Author Topic: Modifying TMP Training Reductions  (Read 84516 times)

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Modifying TMP Training Reductions
« Reply #45: September 01, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
I.e. if your character is an !@#$%^&.

It works for the Himoura's? :D

But the point remains - we can change coding to make it *easier* to fight wars.   

Regions can get hard hit while the armies are away, reducing these effects through "bonuses" allows for more continued fighting and less required maintenance, placing the focus back on the "battle" part of battlemaster.   

Have looting, scavenging, and even TO's provide gold to the army chest allowing for cheaper repairs and refits.

More honour and prestige gains from fighting player armies - with the chance of gaining something unique or special during combat (especially since now we know which units attacks which).

Combined with the new changes coming for estates hopefully we will see a return to where it was easier to TO regions, regions could rebuild more quickly, and an increased ability to wage war through the "bonuses" (ie: reduced penalties) to leaving regions unattended for long periods.

As we always argue - there are lots of minor nobles around, we're just the top few.   Your region shouldn't go to hell in a hand basket just because the local Lord isn't there, heck - if he's from some backwater region he probably rarely goes there.   That's why he has stewards and minor nobles, they can do the normal work for him.  He's out at the Capital trying to impress people about his importance.

Fighting wars should be encouraged by making it easier to continue fighting them - as pointed out with the Zonasa war, even though they were fighting a war, the long refit times actually was causing TMP to hurt their regions and make it tough for them to fight!   This is the problem with the way TMP works.   

egamma

« Reply #46: September 01, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
I.e. if your character is an !@#$%^&.

I.e. if he behaves like a medieval noble that keeps peasants and slaves and runs around hanging peasants because they looked suspicious.  Why do we expect our characters to treat each other with so much more respect than they treat those beneath them? The content of one's character is revealed by what one does those who can't do anything about it.

Phellan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: September 01, 2011, 09:01:38 PM »
I.e. if he behaves like a medieval noble that keeps peasants and slaves and runs around hanging peasants because they looked suspicious.  Why do we expect our characters to treat each other with so much more respect than they treat those beneath them? The content of one's character is revealed by what one does those who can't do anything about it.

Because, anyone who outranks you can do exactly that to you.    Lip off the king - lose your head.   No questions asked.     The only issue is apparently Tom opted to make it so we can't kill each other off quite so efficiently.

Also, the fact is peasants and rabble. . .are just that.   Rabble.   Nobles aren't even related to them - they are a different kind of people, a better breed.    Born to rule, lead, conquer, and divine the correct way of living for those who were put on this planet for them to order around.    Other nobles are NOT peasants nor rabble.

Treat a noble like a commoner, and you effectively say you are a commoner - that's a big no no.    Nobles ARE better than peasants - you must maintain that belief, if you don't then the entire class structure breaks down.   Part of that structure means treating Nobles as your equals and not like peasant scum.     Threatening that structure is a huge faux pas, it means you might give some credence to the peasants and middle class who think they can do without Noble rulership.   

Such questions and actions are exactly what led to the downfall of most monarchies and religious rulerships - as nobles we can't have people questioning how good we are, or how special.   It simple IS.  If it's not, then . . .well.   the peasants might decide to rule themselves.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #48: September 02, 2011, 01:48:16 AM »

The TMP code has been in the game for what, over 2 years? It has changed nothing in that time so I highly doubt it ever will. All it has done is make players hate it and cause problems where none are needed. It's a failed experiment that needs to be put down as much as some of the other failed experiments.

Closer to 4 or 5, although this seems to be a new version of it. And you are leaving out the years of discussing all of these ideas you are having now about how to break up the deadlock and get wars going again.

Call it a roughly 8 year problem, that seems finally to be taken seriously.

I look around now, I see wars in most places. I see a few realms who aren't having wars, and are being hurt. I think it's working out just fine.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: September 02, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »
I tend to agree.  Are there cases where TMP is causing problems where it probably shouldn't?  Sure.  Is there more fighting on every continent because of it?  Hell yes.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater, here.  Moving from penalties to bonuses sounds like a fine thing, but TMP is important as a concept.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

BardicNerd

• Noble Lord
  • Evans Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: September 02, 2011, 03:50:27 AM »
I tend to agree.  Are there cases where TMP is causing problems where it probably shouldn't?  Sure.  Is there more fighting on every continent because of it?  Hell yes.
Can you provide good and strong evidence to back that claim up?  Because that has not been my experience.  I know that Zonasa's ruling council has never really considered TMP (though we haven't been hit by it much -- some but not a lot), and the only way TMP is factoring into my calculations of going to war as ruler of Libero Empire is 'has TMP made us too weak to be able to go to war, and will we ever be able to go to war again because of it?' -- I'm looking for a war as a way to provide something interesting to the PLAYERS, because most of them are losing interest, and the only thing TMP is doing for us is destroying our military before we can even get in position to go to war.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: September 02, 2011, 03:57:42 AM »
Atamara.  Whole island got involved in the war instead of sitting it out, and I know that at least some of that was due to TMP.  FEI had some of the same in the last war, with a few realms getting involved because of TMP concerns more than diplomatic ones...And turned it into a fun war.

Probably going to end up influencing events in south-eastern Dwilight significantly as well.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #52: September 02, 2011, 05:11:49 AM »
Can you provide good and strong evidence to back that claim up?  Because that has not been my experience.  I know that Zonasa's ruling council has never really considered TMP (though we haven't been hit by it much -- some but not a lot), and the only way TMP is factoring into my calculations of going to war as ruler of Libero Empire is 'has TMP made us too weak to be able to go to war, and will we ever be able to go to war again because of it?' -- I'm looking for a war as a way to provide something interesting to the PLAYERS, because most of them are losing interest, and the only thing TMP is doing for us is destroying our military before we can even get in position to go to war.

You should have seen it coming - it wasn't a surprise that was suddenly activated. You are sitting in the quietest, safest corner of the island - you've had plenty of time to build up your armies.

Loan out a small group of men as mercenaries. Ban "commoners" from leaving the estates so monsters build back up. 

Use your imagination a little.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: September 02, 2011, 05:13:25 AM »
You should have seen it coming - it wasn't a surprise that was suddenly activated. You are sitting in the quietest, safest corner of the island - you've had plenty of time to build up your armies.

Loan out a small group of men as mercenaries. Ban "commoners" from leaving the estates so monsters build back up. 

Use your imagination a little.

Have a rebellion and pit your weakened forces against the rebels weakened forces :)
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #54: September 02, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
Have a rebellion and pit your weakened forces against the rebels weakened forces :)

Why think so small?

Have a SUCESSION first, then a DOUBLE REBELLION, followed by a WAR of UNIFICATION!

and that's just off the top of my head...  :P

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #55: September 02, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
Or are you arranging it IC "We must keep the peasants in check!  We have always been at war with Oceania!" with the possibility that something will go wrong IC and the war will spiral?

Also, if I pull this off, can I claim Magnificent Bastard status?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: September 02, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »
Also, if I pull this off, can I claim Magnificent Bastard status?

Only if you win the ensuing war.

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #57: September 02, 2011, 08:51:54 AM »
Only if you win the ensuing war.

Welp, I'm boned.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: September 02, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
Atamara.  Whole island got involved in the war instead of sitting it out, and I know that at least some of that was due to TMP.  FEI had some of the same in the last war, with a few realms getting involved because of TMP concerns more than diplomatic ones...And turned it into a fun war.

Probably going to end up influencing events in south-eastern Dwilight significantly as well.

Meh..Atamara is following the same cycle of peace-war it has always followed. Atamara always goes from "Everyone is at war" to "Everyone is at peace" and then after a few months of peace it's back to "Everyone is at war". This has happened pretty much without exception ever since I started playing the game. It hasn't needed TMP threats for that to happen.

Really, if people see a chance to go to a war that offers them some fun without being in the ball park of "This will kill our realm", they'll go for it be there TMP or not. The problem with TMP is that it pushes for war with hefty penalties when war means death to your realm and that's just plain bad for the game and boils down to the game giving the middle finger to the players in such realms.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #59: September 02, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
Meh..Atamara is following the same cycle of peace-war it has always followed. Atamara always goes from "Everyone is at war" to "Everyone is at peace" and then after a few months of peace it's back to "Everyone is at war". This has happened pretty much without exception ever since I started playing the game. It hasn't needed TMP threats for that to happen.

Really, if people see a chance to go to a war that offers them some fun without being in the ball park of "This will kill our realm", they'll go for it be there TMP or not. The problem with TMP is that it pushes for war with hefty penalties when war means death to your realm and that's just plain bad for the game and boils down to the game giving the middle finger to the players in such realms.

It's been around by your estimate for 2 years and by mine 4-5.

Why all the doomsaying now? Name the realms it's devastated.