Author Topic: Magic in RPs  (Read 3230 times)

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
Magic in RPs
« Topic Start: November 11, 2016, 12:26:23 PM »
What's the stance on non-scroll magic being used in RPs to cover a detail. For example: an infy writing a Rp about assassinating a target and describes magic similar to Corvo's Blink to get to the target without being seen, level 1 Bend Time to gain the upper hand in escape/assassination and lvl 1 Windblast to throw the target off a balcony/disorient guards.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Victor C

• Noble Lord
  • I didn't know what to write here, so I wrote this.
    • View Profile
Re: Magic in RPs
« Reply #1: November 11, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
Here is the General guidelines for roleplaying.

http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Roleplaying

Try to stay in the era BattleMaster is set in
Even though it isn't punished, or enforced strictly, your character is a noble in a Middle Ages-type setting. As such, he can't fly through the air, use electricity, and gunpowder has yet to be invented. Your character lives in a world dominated by codes of honour, chivalry, and a limited application of science. Thus, he isn't going to be flying in spaceships, wielding magic, or destroying armies with a single wave of an arm.

None scroll magic isn't really possible in the Battlemaster world unless you're a Daimon. The common words use are, "You are not powerful enough to properly use the magic without the assistance of a scroll" or something similar.
"The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things." - Ronald Reagan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 11, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »
This is correct.

Magic is not something players have any access to apart from scrolls and portal stones. Your character can be an amazing assassin, slipping in and out of the shadows, but cannot actually turn into a shadow, teleport, bend time, or control the winds.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 11, 2016, 04:59:10 PM »
This is correct.

Magic is not something players have any access to apart from scrolls and portal stones. Your character can be an amazing assassin, slipping in and out of the shadows, but cannot actually turn into a shadow, teleport, bend time, or control the winds.

Unless, of course, they have a scroll. :3

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: November 11, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »
Unless, of course, they have a scroll. :3

That is what he said...

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 12, 2016, 01:44:12 AM »
Thanks, forgot where that page was.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: November 12, 2016, 05:39:14 AM »
That is what he said...

Note the cat face at the end. It was not a serious comment.

Bronnen

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 14, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
What if you RP having scrolls that allow you to do those things?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 14, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
What if you RP having scrolls that allow you to do those things?

That's rather like saying, "What if we lost the battle, but I RP that we won?"

For situations that are actually covered by game mechanics, it is not considered acceptable to roleplay something that is counter to what the game mechanics say.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan