Author Topic: Magic On EC  (Read 21707 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Magic On EC
« Topic Start: December 22, 2016, 01:30:02 AM »
I actually find this to be more exciting and enjoyable. Honestly a war can have a period of dull marching back and forth to and from battle, so having these unexpected events occur is very fun. That and the fact that all of the events I've seen from portals have been extremely random. I mean, one of them had a horde of random mob enemies attack the very place it was meant to save (speaking of Donghaiwei during the HD vs Astrum war). If portals became just RP events only, then you'd have the same issue that you have with religion, where it doesn't even matter for the most part and no one bothers to participate.

Also, low fantasy does not mean no magic. It means that it does not have all the attributes of high fantasy. So magic does exist, and can have effects, but it is by no means available to the average person and requires extraordinary measures to bring about. The main focus in Battlemaster in a low fantasy sense is instead on the fact that other species do not exist, with an arguable exception of Outer Tilog and Sirion. And even then, you could say that Outer Tilogians are just insane and the Sirion has humans who cut their ears weird in some sort of culture oddity, when looking from the outside in. In addition, battles are not decided by magic, but by strength of arms in the traditional medieval sense.

That is what makes it low fantasy, not this misconception that it has to have a complete absence of magic or supernatural occurrences.