Author Topic: Contemplations on gameplay strategy  (Read 5036 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
Contemplations on gameplay strategy
« Topic Start: September 04, 2016, 11:18:32 PM »
This is just based on what i have observed so far. It may turn out to be a bunch on bunk once we get further in (day 7), so feel free to comment if you have been further along. I will be practically testing these soon once the new villages start running.

Premise 1: Unless a wolf or a fox is attacking, you are better off with a wooden structure. Assumption: only working from fox to monster. Beyond that is unknown.

Why? In my experience, survival games are a matter of attrition, not overwhelming force. As such, resources and work days are precious, and the wasting or not of them determines who survives longer. For every creature that attacks, barring fox and wolf, they deal more 'work-day damage' on stone structures than wooden.

If you consult http://schwarzwald.lemuria.org/manual/creatures, you will see that typically stone reduces damage by one, except in the case of boars. But every 1 point of damage done to a stone structure will require at least one work day to gather 1 stone, while a wooden structure must sustain 3 damage per gathering workday in repair materials.

Conclusion: Depending on the ratio of wolves/foxes to other animals, wood may be the better option. However, for every wolf/fox hit, you are potentially saving some time (but the wooden structure wood only be repaired after more attacks to be efficient, so it would not be a great loss).

Premise 2: If you are not building a stone wall (building from premise 1), huts are your best option.

Why? Well, wood walls take 2 workdays to build, 3 to gather (with 2 wood left over), and have 5 hp. Huts take 1 workday to build, and also need 3 to gather, (with 1 wood left over), and have 8hp. So 1 less day, 3 more hp, and no chance for them to get damaged inbetween!!! And even somewhere to sleep if desperate ( you may even get another family in it, to help repair it).

Conclusion: Huts ftw!

Premise 3 : It is almost never worthwhile to repair a fence

Why? It costs 2 wood and 2 workdays to repair a cumulative of 2 damage to a fence (1 damage 1 day, 1 damage the next). It costs 2 wood and 1 workday to build a similar fence. And optionally another workday to clear the destroyed fence, with a chance at lumber return. In addition, the damaged fence will protect the new fence, if you desire to upgrade it (although why build fences anyway? :P - refer Premise 1 & 2). Only if it is in a vital position and can't be reinforced with additional walls might it be worthwhile.

Conclusion: Don't repair fences, if you do build them. And if you do build them, put them on the outside row, so if they get damaged, you can place one on the inside row.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Contemplations on gameplay strategy
« Reply #1: September 05, 2016, 08:12:15 AM »
You are mentioning a crucial point there. Yes, I eventually plan to seperate out hitpoints and construction costs. This will be in one of the next updates.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: September 05, 2016, 03:34:12 PM »
You are mentioning a crucial point there. Yes, I eventually plan to seperate out hitpoints and construction costs. This will be in one of the next updates.

Good to know : )

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: September 10, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
I'm currently participating in 7 different games. Any suggestions on how I should keep track of when I have and when I need to man stuff? XD

Considering maybe an excel spreadsheet  ;D

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: September 11, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
I'm currently participating in 7 different games. Any suggestions on how I should keep track of when I have and when I need to man stuff? XD

Considering maybe an excel spreadsheet  ;D

I'll probably limit the number of games you can play simultaneously to something like 5 in the future. Maybe that will help? Aside from that - the in-game diary?

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: September 11, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »
I'll probably limit the number of games you can play simultaneously to something like 5 in the future. Maybe that will help? Aside from that - the in-game diary?

Yeah, I might have to start doing that. And yes, limiting the amount of games that one can play would provide a better quality experience for  players, i think. I'm currently playing 13, and that's enough for now  ???

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: September 12, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
Where have fences been thus far, per-family or village-wide cooperation?

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: September 12, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
Where have fences been thus far, per-family or village-wide cooperation?

In all the games I've been in, although there has been talk of cooperation, it was only where it was mutually beneficial (a plot that defended both families involved) so really it's all been done individually. I the option was there to transfer resources to other buildings then I could see cooperation happening more - half families gathering whilst the others build. At the moment, as you have to gather and build yourself, there's no benefit to working together.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: September 12, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
What if each family claimed a 'section of fence' to be responsible for and half their members gathered/built to support it?

I agree, the ability to have a 'community share' of resources or some other sharing mechanism would help cooperation.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #9: September 12, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
I've seen several games where players discussed joining forces in putting up a fence all around the village.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: September 12, 2016, 09:19:10 PM »
I've seen several games where players discussed joining forces in putting up a fence all around the village.

I've seen it discussed, but not really out into practise, probably due to the issues I mentioned above.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...