Author Topic: Need a rage section of the forums.  (Read 2886 times)

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Need a rage section of the forums.
« Topic Start: January 05, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Sometimes people need to just get frustration out of their system, sometimes they don't want to have a discussion thread. However, you can't just post in a normal thread, as that ruins good discussion. Might I suggest we make a part of the forums that is a bit looser on the aggressive post rules, while also keeping the existing subforums at their current levels of moderating, if not tighter?

Zakilevo

Re: Need a rage section of the forums.
« Reply #1: January 05, 2017, 11:56:03 AM »
I agree. I wouldn't mind having a section for venting.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: January 05, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
Nope. Scientific studies have shown that venting your anger doesn't actually make you less angry—it makes you more likely to get angry again.

If you want to rage, go to Reddit.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Zakilevo

« Reply #3: January 05, 2017, 01:36:30 PM »
Nope. Scientific studies have shown that venting your anger doesn't actually make you less angry—it makes you more likely to get angry again.

Can't argue with that. Reddit does make people even more angry.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: January 05, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
A purring kitty solves everything.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Zakilevo

« Reply #5: January 05, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
A purring kitty solves everything.

Very true. I heard cat meat is pretty sweet.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: January 05, 2017, 07:11:35 PM »
I tried. I don't feel that it helped any. Maybe I will try the cat thing...
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

GundamMerc

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: January 05, 2017, 07:11:49 PM »

Scientific studies, or 'scientific' studies that are quoted by the news before they've been crosschecked and repeatedly verified outside of a single experiment? Even if it is scientific, the methodology may be wrong, or the sampling unrepresentative. If venting doesn't help, then why are bottled up emotions a thing? That's definitely something that has been proven to occur.

The basic point of this isn't that we're trying to prevent anger anyways, we're trying to direct it to the appropriate area for it so that the other areas do not have as many conflicts. If I knew I had a place to put down a rant, I could put all my emotional baggage in that post, select the stuff that had any merit afterwards, then post in the normal part of the forums with a much calmer, more logical insight. Often meaningful points are lost in the emotional content of a post, and I think this would cut down on that outside the rage section.