Author Topic: Army Banner  (Read 7372 times)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Army Banner
« Topic Start: June 26, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »
Somehow, the army banner for the Privateers in the Grand Duchy of Fissoa on Dwi is not showing up. I asked the army sponsor, and he said the settings appear to be okay - however the banner won't show.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Army Banner
« Reply #1: June 26, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Adblock Plus?
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: June 26, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
Huh? Why the hell would Adblock prevent those from showing? I'll check it though :)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: June 26, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »
Epic, it worked! Thanks!  8)

Is this like a public secret or something? Or did I just fail to read some vital info. Anyway, this topic can be locked

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #4: June 26, 2011, 05:35:24 PM »
Epic, it worked! Thanks!  8)

Is this like a public secret or something? Or did I just fail to read some vital info. Anyway, this topic can be locked

No need, since probably no one will post anymore.  (I prefer leaving it rather than locking if the thread is okay)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 26, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »
No need, since probably no one will post anymore.  (I prefer leaving it rather than locking if the thread is okay)

It's your call :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: June 27, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Why the hell would Adblock prevent those from showing?
AdBlock plus uses the word "banner" in the URLs to block, well, banner ads. I long ago whitelisted the entire battlemaster.org domain to prevent this kind of thing.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: June 27, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
AdBlock plus uses the word "banner" in the URLs to block, well, banner ads. I long ago whitelisted the entire battlemaster.org domain to prevent this kind of thing.

Yeah, that was my guess. Couldn't you just rename the images to something without 'banner' in it? :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: June 27, 2011, 04:11:05 PM »
Can't you just fix your broken filters so they don't block things you actually want to see?  ;D

(And yes, I know you were being sarcastic. I just *had* to reply. I know, I'm weak...  :-[ )

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: June 27, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
Can't you just fix your broken filters so they don't block things you actually want to see?  ;D

(And yes, I know you were being sarcastic. I just *had* to reply. I know, I'm weak...  :-[ )

Well, I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't really see how I would have been either.

But I was actually thinking of people playing BM without being in the forums. They are missing out on this great feature now! (sarc :P) Would it be that much trouble to change the 'banner' file name to "gracillariidae"? (used http://watchout4snakes.com/creativitytools/RandomWord/RandomWordPlus.aspx for that one :P )

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: June 27, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »
So you want us to run every file submitted by a player as a banner or avatar, and to the wiki as well, probably, since I seem to recall that's where I noticed the problem first, through an AdBlock+ simulator to see if it triggers a filter, so we can rename the file to some random, meaningless word so that people using AdBlock+ don't have problems with the file not showing up?

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
« Reply #11: June 27, 2011, 06:59:26 PM »
It's your call :)

Hehe... so people are still posting.  :)
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: June 27, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
So you want us to run every file submitted by a player as a banner or avatar, and to the wiki as well, probably, since I seem to recall that's where I noticed the problem first, through an AdBlock+ simulator to see if it triggers a filter, so we can rename the file to some random, meaningless word so that people using AdBlock+ don't have problems with the file not showing up?

Well, first of all, I assumed the army banners were uploaded by the devs, and that army sponsors simply had to choose from that. If they upload the file themselves, I agree that it would be quite a hassle.

Secondly, the random, meaningless word was indeed that; random and meaningless. Hardly an honest proposal :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: June 27, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
Well, the problem existed long before army banners existed. When rulers submit new banners for realms, or the associated avatar, the submitted filename is used. That's how I noticed the issue first, a few years ago. Some realm's icon wasn't showing up. I talked to someone else about it, and they said it was just fine. A bit of digging around revealed that AdBlock was blocking the image. So I whitelisted the whole domain.

Army banners are actually not uploaded by the devs. The banner is designed by the army sponsor and saved as a text string. The image is dynamically generated by the game when the page is loaded. So there is no image uploaded by anyone. I suppose Tim could change the image name, but that wouldn't solve all your problems anyway. The next time someone submits "banner.png" as their realm banner, AdBlock+ will ever-so-thoughtfully block it so you don't have to see that evil banner ad.

So to really fix the problem once and for all, just whitelist the domain. It'll probably make your pages load faster anyway.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: June 28, 2011, 05:10:34 AM »
Aha. Yet again, the issue was more complicated than I originally thought, and the issue has been solved the logical way. Honestly, every time I pose a blunt question, or make an ignorant remark, I love it how you take the time to explain.

Thanks!