Author Topic: Cavalry RC Only Realm  (Read 2660 times)

Zakilevo

Cavalry RC Only Realm
« Topic Start: October 27, 2016, 04:08:37 AM »
Anyone brave enough to give this a shot? XD

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Cavalry RC Only Realm
« Reply #1: October 27, 2016, 12:04:04 PM »
Cavalry is fine, until you want to take someplace with even a basic palisade, then it sucks. I'm kind of surprised mounted archers are not an option in BM, to tell the truth.

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: October 28, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »
I think the idea was presented. Just that differentiating it with MI is rather difficult.

What should the range be? Should they able to charge? How should they behave?

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: October 28, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
Traditionally the horse was used to provide mobility: the archers would get close (required due to the smallish bows they used), unleash hails of arrows, and use their horses to escape if Infantry tried to close the gap. I'd say range 3 max, no charge ability (since they, from what I can remember, never carried spear or lance nor used the tactic), chance to panic like archers if they reach rearguard and are threatened by melee, perhaps give them the ability to fall back two spaces "riding at a gallop" set so that they pull back if an enemy melee unit can engage with them next turn. Basically they'd ride forward, start shooting the first target they can, and retreat if threatened with close combat.

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: October 28, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
I doubt there will ever be a unit that is allowed to shoot and move back.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 28, 2016, 05:28:53 PM »
I doubt there will ever be a unit that is allowed to shoot and move back.

I don't remember ever seeing this mechanic suggested, though. Could be interesting. Would probably need a lot of thought to balance.

Also, a cavalry-only realm would probably fit well with a theme of raiders, who want to join battles but not destroy enemy realms (and thus nor target their cities). Wouldn't be super efficient, though, probably, but I remember the old days had cavalry-only armies rather commonly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: October 29, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
Not even I would be this crazy Zakky... Only cav and archers I might consider though
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Zakilevo

« Reply #7: October 29, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
Not even I would be this crazy Zakky... Only cav and archers I might consider though

I guess there could be some compromises...