Author Topic: did I get wiped?  (Read 4589 times)

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
did I get wiped?
« Topic Start: October 21, 2016, 05:25:56 AM »
Hi folks!  It's been ages.

I tried to login to the game this evening and the email/password combo in my password manager didn't work.  Strange.

Tried the password reset, and it does't recognize my real name or my email address.  I'm 99% sure that I'm using the correct email.

Do accounts purge after a certain period?  I think I'd activated for a bit within the last year or so.

Confused!
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Zakilevo

Re: did I get wiped?
« Reply #1: October 21, 2016, 05:30:25 AM »
If you haven't logged in for 120 days, you might have lost your account.

I think the notification email goes straight to spam so most people don't see it sadly.

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 21, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »
Ouch!  Is that new-ish?  I have a recollection of people going inactive for longer than 3-4 months and returning.

Sigh.
You should take everything I say with a grain of salt.  But I'm not a werewolf.  Really.

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: October 21, 2016, 05:40:37 AM »
No it has been that way forever. It may soon be changed but not for now.

Some people kept their accounts around but most people just came back with new accounts.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 21, 2016, 05:44:53 AM »
Ouch!  Is that new-ish?  I have a recollection of people going inactive for longer than 3-4 months and returning.

Sigh.

Unfortunately, I believe you'll have to make a new account.

Look at the bright side: a whole new story for you to write has just appeared. Your family? A sudden disease knocked it out... A single man or woman (Your favorite character or whatnot) has started a new name. Or... MAYBE not a disease, but your family was murdered and you switched names to save your remnants.

There's always the possibility of using your old name, no one will judge for doing so.

"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Barek (jerm)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 21, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »
Eh, no thanks.

Part of the appeal to logging back in was to revisit those characters, some of whom I'd invested a couple of years in.  But I haven't logged in for ages, so I'm not really throwing stones.  Gone is gone.

But here's some feedback for the dev team.  A 120 day purge is stupid.

When I started playing, back in 2009, battlemaster was on fire.   More players than you knew what to do with.  And then around 2013 or so, it took a nosedive.  Tom got interested in Might & Fealty.  The ice age hit the continents.  Jenred was gone from Arcaea and Velax took over (good times!).

For a game that seems to be in a slump, it just doesn't make much sense to me to keep a barrier in place that might prevent people from returning.

Eh but what do I know.

Good luck!

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 21, 2016, 06:21:34 AM »
Thanks for chiming in.

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: October 21, 2016, 06:22:39 AM »
Heh good luck to you as well!  ;D

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 21, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
We actually completely agree with you, and are looking into removing that purge. We've just got various other things on our plate at the same time.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #9: October 21, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
We actually completely agree with you, and are looking into removing that purge. We've just got various other things on our plate at the same time.

I think this might be one of those top priority things since the longer you wait, the more accounts you will lose.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 25, 2016, 12:01:05 PM »
My work on the other game is either awaiting action from outside parties or requiring more time than I can dedicate in an evening and still have time for myself, so I took a look.

Rest assured, I'll be bringing up a discussion in the dev area about this, and while I can't promise it because I don't run this game, I'd expect a change on this policy soon.

Accounts that were deleted are still gone though :'(
Like my programming? Become my patron!

mik87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 15, 2016, 09:11:10 PM »
Now I know what happened to my old account. I saw my character's name on the region description I wrote once. It's still there.

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: December 15, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
Now I know what happened to my old account. I saw my character's name on the region description I wrote once. It's still there.

Who are you? :o

mik87

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: January 16, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »
Was in that realm with the bloodfruit religion on Dwilight. That was a fun place.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 05, 2017, 08:22:31 PM »
Aye, this is the main reason I won't rejoin this game. All those years of hard work.. gone. I even put my account into the "deep freeze" option.

Sometimes I log in here and remember the good old days..

And then it gets me thinking about the games that introduced me to text-based games. Makes me sad. GGs everyone.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)