Author Topic: Rules of conduct with OOC friends  (Read 2394 times)

Norrel

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Rules of conduct with OOC friends
« Topic Start: August 08, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
I've recruited a friend of mine to play the game, and may soon have another. This leads to the issue that we'll obviously want to play on the same realms, and could lead to some unfair situations for other players.
What are some general guidelines about keeping the game fair? To what extent should we discuss politics, or our character's future plans or motives OOCly? Finally, how allied should we be? Would helping eachother at every turn be considered unfair gameplay? And, would marrying our families IC do anything to get around that issue, while also making the alliance public?
“it was never wise for a ruler to eschew the trappings of power, for power itself flows in no small measure from such trappings.”
- George R.R. Martin ; Melisandre

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Rules of conduct with OOC friends
« Reply #1: August 08, 2011, 06:42:07 PM »
The first rule is that you should relax.

Unless you make an intentional effort to discuss things OOC instead of in-game, or to go around other players, everything should be fine. We all play with friends at times, if not in BM than in other games. The rule I've always followed is: It is not bad to have friends, or even a clan, as long as the other players don't get excluded from the fun.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 08, 2011, 06:57:45 PM »
Having an IC reason for working together is always good, intermarrying is certainly a fine way to do it (my girlfriend and I often play together, and we have a couple of characters married).
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 08, 2011, 09:13:40 PM »
I've recruited a friend of mine to play the game, and may soon have another. This leads to the issue that we'll obviously want to play on the same realms, and could lead to some unfair situations for other players.
What are some general guidelines about keeping the game fair? To what extent should we discuss politics, or our character's future plans or motives OOCly? Finally, how allied should we be? Would helping eachother at every turn be considered unfair gameplay? And, would marrying our families IC do anything to get around that issue, while also making the alliance public?

I've played with friends since they recruited me to play in the first place. As Tom said, it's more about the spirit of things. As long as you are not abusing your OOC connections in some way, such as by planning a rebellion completely OOC, you are doing fine. I have forged both alliances and enmities with characters belonging to players I know IRL. I have also made numerous friends among players who I do not know IRL. At times my IG and OOG friends even clash, but I never side with one or the other just because of OOC considerations.

In general, knowing someone IRLisn't much different than the way that many players talk to each other on IRC or other OOC communication mediums. It has the same potential pitfalls. If you are mature and make a conscious effort to do the right thing, you'll be hard pressed to do wrong.

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 13, 2011, 12:41:39 AM »
I've played with friends since they recruited me to play in the first place. As Tom said, it's more about the spirit of things. As long as you are not abusing your OOC connections in some way, such as by planning a rebellion completely OOC, you are doing fine. I have forged both alliances and enmities with characters belonging to players I know IRL. I have also made numerous friends among players who I do not know IRL. At times my IG and OOG friends even clash, but I never side with one or the other just because of OOC considerations.

In general, knowing someone IRLisn't much different than the way that many players talk to each other on IRC or other OOC communication mediums. It has the same potential pitfalls. If you are mature and make a conscious effort to do the right thing, you'll be hard pressed to do wrong.

HAHA, so says my roommate.  I can't believe I randomly came across this on the forum that is hysterical.  When he says OOC friends clashing with IC friends he means me, I'm a bit of a bitch :)  I use each of my characters to enhance an aspect of my personality or make a new one so in some cases our characters do have some good fun together and other times they are accusing the other of being an enemy spy.  Bringing the people in game into the middle of you and your friends crap doesn't exclude them from the fun, it enhances it.  It makes in game stuff even more fun knowing eachother OOC.  If at any point you think you might be having a debateable conversation you probably are.