Author Topic: dropping militia in the midst of a to/after losing a battle  (Read 3397 times)

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
should not be able to happen. if you cant recruit a unit or repair equipment in your capital after a lost battle, you should not be able to drop militia either.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Zakilevo

You can stop it by TOing the region.

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
cute.

what id like to see is a system where to's succeed and fail based on the actual outcome of battles, and where the outcome of battles is based on comparable levels of coordination between the opposing armies. not a system where someone can just throw gold at a region to make up for not being able to win with their actual army.
By the way, would love to see you coordinate three realms without having an OOC teamspeak with everyone on it.

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
cute.

what id like to see is a system where to's succeed and fail based on the actual outcome of battles, and where the outcome of battles is based on comparable levels of coordination between the opposing armies. not a system where someone can just throw gold at a region to make up for not being able to win with their actual army.

That would give a realm with more nobles too much power. Building militia is a good way for small realms to defend against hordes and war raids...

Here's how I picture it:

Taking over a region basically means that your troops are now inside the town village or w/e, you're with the peasants. The main fortresses are usually blocked off from the peasants, so I can understand how a fortress wouldn't but under your control. While you're with the peasants, your enemy can't exactly be there because they'll die.

Meanwhile, most battles happen outside the residential area in some sort of field. When the defenders lose, they just run back to the town, starting a takeover is like walking into the town, however, the battle isn't over, jist because you've RETREATED doesn't mean you're defeated. So skirmishes commence etc., Outside the area.

You can't exactly collect taxes when you're enemy halts them from entering... Can't place militia because... Common sense. Etc... However if the takeover doesn't start, you're still in your village, you can do whatever you want.

If you're complaining that gold plays too big a role... I'm sorry, that's how economy works. More gold means you can buy and build more.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

JDodger

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
im not talking about a situation where the to didnt start, im talking about a to in progress on top of losing a battle in the region. in the same scenario (gathering troops) one cannot recruit a unit in their capital, a situation in which one would assume raising troops from the population would be easier as there are more people in a smaller space.

recruiting men to your unit and recruiting militia are the same thing in terms of the rp world actions of your char, they are going out, finding fighting men, slapping a pike and a few coins in their hand and telling them to go fight. logically neither should be possible if one of them isn't.

there was not too long ago an interminably long thread about how bad the current reliance on militia is for the game. there was, as usual, no change that came out of it.

part of the inherent contradiction in your argument is that realms with more nobles almost always tend to be larger and wealthier realms, thus more able to afford militia and less reliant on individual nobles' units being as strong as possible, meaning lords can hoard more gold to drop militia.

the other part is that smaller realms can't raise large enough armies to compete with the massive militia forces that can be placed in even middle-wealth regions currently, and on dwi specifically they can't compete with the insane peasant hordes that get kicked up at the slightest amount of looting.

and as you are well aware my annoyance with (and awareness of) this issue stems from a battle between my smaller realm and your larger realm.

the real problem with war right now especially in dwi with the anti-looting code is that npc units play way too big of a role, consistently in favor of the wealthier, larger realm. it massively reduces the importance of which army is better managed and more coordinated, mostly all that matters is who has more gold to drop militia and not have to loot at inopportune times to keep troops in the field.

the continued ability to rely on militia as a crutch really reduces the quality of wars and further makes playing in a small or poor realm an unappealing prospect to most players, no matter how good that realm's army is.

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
im not talking about a situation where the to didnt start, im talking about a to in progress on top of losing a battle in the region. in the same scenario (gathering troops) one cannot recruit a unit in their capital, a situation in which one would assume raising troops from the population would be easier as there are more people in a smaller space.

recruiting men to your unit and recruiting militia are the same thing in terms of the rp world actions of your char, they are going out, finding fighting men, slapping a pike and a few coins in their hand and telling them to go fight. logically neither should be possible if one of them isn't.

there was not too long ago an interminably long thread about how bad the current reliance on militia is for the game. there was, as usual, no change that came out of it.

part of the inherent contradiction in your argument is that realms with more nobles almost always tend to be larger and wealthier realms, thus more able to afford militia and less reliant on individual nobles' units being as strong as possible, meaning lords can hoard more gold to drop militia.

the other part is that smaller realms can't raise large enough armies to compete with the massive militia forces that can be placed in even middle-wealth regions currently, and on dwi specifically they can't compete with the insane peasant hordes that get kicked up at the slightest amount of looting.

and as you are well aware my annoyance with (and awareness of) this issue stems from a battle between my smaller realm and your larger realm.

the real problem with war right now especially in dwi with the anti-looting code is that npc units play way too big of a role, consistently in favor of the wealthier, larger realm. it massively reduces the importance of which army is better managed and more coordinated, mostly all that matters is who has more gold to drop militia and not have to loot at inopportune times to keep troops in the field.

the continued ability to rely on militia as a crutch really reduces the quality of wars and further makes playing in a small or poor realm an unappealing prospect to most players, no matter how good that realm's army is.

By drop militia. Do you mean purchase or literal dropping of the militia? The literal is completely logical and is understandable... Just tell them to go charge and die and boom... You got your attacking milita.

However, purchasing I could see a bit odd... That definitely shouldn't be possible during a TO, not because it's illogical, because it's purely logical... Just seems unfair to be able to purchase reinforcements. However it is key to note that is actually not how recruiting works in his game... That's how picking up volunteers work. We don't just walk around slap the armour on a guy, we pick from training centers from a post board in the capital basically from my understanding. The readied recruits are either nearby or in the barracks awaiting deployment.

Regarding the small realm big realm idea, the small realm will likely seek support and if not, too bad if they're not strong enough... Unfortunately that's how this game was intended to work.

Regarding Swordfell v Westfold,

I tried offering a week of rebuilding... But you didn't even respond... Can't expect me to help you in any way if you won't even speak. It's both our responsibility to make the war fun, not just mine. If you want compromise, better start talking or else we simply won't know how you feel, it's truthfully that simple.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 03:10:27 PM by victor c »
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I remember this happening on the War Island when Sandalak attacked Taselak. And how even though we lost the battle, people were able to quickly drop their unit and recruit a fresh one to prevent them from TO'ing the region due to troops being present. If this is along the same lines of this topic, then it is definitely something that should be fixed.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I remember this happening on the War Island when Sandalak attacked Taselak. And how even though we lost the battle, people were able to quickly drop their unit and recruit a fresh one to prevent them from TO'ing the region due to troops being present. If this is along the same lines of this topic, then it is definitely something that should be fixed.

What you mention, has recently been tweaked. It's still possible, but you will need a certain amount of troops 'being present' rather than just 1 unit of 5 men preventing any TO actions.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)