Author Topic: Getting the population to procreate faster (or move there or whatever)  (Read 16249 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

I noticed that many regions can't increase production more due to the lack of population.

One thing that I seem to have forgotten is how do you increase the population then in the fastest and most effective manner?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

I noticed that many regions can't increase production more due to the lack of population.

One thing that I seem to have forgotten is how do you increase the population then in the fastest and most effective manner?

You show them dirty movies.

...There isn't any way to get your peasants to procreate faster.  On testing, they will migrate from well-populated regions to underpopulated regions, provided the underpopulated regions have a functional government and are well-fed.

Or I suppose you could try magic.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

Why can't morale have an effect? I'd assume happier peasants means more reproduction, and more incentives for immigrants to come over.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Why can't morale have an effect? I'd assume happier peasants means more reproduction, and more incentives for immigrants to come over.

Well, what about consolation sex? :P

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
You show them dirty movies.

...There isn't any way to get your peasants to procreate faster.  On testing, they will migrate from well-populated regions to underpopulated regions, provided the underpopulated regions have a functional government and are well-fed.

Or I suppose you could try magic.

If there isn't, I suggest we do something about that. Not for realistic reasons but for game-being-fun reasons.

This sure contributes to it being beauracrymaster more than battlemaster.

Which realm can go to war when their cities are running at 50% production or less, for a period that feels like forever?

songqu88@gmail.com

Ah yes, that is one of the excuses realms might use for refraining from war, huh.

Well, at least we shouldn't let realms that got beaten to within an inch of their lives to sprout right up again too soon. Perhaps the rate of growth for all regions can be altered depending on the glory in each region.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I personally think the new migration code to be a good balance.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Ah yes, that is one of the excuses realms might use for refraining from war, huh.

Well, at least we shouldn't let realms that got beaten to within an inch of their lives to sprout right up again too soon. Perhaps the rate of growth for all regions can be altered depending on the glory in each region.

I agree with you. There has to be some reasonble middleground, but from what I can tell, it takes too long right now.

It is probably holding back more than war. Which duke would seceede with his city while production is at 50% or less?
Which realm would feel it worthwhile to take over a region that will give them almost zero production due to the missing population that will take ages to return?

And so on.

It is realistic, but it makes battlemaster less fun than it could be.

Kain

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I personally think the new migration code to be a good balance.

Can you enlighten me about it please? :)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
the new migration code drains half full (or something around but not quite that) rurals / towns into empty (but huge max pop) cities. can't say it was a good balance to me.

obviously, it might have been tweaked since..

mind you.. whatever happened to the region max pop resizes?
firefox

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it make more sense if the people simply moved to regions with more food (instead of to regions with less inhabitants)?

That way, instead of losing half of a city's inhabitants, they would move to the surrounding regions to avoid starvation.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it make more sense if the people simply moved to regions with more food (instead of to regions with less inhabitants)?

That way, instead of losing half of a city's inhabitants, they would move to the surrounding regions to avoid starvation.

This is, in fact, what happens. Starving regions do not experience immigration, only emigration.

The new migration system is quite well balanced, IMHO, based on my observations of it in Terran, Barca, and D'Hara. We've actually gotten Barca's population levels up much faster than I thought would be possible.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I agree with you. There has to be some reasonble middleground, but from what I can tell, it takes too long right now.

It is probably holding back more than war. Which duke would seceede with his city while production is at 50% or less?
Which realm would feel it worthwhile to take over a region that will give them almost zero production due to the missing population that will take ages to return?

And so on.

It is realistic, but it makes battlemaster less fun than it could be.

If we make it considerably quicker, then there will be no more way to truly cripple realms, and since it will be too easy for them to get back on their feet and seek revenge, aggressors will be more inclined to completely eliminate their foes, which is not something I would particularly favor. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that we shouldn't give them any more incentives to do so.

As for secessions, well, the wait makes it all the more legitimate. If you can say you built a city from the grounds up, you have much greater rights to govern it autonomously.

And for expansions? People do it all the time on Dwilight. And elsewhere. It's an investment. If you leave a city rogue, others will take it as soon as they get a chance.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This is, in fact, what happens. Starving regions do not experience immigration, only emigration.

The new migration system is quite well balanced, IMHO, based on my observations of it in Terran, Barca, and D'Hara. We've actually gotten Barca's population levels up much faster than I thought would be possible.

Which makes D'Hara that much more happy, as we can maintain optimal production while having less mouths to feed.

songqu88@gmail.com

If we make it considerably quicker, then there will be no more way to truly cripple realms, and since it will be too easy for them to get back on their feet and seek revenge, aggressors will be more inclined to completely eliminate their foes, which is not something I would particularly favor. I'm not saying they shouldn't, just that we shouldn't give them any more incentives to do so.

As for secessions, well, the wait makes it all the more legitimate. If you can say you built a city from the grounds up, you have much greater rights to govern it autonomously.

And for expansions? People do it all the time on Dwilight. And elsewhere. It's an investment. If you leave a city rogue, others will take it as soon as they get a chance.

I think people don't destroy their enemies often enough. The most recent one that got me slightly scratching my head with a big question mark popping up over it was Sirion letting Fontan go. Remember when Arcaea was down to like Akanos in the summer of 2008? Yeah...Now it's the one dominating FEI while Soliferum is dead (Good work). Falasan was allowed to continue its cursed existence as a fate worse than death more or less before they finally got wiped.

But then again, I'm also someone who, given the opportunity on a smaller continent like maybe Colonies, would seek to have my realm conquer as many regions as it can support, then wipe all other regions on the continent rogue, thus effectively declaring sole inhabitant of the island before rebellions and/or secessions occur. Just for, you know, the rights to claim that "achievement". So maybe my destruction > disarmament is biased. meh.