Author Topic: Fun?  (Read 11023 times)

Mookzen

• Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Fun?
« Topic Start: September 12, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
Yeah, you are right about seeing the planned actions of other's, didn't consider the timing issue.

Basically game desperately needs more dynamic elements and avenues for player interaction and meaningful decisions that change according to circumstances, and some clever game design decisions might even do it, maybe.

I like the idea of land ownership being based on use with a timer, that would definitely spice things up and sounds at least initially as a much better setup, but it has to be implemented in a way that also make communal structures still possible. I feel changes that encourage players thinking about land besides their own are good, not entirely sure it alone will overcome the 'turtling up' instinct as the forest pressure increases though, at that point no one can service enough land for it to be a point for any sort of player interaction when ideally engagement should increase not decrease as the game progresses, its not so much 'cooperation braking down' as everyone just not being able to do anything at that point, that's also a problem. I understand that's kind of the point eventually, but its a balancing act. So another big question is how to have things breaking down in a way that entourages gameplay instead of the opposite. Being able to set the destination of gathered resources and set use rights on land would allow for at least the possibility of more complex cooperation.

Maybe players need some more room to 'breathe' in the mid and late game ? Sure, some attacks should happen every turn, but maybe the big ones come in waves, giving a few turns of less intensive pressure to players can actually do something,repair stuff. Currently its like constant pressure which relentlessly increases. The point when it become pointless to even try to maintain any sort of buildings comes a bit too soon and to everyone at once more or less it seems. You will probably see player dropoff as the game progresses, that should not be the case with good design, but its a balancing act. Need to provide opportunities for players to struggle for a bit longer in a way that's interesting gameplay wise instead of being just hopeless. I feel that 'fleeing to find shelter with a neighbor and joining forces' thing isnt developed to its potential, could be interesting, or becoming a parasite that ultimately dooms both families.   

What about actions that impact attack frequency and maybe even tendencies, hunt the wolves and boars actions ? Another potential area of cooperation, chance to lose a peasant unless people group up? Something like that.

I noticed you didn't respond to the dual action queue per peasant idea, it came from a feeling that I would like more to do every turn essentially, more choices, more things happening in the village. If it was my call I would consider morning, day and evening actions per peasant, all 3 categories serving different purposes and offering different options.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:33:53 PM by Mookzen »