Author Topic: Should Infiltrators be able to Kill  (Read 2610 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Should Infiltrators be able to Kill
« Topic Start: May 23, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
This thought has been bouncing around in my head for a while, ever since someone a while back posted about advy's being able to rob each other (I wish they could...its a rough world out there).

Why shouldn't an infiltrator have a chance of actually killing one of their targets? How does relegating them to only being able to inflict wounds contribute to the realism of the game? Death is a part of this game.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Should Infiltrators be able to Kill
« Reply #1: May 23, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »
No. Death is not a part of this game, unless you choose it for your character. While we're totally open to implementing mortality continents (if we had the players for new continents), we are *not* going to suddenly allow characters to be killed that were created under the premise of no-mortality. So character death has been left to choices of the player - playing an advy, playing a hero, pissing off enough people to get banned (and then staying on the island and going out on the battlefield against enemies that banned you), pissing off your realm and getting captured by your realm in some criminal misdeed, playing on War Island, participating in a death duel etc. Death is not ever going to be implemented against folks' wishes. It'll always be opt-in.

That said, there is an approved, unimplemented feature request that would allow players to allow non-hero characters to die.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 24, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
Seems to already be a pretty high chance of heroes dying on the War Islands, not sure if it's intended or no.

Although it seems very hard to die from being seriously wounded in battle on other continents, even as a 50+ year old hero. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, i just want my heroes to die in battle already :p
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 24, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »
Seems to already be a pretty high chance of heroes dying on the War Islands, not sure if it's intended or no.
It is intended, and I'm rather certain its easier to die as a hero on War Island. And again, even non-heroes can die on War Island (though I think that needs increased for next round).

Although it seems very hard to die from being seriously wounded in battle on other continents, even as a 50+ year old hero. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, i just want my heroes to die in battle already :p
The wounding system (years ago) used to work that a seriously wounded hero was a dead hero. But some years back, we changed how the wounding system operates behind-the-scenes. This means heroes don't die when seriously wounded, but need to get *more* wounded than seriously wounded, to die. The most effective means I've seen of heroes dying in battle is recruiting the largest infantry unit you can and charging the enemy in front of the rest of your army. The large unit soaks up lots of hits, giving your character opportunity to get more wounded as you stick in battle longer with the larger unit than you would with a smaller unit, retreating or withdrawing sooner with a less-wounded character.

It is a long-time joke on BM that if you want your hero to die, he never will; the moment your hero is doing something worth living for, he'll die. There's a fair few quotes on the wiki of heroes that threatened an enemy, and then died next battle, before they could fulfill their threat.

PS: age doesn't affect hero death.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 25, 2017, 09:32:58 PM »
How exactly are death mechanics different on War Island?
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: June 06, 2017, 08:02:46 PM »
The wounding system (years ago) used to work that a seriously wounded hero was a dead hero. But some years back, we changed how the wounding system operates behind-the-scenes. This means heroes don't die when seriously wounded, but need to get *more* wounded than seriously wounded, to die.

That's, IIRC, not exactly true. For hero death in battle, I believe getting to the seriously-wounded threshold is still enough.

For all other wounds, heroes are treated exactly the same as everyone else.

And no, infiltrators will never be able to kill a character that's not otherwise completely mortal.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan