Author Topic: Ex Cineribus Resurgam  (Read 5733 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Cineribus Resurgam
« Topic Start: July 07, 2011, 05:01:54 AM »
A messenger arrives during dinner. Mikil speaks briefly to him before returning to the tent. He exchanges looks with the man who apparently is serving as her man-at-arms before returning to his seat. The man-at-arms, who had introduced himself as Gibral, gave a nod to the others in attendance. One by one they cleared out and left the three alone.

"M'lady," Mikil began, "Things have begun to move a little faster than we had anticipated. We are uncertain that you are ready."

"Ready for what, Mikil? Who is it outside?" she asked.

Gibral speaks now. "He is a messenger from the Duchess of Idapur. She is offering an oath of fealty for Arella Morningstar to become her knight."

Mikil continues, "How they've found us is uncertain. We believe that perhaps the peasants and lesser nobles in the area have begun to spread rumors which have proliferated to the capital city."

Idapur. Something about the name stirred her soul. A great warming and brokenness all at once flooded the woman. Arella, at least she presumes this is her name, looks puzzled. "Am I not a knight of the realm and you are my entourage? Why should an oath of fealty be any worry to you?"

Mikil and Gibral exchange looks. Finally, Mikil replies, "It is not a worry to us. The timing just isn't quite what we'd expected. If you are ready to swear, let us inform the messenger and we shall ride to Idapur."

Arella looks at both of them for a long while, deep in thought. As she turns to find the messenger, Mikil adds, "if m'lady believes she is ready, then we will follow you. To hell and back, if necessary."

The tent flap falls before she hears Gibral add, "...we already have."

Arella overhears hushed chatter behind her on the road.

"I definitely do not remember the trip taking this long. Are you sure we didn't miss a turn somewhere?"

"Gibral, are you really questioning my sense of direction. Or my memory, for that matter? The city is just up ahead."

"Just? Scouts say we've only neared the halfway point!"

The young woman slows her horse and settles in beside the two warriors. Their conversation stops immediately and they try changing the subject. Gibral asks about the weather and Mikil comments on her skill in the saddle- that surely she must have had some training earlier in life. Eventually she turns a sly smile to her lieutenant.

"Oh? And have we also been to Idapur earlier 'in life'? I believe we must have, judging by the way the two of you have been babbling on for the last twenty minutes."

"Yes," Gibral replies from her other side.

"No," Mikil answers at the same time. They look at each other.

"No," Gibral shifts in the saddle.

"Yes," Mikil does the same. Then together they offer, "It's complicated."

"Well then, seeing as how the city is apparently getting further away and not closer, I imagine we have plenty of time." She grins at them. "Do continue."