 or something xD