Author Topic: The Shameless Westgard Recruitment Thread  (Read 56303 times)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
The Shameless Westgard Recruitment Thread
« Topic Start: November 29, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
Pretty much as the subject heading says, a shameless recruitment appeal designed to give you an idea of what Westgard is like if you're thinking about looking for a new place to play.

Westgard is the only realm currently completely based in the west of Dwilight. It was founded by the Dev Team to be a home for players who were forced to migrate characters to Dwilight during the island closures. It still has a fair number of the nobles who arrived at that time, but it's also gained a few people from other sources. Generally, it maintains its position as the realm with the largest noble count on Dwilight, alongside being one of the smallest realms in terms of number of regions.

As a frontier realm, it's constantly under attack by the monsters and undead of the west. This leads to an endless war against the monsters, with plenty of battles. As a result, the realm has a strong PvE gameplay experience. It normally has several battles per week, both large and small. Generally speaking, most people can be funded to lead respectable units into battles. So lots of action.

In terms of both the practicality of its location and its established roleplay, Westgard doesn't really seek conflict with other realms. It considers itself to be the Shield of Humanity with a Calling to defend the civilised lands of the east against the vicious, ravening beasts of the wilds. Broadly speaking, it's on good terms with the other nearby realms. So, Westgard isn't the run-of-the-mill BM realm. It's intentionally something different. There are clear parallels with the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones, but we've tried to make it something less derivative than just a straight copy of that.

There are plenty of opportunities for roleplay (whether writing roleplays or just how you play your character). The realm doesn't have much of a religion going, so there's room for someone to create something there. Whether it be to try to introduce one of the native Dwilight religions to Westgard or create something new. Westgard's native 'religion' is called The Virtues, but it's not a religion in the common sense. It's more like a code of personal conduct akin to chivalry or a similar oath.

So, in summary, Westgard is a realm with a clear and distinctive theme. It's intentionally not like other realms, particularly in that its main focus is fighting NPCs - which may or may not be to your liking according to your tastes - some will find it interesting, while others will find it a bore. It's a pretty active realm for those willing to get involved. Almost all letters I see are answered by someone. It has a very large number of battles because it's endlessly at war with the hordes. Mostly, people have good level of funding to maintain units. There's a pretty strong team spirit in the realm that makes it an enjoyable and friendly playing environment.

And that's all I can think to say at the moment. This isn't a recruitment thread just aimed at getting more players to boost one side or another in a war, it's just because Westgard is an interesting and different place to play that has things to offer in terms of adding to your enjoyment of the game. I can honestly say that it's the most interesting realm I currently play in.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: The Shameless Westgard Recruitment Thread
« Reply #1: November 29, 2016, 10:35:02 PM »
This man has no shame!

Join Westfold instead! It's in the East but called WESTfold. That's how stubborn we are.

Hoozah!
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: November 30, 2016, 02:03:13 AM »
Westfold deserves to die. How dare it take that name, and not even be in the West!?!

As for Westgard, I've been liking my time there so far. Foxglove seems to me like one of the best rulers I've been under in quite a while. I can't even remember all that many rulers I enjoyed being under, either. Does stuff, shares stuff, doesn't try to micromanage everyone. Maybe I lowered my standards, though. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: November 30, 2016, 02:22:32 AM »
Maybe I lowered my standards, though. :P

Yep, that's sure to be it!  ;)

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: November 30, 2016, 03:03:23 AM »
If anyone feels like being in a realm that gets hit by monsters a lot less, you can always join Astrum XD

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: November 30, 2016, 06:22:29 AM »
If anyone feels like being in a realm that gets hit by monsters a lot less, you can always join Astrum XD

Boo, you already have enough nobles.

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: November 30, 2016, 06:28:31 AM »
You fool! There is no such thing as enough nobles in BM!  8)

Gordy77

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: November 30, 2016, 12:45:20 PM »
I think out of all my years playing BM, penning the Virtues for the first Archon Nethercoate was one of my great achievements.

Shulee

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: December 03, 2016, 01:02:14 AM »
Westfold carries its name legitimately. It was formed by the remaining exiles from Asylon and Nisleur from the original monster invasion of West. Our cities overrun and no hope of support (and certainly no sympathy for our plight from the dev team or anyone else) we went east and took up with the only realm that didn't want to submerge us in their culture.

Fueled by promises long kept by the Lurian government we served as the spearpoint of their army against almost all Luria. As just repayment for our service to their emperor, we wrested the new realm of Westfold, so named in honour of our birthplace, from the bones of  old Corsanctum and Morek.

While our realm is one of the newest in Dwilight its antecedents and history are ancient and storied.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: December 13, 2016, 11:44:36 PM »
OP applies just for nobles or adventurers as well? It seems to me that it would be a great place for adventurer character. Challenging but fun.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: December 14, 2016, 08:42:44 AM »
OP applies just for nobles or adventurers as well? It seems to me that it would be a great place for adventurer character. Challenging but fun.

I've played as an adventurer on Dwilight. Had the most fun there (adventurer on BT less). There are groups and guilds and roleplays for adventurers to join on DWI which makes it a lot more fun.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Foxglove

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: December 15, 2016, 01:54:04 PM »
Westgard treats its adventurers well... for smelly commoners  ;D They might be commoners, but they're still doing the good work of opposing the hordes. There's a healthy market for unique items for those who want to focus on gathering rather than fighting.

Jaidan

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 09, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
After reading your compelling message, I have come to join the realm of Westgard!

This is my first day, and everything seems quite new and overwhelming, so please let me know if you have any advice.  I have read the initial guides, but I'm not sure how to best use my time as I begin life in this new realm.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 09, 2017, 05:23:18 PM »
After reading your compelling message, I have come to join the realm of Westgard!

This is my first day, and everything seems quite new and overwhelming, so please let me know if you have any advice.  I have read the initial guides, but I'm not sure how to best use my time as I begin life in this new realm.

Well you picked a great place to start, since that's where our armies are. One of our problems is that most of our lands tend to be occupied by monsters most of the time, so anyone that creates a character in Westgard tends to have the brutal initiation of fighting along against thousands of CS of rogues. :P

For now we are just waiting for another fight with the monsters, better check your unit settings to make sure you are going to deploy properly and not in front of everyone else. Then I'll be issuing orders after the battle, in about an hour or so.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jaidan

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 10, 2017, 06:03:05 AM »
Trial by fire, eh?  Sounds like a good way to start!

That was lucky to meet up with the army so early.  Sadly, I spent my hours training my men (based on the Standing Orders) before I received your message that the Orders were outdated, so I'll be late to Gaston Farms.  My apologies :(

I'll march to rejoin the army at the next reset, so hopefully that won't be too late.  My archers are set to 2DB per the Standing Orders, so I'll be ready to fight when I catch up!