Author Topic: Approved: Judges and Ransom  (Read 2881 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Approved: Judges and Ransom
« Topic Start: October 26, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »
Summary:
Judges should have the option to pay a ransom to an enemy judge to secure the early release of prisoners

Details:
We all know that when going into battle, its important not to have much gold on you, lest you be captured and it stolen. Then of course you sit in limbo for up to a week. I'd like to propose and additional avenue. I think judges should have the option of negotiating and paying a ransom for the release of prisoners. If my king is captured and my realm NEEDS his leadership, I as judge should be able to negotiate his release

Benefits:
As with all my posts, I feel this would add more dimension to the game. In addition to a sense of realism, I believe the new dynamic would add a real sense of excitement to capturing someone important and facilitate realm-wide discussions (in order to raise the funds to PAY for a ransom) as well as inter-realm communication.

Maybe we can even go a step further and set up an extradition option where if I capture someone in battle who has a ban from another realm, that realm can pay me to send my prisoner to them for punishment. Of course, their would be a transit time that would allow the prisoner more time to escape. I'd make a separate post for this, but it all boils down to first implementing this ransom thing.

Conversely, maybe we could implement a feature where I pay the enemy judge to hold the prisoner for LONGER, double the guard to prevent escape, etc. Maybe I don't like the prisoner, maybe the prisoner is my king and I covet his throne. I would love to see something like that happen.

Possible Downsides or Exploits:
I really don't see how this can be abused as it requires two judges from different realms to agree on something
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:00:34 AM by Vita »
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Judges and Ransom
« Reply #1: October 26, 2016, 06:00:07 PM »
I like the idea a lot, but do agree that it needs to be approved by both judges. So not that you as judge now see the ransom and can buy him free. Otherwise people just buy infils free etc.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 26, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »
Extradition is on the Frequently Rejected list, as it would put any infiltrator at risk of execution every time they got captured by anyone.

The main feature request here—a judge paying the ransom for one of his realm's prisoners in another realm, with the imprisoning judge's consent—sounds like a good idea.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 27, 2016, 10:51:30 AM »
I agree this feature could add a nice dimension, if both parties (Judges) agree.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 27, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
Extradition is on the Frequently Rejected list, as it would put any infiltrator at risk of execution every time they got captured by anyone.

The main feature request here—a judge paying the ransom for one of his realm's prisoners in another realm, with the imprisoning judge's consent—sounds like a good idea.

It's why I think these 2 ideas could go alongside each other. Keep the original system (so infils can buy their freedom after like 3 days or so?) but also allow this negotation for the judges to have the Judge pay for earlier release etc where both judges must agree. Again, we must avoid having the judge pay the 'normal ransom' price otherwise infils will walk around with 3 gold and then the judge can buy them out every time cheaply. So the 2 systems should be separate to avoid abuse.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #5: October 27, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
I like the idea. And I agree, the random one judge would pay to get one of their nobles out of the other prison should be different from normal ransom prices.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 27, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
The captor judge should just be entitled to set a ransom price for all his captives (individually), and then the judges of the other realms would be given a link to "pay ransoms...", with the nobles of their realms listed, the number of days they have been there, and the price for the ransom. Probably simpler to code to a back and forth trade/negotiation mechanic.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 28, 2016, 04:08:58 PM »
The captor judge should just be entitled to set a ransom price for all his captives (individually), and then the judges of the other realms would be given a link to "pay ransoms...", with the nobles of their realms listed, the number of days they have been there, and the price for the ransom. Probably simpler to code to a back and forth trade/negotiation mechanic.

That's what I was thinking too! Good idea.