Author Topic: Tips for Being a good adventurer  (Read 10296 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Being a good adventurer
« Reply #15: January 04, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »
Ah, so Listening to Rumors is well worth the time? I have never actually done it before.

Also, screw undead. After this whole discussion I was like, "Hey, I am going to give those old bones another shot" and BOOM I am seriously wounded. Undead can pillage the countryside for all I care.

I think I may switch my main adv to a gatherer. I have one recomondation now, and I think once I get the other two I will try out roleplaying a rise to knighthood. Gotta find those unique items though!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 04, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
Listening to rumors tells you where sages and wizards are.

So yeah.

Also tells you of nice bounties and where hordes are I believe.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 05, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
I find I maybe get one hit when Listening to Rumors... Most of the time I get nothing though. Do different regions have different rumor mills? I am part of the Rangers Guild on Dwilight and I have seen other characters post a laundry list of rumors they have. How the heck to they get that many?

Zakilevo

« Reply #18: January 05, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
High adventurer skill seems to help a lot.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 05, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Cool. You can't train that at the academy can you? lol I guess I will wander, gather, and just save three or so hours after each gather to listen to rumors. I am too invested in this one, can't let her die!

Zakilevo

« Reply #20: January 05, 2017, 11:56:26 AM »
Cool. You can't train that at the academy can you? lol I guess I will wander, gather, and just save three or so hours after each gather to listen to rumors. I am too invested in this one, can't let her die!

You can but it will just be a waste of gold.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 05, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
So best bet is just to pour my gold into Adventuring Gear, wherever I can find it at low cost?

Other than that just listen to rumors and gather? Does gathering increase your Adventuring skill?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: January 05, 2017, 04:01:53 PM »
Adventuring gear does not increase your Adventuring skill. It limits your Adventuring skill.

So if your skill is 40% but you only have 8% gear, you will only gain the benefit of 8% Adventuring skill. But if your skill is 40% and you have 80% gear, you will still only gain the benefit of 40% skill.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: January 05, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »
Absolutely, I understand all that. I am just wondering what the best way to level up Adventuring is without actually hunting.

Ketchum

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: January 06, 2017, 03:22:10 AM »
I had some great fun, stealing, tricking and haggling my way through the adventure game.
Eventually some realm made magic ilegal and actively sought out advies who where selling scrolls and especially portal stones.
This actually made selling them much more fun, and profitable.
There always nobles or other advies who can be cheated upon or have no problems buying things unfairly obtained.

Too many people play too heroic advies who just hunt monsters.
My advy almost completely ignored hunting.
Hes just too much of an opportunistic egocentrical !@#$%^& for that.

Perhaps you should try this approach.
I like your approach. One of my noble character who is a realm Ruler has ordered the Judge to ban magic, portal stones.

We have too many heros around, hero class noble and heroic advies. Should do some anti-hero actions for a change.

It seems like monsters wound you more often but rarely kill you while Undead are easier to kill but if you get wounded by them it's much more likely to be a death.
I agree with you on this. I have 2 dead advys due to undead hunts to testify to that. But then again, someone obviously does not want us to hunt undead :P

I lost a fairly decent adv to an undead champ. I think her swordfighting was around 60. Now I exclusively hunt monsters. Undead seem to be a suicide quest.

My main adv I pretty much hunt with exclusively. My other two I have been experimenting with gathering only, moving to different types of regions. One thing I HATE about gathering is how often you come up empty handed. Drop 16 hours and get nothing is super frustrating. I also accidently dump all 16 hours into gathering, and then have to wait forever to rest. When hunting I find I regularly have enough hours left when too fatigued to continue to be able to rest away most of my fatigue. It just seems to flow smoother to me.

How about investigating? Has anyone found any unique items by simply investigating? I have heard it can be quite common, but I have only ever found unique items by killing alphas. And I have never even come close to having the crap required to build a unique item lol
I lost two advy to undead as well on Belu. Make me shudder to create another advy on Belu :(

Gathering as many forum posters suggest before me. Try gather with as many hours as you can. Spend too less hours? Less reward, items to be found. I do understand the frustration of 16 hours spent for nothing. Been there, done that. Move to next region it is if this particular region not so rewarding.

Nowadays I try both hunting and gathering. Then I figure out buying advy equipments to boost swordfighting and adventuring skills after got enough gold, silver.

I've found some uniques by gathering but it seems it is less effective than investigation. Once you hear a rumour about a unique item, you can simply go to the region to spam investigation until you get the item.
It is my first time gathering I found unique item. See message below.

You search the city for items:

Time is wasted as you have difficulty gathering due to being disturbed by peasants and militia.

A piece of hardened leather, raw material for leather armour.
A goblet of silver, dirty but not broken.
There is something else there as well. You almost didn't notice it, but then it struck you - this must be one of the unique items! You have found the Broadsword of the Mother (Weapon, +7 prestige).
Werewolf Games: Villager (6) Wolf (4) Seer (3); Lynched as Villager(1). Lost as Villager(1), Lost as Wolf(1) due to Parity. Hunted as Villager(1). Lynched as Seer(2).
Won as Villager(3). Won as Seer(1). Won as Wolf(3).
BM Characters: East Continent(Brock), Colonies(Ash), Dwilight(Gary)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: January 06, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: January 12, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
My addvie got 2 unique items off undead on Belu in 3 weeks.  I like the addvy because they are likely to die, but so far I've only been executed.

how I start
- first 7 days fight undead/monster groups 1-3, don't go beyond 4
- alternate fighting up to group 5 / gathering for a few weeks
- keep an eye on gear prices and spend your money on it
- chances are you will find a unique item in 30 days, auction it off and spend the money on gear

Make a mission for your addvie. 
-Two addvies ago, my sole mission was to open portals, it worked out well, then he was executed.
-Three addvies ago, my mission was to expand the addvie guild to other realms. It worked out well, then he was executed.

haven't picked a goal for my new addvie yet.

cheers,

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: January 13, 2017, 08:06:39 AM »
Axerax,

I like your advice about finding a mission. I just engaged in some RPs with one of my adventurers which I hope will keep it interesting and fresh. Trying to build something up in BT. We will see how it goes.

I really think you are right though. My adv on Dwilight I am trying to make a noble, so that is a mission in itself. My other two I was actually thinking of pausing, cause I find them so boring. Then this RP thing fell into my lap, and my BT adv is interesting again.

I say it all the time. This isn't a magical game (not saying there hasn't been hard work put in), but it is the people who play it and interact that makes it really special. I should have listened to myself regarding adventurers lol

Azerax

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: January 13, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
My new addvie is going to be mute and mostly illiterate due to his tongue being cut out. His mission: murder all sages.  Yes, I know this isn't possible in-game, but it will drive him to extremes and insanity trying to do it.

Zakilevo

« Reply #29: January 13, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »
Make 2 advies on the same continent.

Once your first one runs out of hours, pause and switch to the second one! Heck make a third as well!