Author Topic: Cart  (Read 6600 times)

Zakilevo

Re: Cart
« Reply #15: September 21, 2016, 08:47:34 PM »
I think the biggest problem with carts is usually when you have too many wounded men and can't get out of a region, you just stay scattered to heal your men back up. You don't try to use carts to get out when over half of your men are wounded. It just feels cart's role is filled better by healers. Sure healers cost a bit more but even 2~3 healers are better than 1~2 carts in most cases.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: September 21, 2016, 08:54:19 PM »
If they don't slow you down normally then carts still have a good function, if you combine them with healers. After battle, especially when fighting monsters etc and you need to get around quickly, then it can be good to just travel using carts rather than waiting 1 or 2 turns for most of them to heal. It allows for a little bit of extra manouvrebility. Or let's say you had a big fight and want to chase down the enemy, could be worth it.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: September 21, 2016, 09:55:10 PM »
If they don't slow you down normally then carts still have a good function, if you combine them with healers. After battle, especially when fighting monsters etc and you need to get around quickly, then it can be good to just travel using carts rather than waiting 1 or 2 turns for most of them to heal. It allows for a little bit of extra manouvrebility. Or let's say you had a big fight and want to chase down the enemy, could be worth it.

Maybe on Dwilight. On other islands, I don't think the travel hours is long enough for it to benefit much.

Zakilevo

« Reply #18: September 22, 2016, 03:17:21 AM »
Any paraphernalia increases embarking cost and time. More you have, more time and gold you have to spend. It doesn't seem to increase looting amount at all. Doesn't really affect movement as well. Not sure about morale bonus.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: September 22, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
Zakky, what is your point? To do away with a feature some use? To convince others to not use it? You seem really into an anti-carts position, thats fine. I don't care if you hate carts any more than some people hate priests or some people hate mixed infantry etc. But *why* are you arguing so hard against them? I don't think there's any need to remove it because you/some feel its not worth their time, any more than 'modify appearance' or hatred diplomacy will be removed because some think its not worth it. If you're attempting to convince others not to use them, what do you gain by that?

I don't recall off-hand that all paraphernalia increases embarking cost and time, but I know siege engines do.

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: September 22, 2016, 04:43:54 AM »
Zakky, what is your point? To do away with a feature some use? To convince others to not use it? You seem really into an anti-carts position, thats fine. I don't care if you hate carts any more than some people hate priests or some people hate mixed infantry etc. But *why* are you arguing so hard against them? I don't think there's any need to remove it because you/some feel its not worth their time, any more than 'modify appearance' or hatred diplomacy will be removed because some think its not worth it. If you're attempting to convince others not to use them, what do you gain by that?

I don't recall off-hand that all paraphernalia increases embarking cost and time, but I know siege engines do.

I just felt that carts were redundant. It feels like they overlap somewhat with healers. I am trying to think of something to maybe make them a bit more different.

They don't increase the cost that much. Only by 2 per 1. Only siege engines increase time by a lot.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: September 22, 2016, 05:47:41 AM »
Siege engines arespecial. Ever try to get a covered battering ram on a boat? Or a catapult? Or a seige tower? Even broken down, that's a LOT of equipment to move. Carts and other paraphenelia are basically nothing by comparison.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: September 22, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
I just felt that carts were redundant. It feels like they overlap somewhat with healers. I am trying to think of something to maybe make them a bit more different.

They don't increase the cost that much. Only by 2 per 1. Only siege engines increase time by a lot.

Well I can tell you for a fact that on DWI I had no moral issues on our last trip (with 3 carts and 4 healers) and they come in damn handy now after that battle in Duil and for most of the time I had my men still on vanguard and moral was still high enough. Do have to point out here though that every time we fought a battle my moral went up 6 points. His men love fighting I guess?

Zakilevo

« Reply #23: September 22, 2016, 10:52:41 AM »
Well I can tell you for a fact that on DWI I had no moral issues on our last trip (with 3 carts and 4 healers) and they come in damn handy now after that battle in Duil and for most of the time I had my men still on vanguard and moral was still high enough. Do have to point out here though that every time we fought a battle my moral went up 6 points. His men love fighting I guess?

Did it say it happened because of carts? Did you not use mercenary at all?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: September 22, 2016, 03:37:26 PM »
It won't tell you its because of carts; I think it was part of the initial traveltime calculation, not time saved after travel started. When I looked at the numbers, I didn't think it was a very large effect, but an effect nonetheless.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: September 22, 2016, 04:40:58 PM »
Did it say it happened because of carts? Did you not use mercenary at all?

I used mercenary settings for maybe 3 turns or so I think when I got reports of it dropping. Carts were never mentioned though, nor were healers or the settings themselves I think by heart.