Author Topic: If Dwilight was to be redrawn...  (Read 22296 times)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwilight was to be redrawn...
« Reply #15: November 29, 2016, 03:23:26 AM »
As long as you're poking at stuff, assume that if the Zuma are coming back, they can get used to whatever changes might be made.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: November 29, 2016, 03:28:20 AM »
Honestly, overall, I like the first one better: I think that if we were to change the continent, we should do so to bring everything closer together, the continent more like a circle, and not have any big gaps like the one in the south of the subsequent versions.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #17: November 29, 2016, 03:52:56 AM »
Me too. First one plus some water ways to allow the inner sea to be completely connected. I really like the whole inner sea idea allowing nobles to travel vast distances using sea zones. Wish the game supported river ways too but that is probably beyond what the game can handle or requires too much work.

I'd also bring cities closer to the center rather than keep them facing the outer ocean. Sure wouldn't mind having one or too but the map has too many outer cities.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 05:01:36 AM by Zakky »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: November 29, 2016, 04:29:21 AM »
Me too. First one plus some water ways to allow the inner sea to be completely connected. I really like the whole inner sea idea allowing nobles to travel vast distances using sea zones. Wish the game supported river ways too but that is probably beyond what the game can handle or require too much work.

I'd also bring cities closer to the center rather than keep them facing the outer ocean. Sure wouldn't mind having one or too but the map has too many outer cities.

Yep, that all sounds pretty good.

(But what do I know, I'm sleep-deprived ;D )
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: November 29, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »
I'll look into it. The final one has a more spread-out shape, but that's only because the more civilized parts were crammed even closer together (no vast deserts), the only distant parts being the wild parts we weren't likely to claim anyways. Didn't really like those open areas to begin with, either, the last one has lands that is more likely to be envied by multiple realms.

As for river travel... that's really a non-issue I think. Nothing stops us from making thin sea zones for them.

For the eastern coastal cities... they could be moved further inland, or regions could be added around them? The main issue was not the presence of coastal cities in that area, I think, but rather the lack of inland ones. Already added one in Caylin for that purpose. I tend to favor addition when it comes to occupied lands, though I also try to limit additions overall.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: November 29, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
I tried moving the south-west to the east, but it just displaces the problem. Eventually, you just have a dead-end strip of land.

Unless...?

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #21: November 29, 2016, 07:16:46 PM »
That new portion just ruined the map for me.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: November 29, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
Haha, yea, I don't like it either.

I'm thinking a new island might be better.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: November 29, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »
This actually uses the old islands that had been scrapped

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: November 29, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
A few tweaks and more sea routes, though I think that with the geography changes, sea routes could be removed completely from the map and have people rely on sea travel. Every realm that relied on sea routes for intra-realm travel would not have a land passage substitute.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: November 29, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »
Loving that last map you made Chenier.

Also, Storm's Keep isn't a useless stronghold. Don't forget that it was the site of one of the largest battles in Dwilight history because of the conflict between the "Saxons" and Morek. Even if there were some shenanigans being pulled, I wouldn't write off Storm's Keep.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: November 29, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
But that wasn't because Storm's Keep is guarding anything in particular. It's because the group that angered practically the entire continent happened to have that as their last bastion of strength.

(And it was only such a huge battle because of the Saxons' propensity for both multicheating and abusing loopholes to drain family gold near-infinitely.)
Timothy Collett

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: November 29, 2016, 09:26:19 PM »
But that wasn't because Storm's Keep is guarding anything in particular. It's because the group that angered practically the entire continent happened to have that as their last bastion of strength.

(And it was only such a huge battle because of the Saxons' propensity for both multicheating and abusing loopholes to drain family gold near-infinitely.)

Why do you have to bring logic into the equation ;w; *cries in a corner*

Zakilevo

« Reply #28: November 29, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
Again, BM doesn't have any navy so no point on having any strongholds by the coast lines. I'd either remove them or place them in more reasonable places where it makes sense to put one.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: November 29, 2016, 11:14:02 PM »
Is this just theoretical or are we actually considering this? I can't say any of these really interest me. The ones that separate the southern land bridge are a very bad idea. It would just throw off the flow of the continent. I don't like the idea of eliminating donut regions either. I've always liked them because it makes it possible to have an actual siege, the extra travel time is worth it.

I can see how Storm's Keep serves as a refuge and little more, but what about adding a ferry lane from there to Cold Spring or Springdale? Then it will have a real choke point to defend and could be a rallying point for invasions. (Ferry lane attacks have better odds against a fortified region then attacking by sea correct?)

Also I've always thought it would be cool to turn those two little isolated uninhabited islands into island strongholds. Perfect for founding pirate realms.