Author Topic: Is using the Family Page for IC knowledge OOC abuse?  (Read 2485 times)

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm really just wondering, because how would these people even have any access to this knowledge unless they have been told? It's not like there would be a guild of geneologists who span every continent and keep track of every single noble.

I've never used the family page for anything other than OOC knowledge, but I do know that some people use it for IC stuff.

What do you guys think?

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
imo its fair game. noble families were obsessed with keeping track of their lineages and such information was recorded in various places.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm more just thinking with the whole "adventurer" thing. Yes they are technically part of the family, but no nobles, and no chronicler would ever record them as being such.

There would also be many more family members than ever listed on the family page.

Now, yes, families were obsessed with their own lineage, but it wouldn't be something freely accessible  for every single person who just wants to check. The records would be hidden probably on the family estate and no one would never have a copy of it.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
It's a bit pseudo ooc/ic depending on what you're looking at. There are player-relevant bits that are obviously OOC. Family history and current status of nobles has long been accepted as IC.

Advies have long been considered as OOC knowledge on family-page-basis alone despite being listed with the nobles; I had noticed some treating it as more IC recently though. It's not something that is enforced by rules as much as by player pressure/culture, in my experience.

The page could probably use some visual separation of noble and adventurer characters.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
All information that my characters use from the family page is normally gathered by sending their squires to the 'Central Library' to do some research. Anything can be roleplayed one way or another  ;)

"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
i totally agree about advies, they should never be rped as having a connection to a family unless that family's player rps them that way.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I agree with Dodger, stuff like noble relations and bans and offices held could be found out, but advies are considered commoners (until they aren't, then they're considered to have always been noble). No one in their right mind would suggest a noble is related to a commoner, that would be a grave insult.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Everything on the family page that is not explicitly OOC information (eg, join date, etc) is considered fair game for IC information.

That is not to say that it must be treated as entirely canonical. If your RP for one of your adventurers is that they are a bastard offspring of one of your nobles, that the noble has never even heard existed, then that's perfectly legit, but it doesn't mean there couldn't be rumours of the connection to the family.

Remember: There's a difference between the things someone knows, and the things they think they know.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
no one is going to spread widespread rumors about some random peasant who showed up one day, unless he starts telling people he's the son of sir so and so.

that one honor, one prestige advy is literally anonymous in the world. now if he becomes a super famous advy or starts telling tales of his glorious family its a different story.

imo advies get banned upon entering a realm too much for "associations" with nobles in other realms that wouldn't even have been heard of.

the fact there's a message to inform every noble of a realm that an advy has appeared annoys me. what, is the spymaster of the realm keeping track of every dirty peasant with a rusty butter knife that shows up?

advies should get that message, not nobles. advies should be below nobles' notice until the moment they interact.