Author Topic: Character Gen Question  (Read 1396 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Character Gen Question
« Topic Start: January 03, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Hi All,

I was trying to make a new character using special characters and received the following message:

Error: Your character name does not conform to acceptable standards. Please do not use numbers or special characters. We also do not allow national accent characters because this is an international game and other players may not have the character set to display them.

Now the name I was hoping for was Ayden Tórrarin. I'm assuming the acute accent is the special character that is being referred to? I have seen this supported in game regularly, even as part of character names, so I am wondering if this is just a bug?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Character Gen Question
« Reply #1: January 03, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »
It would be more accurate to say that special characters are supported irregularly in BM.

Unfortunately, getting a PHP/Apache/MySQL stack to properly support Unicode is an absurdly fiddly business, and most of the settings involved in it can only be changed by Tom (they're nothing to do with the actual code, but rather the server configuration itself).

If it were up to me, I would spend a week fiddling with everything until Unicode worked properly, because dammit, this is 2017, and we should be able to support it. But as things stand, I'm not going to try and ride Tom to get it to work when the next point update of any of the systems involved will probably break it again, especially since he's known about this issue for the past 16 years and chosen not to do anything about it, even though his native language actually requires some of those special characters.

Sorry.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Character Gen Question
« Reply #2: January 03, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the quick explanation, Anaris. It's cool, I'll just start her up anyhow and if I ever get the option to edit the name down the line to what I originally wanted, I'll submit a request.

I just wanted to make sure I asked before making an avoidable mistake.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"