Author Topic: Tutorial - creating a new and updated one for beginning players  (Read 20650 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Ok great, I will see if I can edit the sound up on the other ones, if not I will re-record the same way.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Gildre,

I loved your video tutorials. I'm sure you're busy and didn't think of making or editing more.

But just to re-spark this discussion, any progress on this?

Thanks a lot!
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Awww dang it is the map fiasco all over again! Haha yes I fully intend to redo the quiet videos and complete the ones that aren't done. I am back in Canada now though, and a house with two kids and a wife is not a quiet atmosphere for making video tutorials haha!

I promise I will work on them when I get chances though and keep progress posted here!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Not a problem, do it at your own pace  :)

Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Amazing work Gildre, youtube videos are a great idea.

The first and main critique I would have however is that the videos are still too long. Personally I'd say around 3 to 5 min videos max.

BM by definition is way too much info and there's too much to do, I know, but for tutorials we should stick to minimal info that people need to know to play. I'm looking at the information video atm and we mention and explain every different thing, but for things like 'realm list' you can just say: "this shows a bunch of information on realms and you can view them per realm, which includes their income roughly, who are their government members and where their capital is etc" and then not click on it, but just go to the next....

Or even more extreme, say: "Most of these speak for themselves and you can just click on them to get some more info from them, but there are a few which you'll use more often and I'll go into them a bit deeper:...."

I see that this topic has died out a little bit, but Wimpie and me are pulling it back to the forefront and gonna work on it. Do you have the time for new videos, or otherwise mind if we try to make a few ourselves?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
As a draft of what to mention and what not in the video's, I was thinking of this:

Remarks as I go through the process of creating a new account:
-        Why not go directly to noble creation page, rather than to family overview

-        Start with explanation of BM: Turn based RPG in medieval setting, focused on interacting with the noblemen and enjoy the rise, struggles and joys of being a noblemen.

Step 1) Account creation is rather straight forward

Step 2) Noble creation
- Most is self explanatory
        - Age, older does give you a little bit of extra skills, but that’s it. Pick what’s best for your RP
        - Continent explanation is pretty good, maybe say that if you don’t like it, you can always pause and try a different continent. People on the chat will generally be able to help you if you want.

Step 3) Play the noble:
- You first see a bunch of letters
                              - explain difference between Orders, reports etc
               - Explain left menu, that it’s basically 99% of what you’ll use and it gives you access to everything
- Messages: Most important, as interaction is by far the most important aspect of the game.
                              - Left details who you’re sending your message to. You’ll be using all/some of your realm mates the most by far, as you can pick one, or several of the nobles in your realm if you want to engage
                                privately as well.
- Right offers an overview of the messages you’ve had and sent, if you want to look at them again.  Add what happens when you have a new message.
- Information: Shows all kinds of info, most of it is just fun to go through and look at, and I recommend doing that if you want and have the time, but you don’t have to do it now, it’s a lot of info.
                              - Explain in detail: Political/dynamic map; Diplomatic relations; the bulletins; realm laws, paraphernalia overview, scribe notes and military advisor
Politics: Nothing you should be touching yet, assuming you chose a good estate. This will be discussed in a more advanced tutorial.
Travel: Super important, it’s your way of moving from region through region. If you’ve looked at the map before, you might get an idea of where you want to go, but you can only travel to one region further away, even if you have the hours for 2 regions. Once your liege appoints you to an army, your Marshal should normally tell you where to go if there is war.
               - Explain misdirect and delay arrival
Actions: Basically everything you can do with the character himself beyond the things previously.
               - Small tip: The options that end in … mean you won’t do it right away, but get another choice menu. The ones without … go into effect right away (beware of the missclick).
               - Some actions take hours, (sometimes even without reporting it, like visiting family, but of course that takes time right), try them out, but you won’t be using most of them just yet. Changing classes, emigrating, training at the academy, that’s usually stuff for later down the road, so don’t worry about it for now.
-        Guildhouses and Temples however might be interesting. Quick note, no character can be an atheist, but you also don’t have to follow an existing religion. You’ll just have your local deities or what not. But you can always write religions you come across to see what they’re about.  They have to have a temple in the region you’re at to see them, the same for guilds. Guilds have so many purposes, if you want to learn more, click on it, look at the description and you can always write to the elders. Joining often doesn’t cost that much, and you can always leave.

Orders: These are all the things you can do with your new unit.
-        Settings: How they behave on the battle field, your marshal should give you these, so you fight in the same formation as the others.

-        Field camp generally should be avoided, it doesn’t do much but waste your hours and training takes valuable time also, which you often need for traveling, so watch out with those 2.

-        Then there are a bunch of stuff you can’t do just yet, for different reasons which are explained behind each of them. A general practice, don’t loot or Hang rebels unless ordered as they can have quite some nasty consequences.

-        Paraphernalia is very important, as a typical guideline I often have 1 healer per 25 men and for infantry and cavalry, uhu you can ride horses later on, 1 banner per 20 men or so.  Scouts are always handy, but you can’t get those in cities. The rest are very specific things, but feel free to just try everything out.

Family – get back to your overview (in case you want to make a second character and get overloaded with even more info!)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Very nice! My comments:

Information:
 - paraphernalia overview not so important imo, refer to it below.
 - Realms and Regions is pretty important page as well, seeing realm info and region info on detailed pages
Travel:
 - use routefinder to calculate a route from point A to B which can be across the entire realm
 - Seazones if you're on testing island
Orders:
 - Not sure why you would explain field camp
 - Paraphernalia: I'd rather explain that these can be recruited from any region in the realm given they have the house built (and explain an overview is in information tab) Not go into detail how much you need of what
 - Unit can only be recruited/added to in capital
 - Explain scouting and how to do/share it
General:
 - Explain the footer and the shortcuts from there.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:33:23 AM by Wimpie »

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thanks, that's really helpful!

- Paraphernalia overview shows where you can get what. Typically what I'd see happening is: Marshal: "Yeah get some banners and some scouts and some healers alright" ; New Player: "Sure, but where can I buy those? I have banners and healers, but don't see scouts?"

- Realm and Region also for beginning players? The stats are nice, but are they needed to actually play the game properly? Even I hardly ever look at them myself

- Routefinder, yup as well as Seazones, agree!

- Field camp, cause it's useless but you generally click on it when you're new just to see what it does, but I could leave it out :p

- Paraphernalia, makes sense

- Capitol recruitment, should definately add that

- Scouting should indeed also be added

- As well as the footer, agree 100%

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
On this topic, it might be worth pillaging some of the player written guides for content. For instance: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Bluthammer_Family/Mentorship_Book

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Also see: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Mentoring

Thanks! I'll take a look. Personally I also would prefer to see the old mentor system return, if not slightly altered.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thanks, that's really helpful!

- Paraphernalia overview shows where you can get what. Typically what I'd see happening is: Marshal: "Yeah get some banners and some scouts and some healers alright" ; New Player: "Sure, but where can I buy those? I have banners and healers, but don't see scouts?"

- Realm and Region also for beginning players? The stats are nice, but are they needed to actually play the game properly? Even I hardly ever look at them myself

I know what the paraphernalia overview is, I made it :-D But okay if you feel that way. It'd be the first I'd leave out if it becomes too long though.

Realm & Regions to see:
  • Who is Ruler/General/Judge/Banker
  • What region is capital
  • when is taxday
I find that pretty helpful things  :)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Thanks! I'll take a look. Personally I also would prefer to see the old mentor system return, if not slightly altered.
That's one of those longstanding TODO projects. It was on my agenda and then life happened.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Alright here's the second attempt of making the video. Based on the feedback I received I elaborated more on several parts, which makes the video 5 mins and would require a second video of most likely 5 minutes to explain the rest of the 'basics'.

Check video here:
https://youtu.be/r0MvnUOCM_8

There are a few questions I have and particularly want feedback on:

1) Tone of voice, is it fine, would you generally prefer a more enthousiastic approach, or a more serious one than this?

2) Is the video too long, or fine?

3) Are there things you think that shouldn't have been mentioned in video?

4) Are there things you think should definately be added to this video?

I'm Dutch, so don't be scared to give some honest and even harsh sounding feedback as long as it's with good intentions  ;)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Love it!

The only thing I would have added is that you could check the political map of each continent when you're selecting a continent. That might give the player an idea of what it looks like.

But it's not worth shooting the video over for. These are things they can read by themselves whenever they create a char.