Author Topic: The game really needs "confirmation option" for actions  (Read 8846 times)

T0mislav

Often, especially using mobile phone, it happens that players simply misclick some action... Most of time it is harmless, but I personally had two serious bad lucks during last couple of days:
1st yesterday I misclicked to drop my entire 175 men unit as militia what costed me close to 1000 gold.
2nd today I got W/A 85/100 with 75% training SF center and I misclicked constructing useless center instead, wasting 525 gold + 25 gold for destroying useless center + I am out of hours so I will not be able to construct the SF center at all (my character is on Colonies so he will not get additional hours today and by tomorrow the center will not be there any more).

It would be really nice if it is implemented that actions need to be confirmed before they are conducted (at least those that spend hours, soldiers, food or gold).

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Nope. Not going to happen.

We have some plans to move certain buttons farther apart, but we will not be adding confirmation screens for anything but the most irrevocable of actions (like, say, deleting your character).
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

T0mislav

Moving buttons farther apart would also help greatly.

Zakilevo

Tom hates confirmation buttons. I think he said you should think before you press your buttons.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
Tom hates confirmation buttons. I think he said you should think before you press your buttons.

I've got average sized fingers for a person, and while phone screens are getting larger, the pixel density is getting higher as well. Which means even more pixels can fit under my finger at once.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Indeed, there need to be responsive/mobile-friendly improvements. It's not a matter of not wanting it to happen, its a matter of limited volunteer time between many different player requests or game maintenance.

T0mislav

Misclicking means exactly that: "misclicking"... it does not mean "to click what you wanted to click before thinking about it", but it means "to click something that you did not want to click".
Like Andrew said, on mobile phone it is easily to touch one button with your finger and that it registers like you clicked the other (because they are so close one to each other).

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Misclicking means exactly that: "misclicking"... it does not mean "to click what you wanted to click before thinking about it", but it means "to click something that you did not want to click".
Like Andrew said, on mobile phone it is easily to touch one button with your finger and that it registers like you clicked the other (because they are so close one to each other).

Exactly what I feel, it's incredibly patronising and ill-informed to think that us misclicking is due to "not thinking our action through" rather than the high resolution of phone screens that are relatively small in size in compariso .

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
The game can already detect a mobile client. I don't know how hard it would be, but couldn't you code a confirmation system in for mobile users only in lieu of a future upgrade for mobile layout? Maybe make it togglable from a setting in your profile somewhere.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
I am a mobile player, meaning... I play ONLY on mobile.

Here is the easiest trick to fix all of your issues:
Zoom in on the button you want to press
Use two fingers, put them on your screen and do the opposite of a pinching motion.

If it does not zoom in, find the option on your phones that allow you to forcefully zoom in the page (either Google for your mobile browser or your phone model to find it)

Side note: The worst I've done is delete my roleplay because I accidentally hit the home button  ;D

P.S.: This will help you if you can't read the text and will make your overall mobile experience on any article or small texted site, better.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:23:28 PM by Victor C »
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I am a mobile player, meaning... I play ONLY on mobile.

Here is the easiest trick to fix all of your issues:
Zoom in on the button you want to press
Use two fingers, put them on your screen and do the opposite of a pinching motion.

If it does not zoom in, find the option on your phones that allow you to forcefully zoom in the page (either Google for your mobile browser or your phone model to find it)

Side note: The worst I've done is delete my roleplay because I accidentally hit the home button  ;D

P.S.: This will help you if you can't read the text and will make your overall mobile experience on any article or small texted site, better.

I know how to do that. It's still a game of chance at times though.

Victor C

• Board Moderator
  • Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
I know how to do that. It's still a game of chance at times though.

Zoom in until the only clickable pixels on your screen is that button and I promise you won't miss.  8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:51:35 PM by Victor C »
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Tom hates confirmation buttons.
Normally, we all do. But I've encountered the same problem when accessing BM from my gf's smartphone. Misclicks are frequent and sometimes really devastating.
Can we have it as an optional feature maybe? Not high priority, of course.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
As a general rule of thumb, optional features take more time and effort to code than mandatory ones.

Like I said, we have plans already in place to move the links further apart from each other—we just need the time to implement it.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

T0mislav

Misclicks can happen not only on mobile phone but on PC as well...
How many times happened to you that while you were scrolling middle mouse button you left-clicked unintentionally?
How many times happened to you that something or someone distracted you and you unintentionally left-clicked?
If cursor is on a wrong place when it happens it can mean disaster... happened to me several times - I gave couple of medals that way, sent some unfinished letters, but I also unintentionally dropped one of my uniques about a year ago...

Yes, you can say to me: "You should be more careful." - But this is happening to way too many players... whomever I talked to (who plays the game for at least several months) had at least few unpleasant experiences to share considering misclicking.
But, it is absolutely unnecessary that players suffer at all from misclicking since it is easy to make popup where players are simply asked to confirm their action: "Yes/No". - Why is it so definitely "NO!" about it? I mean, battlemaster is slow game where players need weeks and months to achieve something - . Definitely that Characters should have consequences for their IC actions, but ask yourself is it fair that the game deliberately allows that OOC mistakes (like misclicking) can seriously affect the game IC - even ruin months of PLAYERS' time (for example, I will need about a month to refund lost gold from those two misclicks and who knows when again (if ever) will I get 85/100/75 SF center)?