Author Topic: Tutorial - creating a new and updated one for beginning players  (Read 20664 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Anyone else with feedback?
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Update! Made the second part as well, so here are both. Would love some feedback:

Part 1] https://youtu.be/r0MvnUOCM_8

Part 2] https://youtu.be/Jf5r-fLhpgk
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I think they're good to include them on the current tutorial pages.

As well as on the new character joining page.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I think they're good to include them on the current tutorial pages.

As well as on the new character joining page.

I've had two players comment the same to me in BM itself. So far no other feedback.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
It would be good to have some other seasoned players give their feedback on this.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I got some reactions, but not that many, but do certainly appreciate them  :)

Out-of-Character from Ricard De'Verci   (3 days, 5 hours ago)
Good work with those tutorials, nice, short and to the point without missing any of the major aspects of the game!

Jeff O'Connor

Out-of-Character from Dragomir Aurelius   (2 days, 17 hours ago)
Great videos man!

Alex Rocheleau

Out-of-Character from Dragomir Aurelius   (2 days, 15 hours ago)
I wouldn't change anything at all but perhaps do the same exact thing a few more times. Repetition will help perfect the end result.

Alex Rocheleau

Out-of-Character from Lavitz Gildre   (3 days, 6 hours ago)
Thanks!

I have your message flagged on the EC. Definitely going to check them out when I have a few moments to sit down with my computer.

Tristan Barkwell

Out-of-Character from Rania Eastersand JeVondair   (1 day, 11 hours ago)

Also, good job on those vids. idk if anyone has thanked you for the effort you put in, but I certainly appreciate it !!

JeVondair

Anderfhstim

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Good stuff. I hope you will make more videos.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Good stuff. I hope you will make more videos.

Thanks, if Delvin and Vita agree with actually using these I will probably make a few more, so we get some more content we can use to create an idea for new players what BM is about.

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
My only complaint is that the audio is a bit quieter than I'd prefer. I usually have to turn up my audio when watching anime or netflix, not for YouTube.

Other than that, now that I rewatch the second one, I'd recommend presenting the turn system up front as one of the first things you cover, given how integral it is to the game (moreso than messages even!) You even say "first things first" when talking about it, in the second video, :P
Like my programming? Become my patron!

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
My only complaint is that the audio is a bit quieter than I'd prefer. I usually have to turn up my audio when watching anime or netflix, not for YouTube.
I know, and I'll be trying out your tip for the next ones if they come. Then after a while I might redo these again as well.

Other than that, now that I rewatch the second one, I'd recommend presenting the turn system up front as one of the first things you cover, given how integral it is to the game (moreso than messages even!) You even say "first things first" when talking about it, in the second video, :P

I had thought of that, but my reasoning for not doing so is because the first video is about creating a char and introducing yourself, turns aren't needed yet for that part. Part 2 was about how the game actually works, hence I only put it in there.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay; I have now (finally!) watched these.

They look good, and I'll be happy to make them available to all players from in-game pages.

I do have a few of small recommendations if you do end up redoing these. First of all, in the first video, I think it would be helpful if you demonstrated the Preview functionality before simply sending the letter. Second of all, in the second video, it would be better to click on the Bounty Board, which should be accessible to the new character, rather than Change Class, which just gives an error message. Also, in the earlier part of the second video, I think it would be worthwhile to emphasize that when you tell your character to travel, you will a) not actually go anywhere until turn change, and b) only arrive if you have enough hours left over in your time pool when the turn change comes (which will probably necessitate a brief explanation of how spending hours on immediate actions works).

As they are, though, they're good.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Thanks.

On the matter of preview message, that's a good point, but should I then also mention that if the letter is too long, you'll lose part of your letter? (Even preview function just cuts it off in both sections).

Bountry board is not available to all nobles as it depends on the region, but I agree I should pick something that actually works. It was just that this one went so welland I didn't have the time to do another one.

I'm not sure anymore what I said about spending hours so will have to check on this one.

Where should I send the files to of the videos?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I believe we should have BM have its own Youtube channel (other videos about continent history etc were created from Tom's youtube channel). Videos could be uploaded there.

For me, that would be the most convenient. Also for spreading/social media purposes.

But I have no idea about how to work with Youtube channels, really. Would need to look into that. If anyone knows, let me know.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Where should I send the files to of the videos?

The easiest might be to share them through Google Drive with me (delvin.anaris@gmail.com). If that doesn't work for you, let me know in PM and I can get you other transfer methods.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan