Author Topic: Question regarding accidental messages  (Read 5859 times)

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Question regarding accidental messages
« Topic Start: November 04, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
If someone accidentally sends a message to the wrong people and then OOc tells them to disregard it. Are we allowed to use it IC?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Question regarding accidental messages
« Reply #1: November 04, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »
The long-standing ruling by Tom is:

If the player knows something, the character is allowed to know it.

No one will be punished for using information in-character that they have no reasonable in-character means of having obtained.

That doesn't mean that it's right to do so, just that it's legal. The ethics, I'd say you have to judge more situationally.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 04, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »
That doesn't seem right to me. Going by that people can use everything on IRC in character

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 04, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
That doesn't seem right to me. Going by that people can use everything on IRC in character

Did I not just say it doesn't mean it's right, just that it's legal?  :P
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 04, 2016, 01:09:12 PM »
The rationale is that no one can police thought, and that disallowing OOC sources would open a floodgate. If you send something by accident to someone, and tell him to disregard it, and he then uses it... who is the say that your intended target didn't share it with him anyways? Are you going to report any such suspicion? The titans would then be forced to investigate every case? What if someone else used your message that you never sent it to? Was it from the legitimate target or the accidental recipient? Can that person be held accountable for information acquired accidently by a third party with no implication from himself? Besides, if a murderer mails the murder weapon to the police by accident, would the court really make the evidence inadmissible because it was only sent to them by error?

The burden lies upon the person that made the mistake. You can't OOC order other players to act a certain way, including ignoring the IC message you sent them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 04, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
I suppose. I dunno, I just think it's wrong to use OOC info as IC stuff.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 04, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
I suppose. I dunno, I just think it's wrong to use OOC info as IC stuff.

Y'know, I feel like I'm typing things, but maybe it's just a delusion...?
Timothy Collett

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 04, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »
But Anaris, if I don't keep you on your toes, how will you stay in shape?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 04, 2016, 02:13:08 PM »
But Anaris, if I don't keep you on your toes, how will you stay in shape?

My toes are in fine shape!
Timothy Collett

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 04, 2016, 02:14:59 PM »
I dunno man. I've heard some things.....

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: November 04, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »
People using ooc in game. Nothing new  :o
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:04:46 AM by Zakky »

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 04, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »
With a bit of imagination, anyone can roleplay a situation where a character can gain information to use in-game, whereupon the information came from an OOC source.
You have to accept that OOC information gets used within game, even by those who desperately try their best to keep things separate, things slip by.

As Anaris said, it doesn't mean it's morally right.
It's just one of those things that i guess we all have to accept happens from time to time, as it's impossible to eliminate.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 15, 2016, 07:59:39 AM »
I've been known to "accidentally" send messages to message groups that enemies can see. Sometimes it's the truth, sometimes it's not. Is the army moving, or is it a misdirection? All in an effort to build F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: November 15, 2016, 08:05:27 AM »
I've been known to "accidentally" send messages to message groups that enemies can see. Sometimes it's the truth, sometimes it's not. Is the army moving, or is it a misdirection? All in an effort to build F.U.D. (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt).

Sounds like chaos gaming to me.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 16, 2016, 02:58:46 PM »

If you then cover it up with an ooc message, though, that's equally immoral.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron