Author Topic: South Islands Nostalgia - Because old warriors like to talk  (Read 4484 times)

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
And apparently need to, and have nowhere else to do so.

My SEI character was Vanya (curiously the only char I'm currently playing), whose background story was supposed to have made her a courtier, and eventually a priest, but, well, a friend said they needed knights in this realm called Taselak and I said "well, I'll make her a courtier later then" - they were still called bureaucrats at the time. I can easily say some of my greatest time in battlemaster was spent on that island. There was training for the chain of command, which was great for learning about the battlefield, early turn discussions on orders, strategy plans for weeks ahead including attacks, retreats, taunts, whatever - which left the marshals with only fun stuff to do (kudos for our general there) and some of the funniest roleplays I ever read. Especially when it started to sink. :)

Oh yes, and there were bugs. Lots and lots and lots of bugs, and there were times when the heroes were used as civil work force (that was one of the most distorted things that happened there). That and the fact that it was really hard-core strategy, so doing suicide missions was okay, military slang was all over the place...

Disclaimer: Everyone posting on this thread accepts that the purpose here is to reminisce, and not to make pressure to rebuild the islands nor anything similar. Requests for reinstating war islands will be ignored at the BM Team's will.
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
<-- Sennianus the Mad

'Nuff said.

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
<-- Sennianus the Mad

'Nuff said.

Indeed! I'd love to see a char like that again somewhere. :)
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It wouldn't work anywhere else, I'm afraid. A big, naked, bloodthirsty yet gentle-spirited barbarian wouldn't have a place on any of the current islands :P

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
<-- Sennianus the Mad

'Nuff said.

Memories indeed.

I think I was with him for a while after the SEI was gone, but such times were not to last.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
It wouldn't work anywhere else, I'm afraid. A big, naked, bloodthirsty yet gentle-spirited barbarian wouldn't have a place on any of the current islands :P

Yeah. :(
Though I always thought that the thing about reinforcing medieval atmosphere was that we'd eventually make it so inherent to the game and average character that we'd be able to have the oddball once in a while and he'd be treated like the oddball he is, but still allowed to exist. Does that make sense?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yeah. :(
Though I always thought that the thing about reinforcing medieval atmosphere was that we'd eventually make it so inherent to the game and average character that we'd be able to have the oddball once in a while and he'd be treated like the oddball he is, but still allowed to exist. Does that make sense?

He was an oddball even then. But an appreciated and loved one.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
He was an oddball even then. But an appreciated and loved one.

Aw. :)

I remember him making a bouquet of skulls for Kel's character, or something equally terrifying... so sweet.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

I remember him making a bouquet of skulls for Kel's character, or something equally terrifying... so sweet.

Good times.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile

Nah... he just offered her a severed head on a stake. Then Lek complained about the smell of the rotting flesh, so the next skull he brought had all the flesh boiled off first.