Author Topic: Ex Cineribus Resurgam  (Read 5745 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ex Cineribus Resurgam
« Topic Start: July 08, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »
In the library of the Morningstar estate, two men speak in hushed tones.  The Lady Arella and her small entourage had arrived earlier that morning.  She had spent the past few hours exploring the grounds and was now cleaning up to officially present herself to the duchess.  There had been a few trouble patches since their arrival, but they believed most of what was uncovered thus far would only serve to build new memories.

Why is this estate so large and how have I come to own it? Your family was once very prominent in the realm.  Everything in it they have left to you.  Why are there so many guards stationed here?  Your family was once very prominent in the realm.  It is a sign of respect that they have protected the grounds from those who would wish it ill.  Who is... was... my family?  Where are my parents?  Sadly, the two of us know very little of them and they have since passed on from this life.  What's with all the angel symbology and art?  Lady, this land is named after the Aenil- the angels.  Everything about the realm revolves around this mythos... or truth.  Who is Helios?

Well, they couldn't assume it would all go without a hitch.

"...balance,"  Gibral continues.  "We know our roles, and that is to maintain the balance in this world.  Yes, she may be one of us, but this is the path she has chosen and we cannot push too hard in our attempts to 'aid' her."

Mikil sighs.  Gibral was right.  Often when the two disagreed, Gibral was the one who didn't quite get it.  But not this time.  "I'm sorry, my friend.  You are absolutely correct.  I know the danger of upsetting the balance.  It is why we had to take her the first time."

He stands up and walks to the large picture window, opening it slightly for some fresh air.  The cold, brittle ground was finally beginning to thaw but winter, as always, had done its damage.  The earth was by all accounts dead- awaiting the touch of what was promised to breathe new life into its roots.  Spring was not far off.  But for now, hope seemed a distant dream. 

A slight breeze hits his face and ruffles some nearby books that were left open on the table.  The air is crisp.  Refreshing and yet jarring.  He turns around to face his friend.

"What is she hoping to accomplish, Gibral?  She never quite made that clear to us.  Why start over?  And why now?"

Before the man-at-arms is allowed a chance to answer, a scream erupts from Arella's chambers.  Swords drawn, the two men rush out of the library and down the hall.  Neither of them notice the parchment that flutters out of one of the books and comes to rest on the floor.