Author Topic: The cryptozoology of BM  (Read 6231 times)

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
The cryptozoology of BM
« Topic Start: November 12, 2016, 04:12:37 AM »
Is there a list of exceptable monsters and undead we are allowed to use in roleplays?
If there was a list of approved beast and monsters that would be awesome.

Zakilevo

Re: The cryptozoology of BM
« Reply #1: November 12, 2016, 05:05:37 AM »
Is there a list of exceptable monsters and undead we are allowed to use in roleplays?
If there was a list of approved beast and monsters that would be awesome.

They are monsters. RP w/e you want them to be. Of course it wouldn't make any sense to call 30 monsters as 30 dragons but you can still do it if you want to make yourself look fancy.

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 12, 2016, 12:35:51 PM »
As long as I'm ALLOWED to write about them or  krakens im ok!
I was told to limit the monsters to things that are bordering on the realistic side. Which I agree with but what's purpose of writing a roleplay if you're not going to roleplay it to the max.

So basicall, as long as it's tasteful and well-written it's in bounds?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 12, 2016, 03:59:13 PM »
As long as I'm ALLOWED to write about them or  krakens im ok!
I was told to limit the monsters to things that are bordering on the realistic side. Which I agree with but what's purpose of writing a roleplay if you're not going to roleplay it to the max.

So basically, as long as it's tasteful and well-written it's in bounds?
I would add that if its Dwilight, I would encourage bordering on the realistic side more than one would so on other continents. And I would encourage not going full-bore with crazy monsters, but that being said, more roleplay elaborating monster details is great!

I guess my emphasis would be 'scale'; some monsters are more plentiful than others. As Zakky said, not every monster is a fire-breathing dragon, the Loch Ness Nellie (or maybe Lucian's Lake's Lillian), or a Thunderbird. But there might be a bunch of chupacabras, jackalopes, griffons, ants that leave an acidic slime behind them, giant slugs or other giant small creatures, sasquatch, and other more plentiful creatures. Generally, keep it in the milieu, but add creativity to the environment. Or rely on 'ignorance of the medieval mind'. They may have *thought* they saw some crazy monster, but that's because 'crazy monster' is only how they knew to explain the unknown stuff. It was really Great Great Aunt Bertha farting in the woods after eating her chili for a week. I think there is plenty of room for roleplay between the reality of a situation and how our characters (or our NPCs) interpret it. A staffmember comes back from scouting some woods trembling with tales of horned cats, but maybe he was so started, they were really only a normal buck starting to grow their antlers, not the cat-rhinos the scout saw.

Short answer, yes, as long as its tasteful and in-bounds, you should be fine. :) And some of these monstrous legends may be nice to add to region descriptions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:02:29 PM by Vita »

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: November 12, 2016, 07:28:22 PM »
I like to think of them in Lovecraftian terms myself. They are the Alien "other", the nameless multi-formed spawn of Echidna or Shub-Niggurath or Abhoth or Yog-Sothoth or Dagon or other horrors, closer kin to the other dimensional Daimons than the beasts of the woods. They never the less might have spawned from animals or insane human cultists, bred with things better left unthought of. I've used terms like "trolls" and "worgs" for them in roleplay before, but that is because the human mind like to categorize things rather than properly naming them, for indeed they have no names known to man, nor are they so cleanly categorized.

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 12, 2016, 10:29:22 PM »
I have a whole list of monsters to fill both Xavax and Dwilight writting about and now that i know the sky is possibly the limit. Im gonna let you all have it lol... stay close to to the forums its gonna get good. ;D ;D

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: November 12, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
When I had a character in Westgard, I used to call monsters crags. RPed them like zerglings.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 13, 2016, 02:01:29 AM »
I tend to imagine something akin of trolls. They have no ranged attack, no great speed or flight. Just big, strong, and cowardly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: November 13, 2016, 04:39:48 AM »
Im thinking of writing about a spinx or chimera... the monster hordes have definitely been strong enough in Dwilight for it to be a realistic role play.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: November 13, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
Plus the only monsters I ever remember having been described by GMs, the hordes of Gilgamesh, were humanoid.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: November 13, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
Plus the only monsters I ever remember having been described by GMs, the hordes of Gilgamesh, were humanoid.

There is of course the: Demonic spiders, demonic badgers...demonic lots of strange things on Beluaterra
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: November 13, 2016, 05:15:04 PM »
I've always viewed the monsters as being like Warhammer's beastmen.

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: November 13, 2016, 08:37:17 PM »
I've been reading a book series that describes in pain staking detail the monsters of the Netherworld. It's good to know there is a reference guide for those.

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: November 14, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »
Generally, I just go with the traditional fantasy stuff. Low CS undead? Skeletons and Zombies. High CS undead? Liches, Death Knights and Vampire Lords. Low CS Monsters/Rogues? Direwolves and Goblins/Bandits. High CS Monsters/Rogues? Dragons.

I've been reading a book series that describes in pain staking detail the monsters of the Netherworld. It's good to know there is a reference guide for those.
What book?
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Rhynehardt Blood

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: November 14, 2016, 09:23:35 AM »
The sovereign of the Seven isles by David A. Wells