Author Topic: Rejected: Royal Edict / Decree  (Read 19629 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Edict / Decree
« Reply #60: January 12, 2017, 05:03:38 AM »
Because let's not forget, GX isn't gonna be the only realm with any such new feature. And I would really suspect most would rather not have to constantly scroll through what is essentially a pinned equivalent of the never updated and rarely useful ruler bulletin.

It would be the equivalent of one message, not really an amazing amount to scroll through even in a quiet realm. (I regularly have to go down the equivalent of several pages to get past all the turn stuff) So I am not quite sure where in the world you could possibly be coming from. Furthermore, you keep saying it would be another Ruler Bulletin, but I doubt that greatly. Ruler Bulletin is usually for stuff that you don't expect to have to change any time during your reign. This would be more for stuff that is relevant for a week or two, but you expect to change semi-regularly.

For example, you wouldn't put the unit settings for the army in the General's Bulletin would you?  So then why would the Ruler put a tournament announcement or other such stuff in the Ruler Bulletin?

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #61: January 12, 2017, 05:56:40 AM »
Mostly I would use it for RP planning/status and other projects That I want to make sure the players see without beating them over the head with multiple messages. Things like "The SuchnSuch Rp will start on Sunday" Or "Talk to SonSo about your wiki" or anything else that comes to mind that might be a good way to invest players who might otherwise have skimmed through and missed it. Things that should be separate from military orders, yet are pertinent to the realm. I got the idea from "Message of the Day" (MoD) notifications one gets in mmo's if they are in a guild. Yes, we are talking about GX now, but I would love to see more realms get built back up to those kinds of numbers.

Investing new players has been a project of mine for some time now. The number one complaint I've had from new people that have left are feelings of being overwhelmed, unable to catch up or make heads or tails of situations they get dropped in the middle of. I and the other GX players have been fortunate to get a lot of people to stick around, but we have gained and lost over 30 accounts and I wonder how many we might have retained had we different tools to anchor them.

To that end, I find existing methods to be cumbersome and ineffective, and co'opting a marshal's standing orders would only add confusion.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: January 12, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »
It would be the equivalent of one message, not really an amazing amount to scroll through even in a quiet realm. (I regularly have to go down the equivalent of several pages to get past all the turn stuff) So I am not quite sure where in the world you could possibly be coming from. Furthermore, you keep saying it would be another Ruler Bulletin, but I doubt that greatly. Ruler Bulletin is usually for stuff that you don't expect to have to change any time during your reign. This would be more for stuff that is relevant for a week or two, but you expect to change semi-regularly.

For example, you wouldn't put the unit settings for the army in the General's Bulletin would you?  So then why would the Ruler put a tournament announcement or other such stuff in the Ruler Bulletin?

Are you kidding? I see unit settings in general bulletins all the frigging time. Maybe GX wouldn't use it as an extra ruler bulletin, maybe it would, regardless, wouldn't stop others from doing so.

Every hollow message is annoying when logging into with a cell. I don't mind too much on my computer, but on a cell... Tack on a destitute royal message the ruler put there forever ago and that's just a vanity disclaimer, to incredibly outdated marshal standing orders as isn't uncommon, to a few pinned messages you haven't gotten to reply to yet or just want to be able to contact someone with the hot dial... on a cell, it gets really long, really fast. And it pops back every. Single. Login.

Mostly I would use it for RP planning/status and other projects That I want to make sure the players see without beating them over the head with multiple messages. Things like "The SuchnSuch Rp will start on Sunday" Or "Talk to SonSo about your wiki" or anything else that comes to mind that might be a good way to invest players who might otherwise have skimmed through and missed it. Things that should be separate from military orders, yet are pertinent to the realm. I got the idea from "Message of the Day" (MoD) notifications one gets in mmo's if they are in a guild. Yes, we are talking about GX now, but I would love to see more realms get built back up to those kinds of numbers.

Investing new players has been a project of mine for some time now. The number one complaint I've had from new people that have left are feelings of being overwhelmed, unable to catch up or make heads or tails of situations they get dropped in the middle of. I and the other GX players have been fortunate to get a lot of people to stick around, but we have gained and lost over 30 accounts and I wonder how many we might have retained had we different tools to anchor them.

To that end, I find existing methods to be cumbersome and ineffective, and co'opting a marshal's standing orders would only add confusion.

Most people don't consult the ruler bulletin because most ruler bulletins are incredibly outdated and were never relevant to begin with.

For the things you mention, I honestly think the ruler bulletin would work quite fine. Every time you update it, the whole realm gets a notification. If you get your players used to looking there for such info, they'll get the habit of doing it.

Of course, people can get overwhelmed by these things in GX... imo, what you ask for isn't the solution, it's pretty much an extension of the cause. Everything is so centralized. It all seems to revolve about bringing everyone around the Xerarch. It's about those singular events that target masses. If it was all broken down into pieces, with groups instead of a singular whole, it would be much easier for participants to keep up. The more massive you make the events, the more people will just give up and skim through it at best, skip it entirely otherwise. Just like the ridiculous tournaments from back in the days. There comes a point where people shouldn't be expected to read it all, and that people should be able to get involved without needing to start binge reading hundreds of messages per day.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: January 12, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
Are you kidding? I see unit settings in general bulletins all the frigging time. Maybe GX wouldn't use it as an extra ruler bulletin, maybe it would, regardless, wouldn't stop others from doing so.

Every hollow message is annoying when logging into with a cell. I don't mind too much on my computer, but on a cell... Tack on a destitute royal message the ruler put there forever ago and that's just a vanity disclaimer, to incredibly outdated marshal standing orders as isn't uncommon, to a few pinned messages you haven't gotten to reply to yet or just want to be able to contact someone with the hot dial... on a cell, it gets really long, really fast. And it pops back every. Single. Login.

Most people don't consult the ruler bulletin because most ruler bulletins are incredibly outdated and were never relevant to begin with.

For the things you mention, I honestly think the ruler bulletin would work quite fine. Every time you update it, the whole realm gets a notification. If you get your players used to looking there for such info, they'll get the habit of doing it.

Of course, people can get overwhelmed by these things in GX... imo, what you ask for isn't the solution, it's pretty much an extension of the cause. Everything is so centralized. It all seems to revolve about bringing everyone around the Xerarch. It's about those singular events that target masses. If it was all broken down into pieces, with groups instead of a singular whole, it would be much easier for participants to keep up. The more massive you make the events, the more people will just give up and skim through it at best, skip it entirely otherwise. Just like the ridiculous tournaments from back in the days. There comes a point where people shouldn't be expected to read it all, and that people should be able to get involved without needing to start binge reading hundreds of messages per day.

Where !@#$ing hell do you see unit settings in a Generals Bulletin? As a person who has held that position, I can tell you that any General who does so and relies on people using that to have the right unit settings is criminally incompetent and should be protested out right away.

Honestly all the things you speak of are a textbook definition of how not to run a realm, and I feel like you're pulling this crap out of thin air.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: January 12, 2017, 09:08:52 PM »
You've...never seen a General's Bulletin with "standard unit settings"?

That's what most Generals' Bulletins contained back in the day. Like, most of them in the game.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: January 12, 2017, 09:11:18 PM »
You've...never seen a General's Bulletin with "standard unit settings"?

That's what most Generals' Bulletins contained back in the day. Like, most of them in the game.

No, no I haven't. Most Generals these days put that in the Standing Orders. You know, because people actually see it.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: January 13, 2017, 01:38:00 AM »
I've certainly seem them and I've played more recently than Anaris and through most of Chenier's absence. I'd even bet that if someone were to poll every general's bulletin in the game, at least 1/3rd would have unit settings in them.

But I'm also curious. Would there be any interest in a setting to ignore notification messages, at your own peril?

Zakilevo

« Reply #67: January 13, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »
I've certainly seem them and I've played more recently than Anaris and through most of Chenier's absence. I'd even bet that if someone were to poll every general's bulletin in the game, at least 1/3rd would have unit settings in them.

But I'm also curious. Would there be any interest in a setting to ignore notification messages, at your own peril?

I used to do that. Standing settings when you fight monsters. Since you mostly use the same settings all the time against monsters, it is easy to do so. Plus usually what new nobles should to on it but I attached wiki pages to do that job since the space is limited. Now I put campaign goals to keep people informed.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: January 15, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
The general's bulletin is the only reliable means to convey unit settings (and other related info) outside of the army structure. Why would you want to do this outside of the army structure?

1) In some realms, there's never any need to change them. You'll change marshals 4 times before doing the slightest tweak to your formations.
2) When there are multiple armies, a centralized location for info can be handy, to avoid differences between armies.
3) And perhaps most importantly, because adding people to armies requires active participation from a lord, and sometimes, you'd rather new nobles be able to simply jump right in with the armies and use the right settings right away, instead of waiting for their lords to assign them to the right army.

I'm sure people have thought of other reasons.

I have no idea in what hole you play in, but I've seen unit settings in general bulletins more than half the time. Perhaps for a simple 4th reason) Generals tend to have no frigging idea what else to put in the damn thing.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: January 15, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »
Then players in those realms could ask the ruler (IC or OOC) to move the info to the ruler bulletin if it's no longer critical. That's hardly a good argument against.