Author Topic: Wolves of War: House Dodger  (Read 5221 times)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Wolves of War: House Dodger
« Topic Start: June 29, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
(Jonn got bored of Luria when the southern league war slowed down, and is drawn back to the far east by the anti-Sartanist war, concerned that Arcaea will invade the Dark Isle again. At this point he is in Cathay, who seem to be winning at this point, ironically trying to get them to make peace with Sorraine and trading with Kellan on the Isle, who we rejoin some time later as General of Coralynth and a much wealthier young noble...)

Kellan spat in the dirt. Hunting monsters was no fun with so many damn archers around. "Time to string up the bow again," he muttered to no one in particular.

He'd seen Lord Grathe show up just in time to watch the fun. While the archers ran to collect arrows and trophies they approached each other from across the lines, clasped forearms. They exchanged small talk as their men packed up for the next leg of the journey.

A short ride brought them to the shore, where Kellan gave Grathe the grand tour of the new dockyard. The docks themselves weren't much to look at, but the ships were another story.

The early arrivals were all connected to Lord Jonn one way or another. Lurian galleons that looked more like military vessels than mercantile unloaded glasswares, coal and stone. The big-bellied carracks with the colorful sails were from the traders of Garuck Udor, who brought linens, spices and horses. Big lumbering junks from Cathay brought in silks, precious stones, and most importantly steel, which Lord Jonn had praised as the best in the world.

And gold, lots and lots of gold. Most ships took on even more than they unloaded, and both Northern lords were set to make a killing on tariffs alone. Timber and furs were the main commodities in Rapael, and the ships from Dwilight took special interest in these. The Cathayans mostly loaded on barrel after barrel of salt fish.

"It's the glacier," Kellan explained. "All the fish that used to be in the south are here now. Lord Jonn says it's changed the currents in the ocean."

A pavilion was set up by the shore where they ate and watched the ships as they loaded and unloaded, came and went. Some back home, some on to Itomazh, where they'd pick up salt and ceramics and more fish. Kellan absentmindedly considered investing in a salt industry for Rapael - it'd take years to pay off, but maybe - and on placing limits on foreign fish sales. With the prices the Cathayans were paying, the domestic market was going to take a beating. Not good for a bad farming year.

One of Lord Grathe's men interrupted the meal with news of monsters in Mnalor. They finished their meals quickly and stood to prepare for the march.

"You never told me where the money came from," Grathe commented as they headed off to gather their men. He gestured at the docks, no cheap undertaking.

"I'm sworn to secrecy," Kellan replied. He laughed as Lord Grathe raised an eyebrow. "No, really. Lord Jonn hasn't told me much, and what he has I'm sworn to never reveal."

Grathe shrugged his shoulders, made to leave. "Wait," Kellan said, "speaking of oaths, I got word from Lord Jonn when we got back to the Isle."

Grathe grinned.

"You did too, I guess," Kellan said laughing. "I thought as much. After this little hunt in Mnalor I'm headed to Soniel; after that we'll gather everyone up in Enlod and make it official."

They clasped forearms again and split up to rally their men.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:51:35 AM by JDodger »
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.