Author Topic: War Stories  (Read 24635 times)

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: War Stories
« Reply #30: April 05, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
Yes, and Perdan is always looking for some more targets :)

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31: April 05, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
Haha.. yes, I am going to DoA to become targeted by Perdan. Ibby is going to support DoA more from now on. And besides, I already have a Marquess/priest in Ibladesh, and a second char in the same realm always causes you to neglect one of them.
"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: April 07, 2011, 03:29:48 AM »
How did the Lions disappear?

I only heard stories about how they were all trained to the max and well organized.

A lot of them went to SoA.  Sullivan is still in Fontan last I checked.  He led them.  It's actually a really good model for realms to follow if they can swing it.  10-12 active players who recruit 60 man units of the best in class.  Spend a few days training them up to build cohesion, high numbers of healers and banners.  Let the main army do holding maneuvers till you arrive to smash the enemy.

It'd be interesting to see how it would stack up with the recent changes in combat.

Zakilevo

« Reply #33: April 07, 2011, 05:09:47 AM »
That is where Sirion got the idea of the Red Dragons from. Don't know about the Silver Legion but yeah people in the RD get to recruit whatever they want. Less gold for me :(

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: April 07, 2011, 12:52:59 PM »
A lot of them went to SoA.  Sullivan is still in Fontan last I checked.  He led them.  It's actually a really good model for realms to follow if they can swing it.  10-12 active players who recruit 60 man units of the best in class.  Spend a few days training them up to build cohesion, high numbers of healers and banners.  Let the main army do holding maneuvers till you arrive to smash the enemy.

Didn't a lot of them disappear eventually by pausing / deleting? It's been a while back though.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35: April 07, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
Yes, the old guard of the Sultanate is no more. With Suliman and me gone, the only one left is the Duchess of Oroya, Lady Vanya.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: April 07, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
I think a good number of Lions were eventually found to be multies and locked. Sulliven among them. They were still amazing, but it's not so incredible if you think about it under this point of view ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I am not entirely sure of that.

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37: April 07, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
Concerning the Lions, I am certain Erdogan (player of Korkut) knows more about that. I'll ask him if I see him again on msn or something. He has long been the marshal of teh Lions. But I do no think they were multi's though, much of them came from or knew each other of the war islands. I can still remember their siege on Oroya. With just a little more combat strength they defeated OR like the walls weren't even there. They were certainly the beating heart of Fontan.

(Got Sulliven and Suliman mixed up.. Suliman is the player of Sultan David.. recently deleted his account.)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: April 07, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Concerning the Lions, I am certain Erdogan (player of Korkut) knows more about that. I'll ask him if I see him again on msn or something. He has long been the marshal of teh Lions. But I do no think they were multi's though, much of them came from or knew each other of the war islands. I can still remember their siege on Oroya. With just a little more combat strength they defeated OR like the walls weren't even there. They were certainly the beating heart of Fontan.

(Got Sulliven and Suliman mixed up.. Suliman is the player of Sultan David.. recently deleted his account.)

Indeed I still remember several battles against them. CS didn't really mean much for units such as theirs, to the point quite a few players in Sirion were actually wondering what was the point in making formations and strategies if they could achieve so much by just plugging together a bunch of huge pure infantry units and steamrolling everything. Losing can have a devastating effect on people's mind :P

Galvez

• Mighty Duke
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #39: April 08, 2011, 12:57:16 AM »
Losing can have a devastating effect on people's mind :P
I know what you mean..  :'(

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: April 08, 2011, 01:06:56 AM »
Indeed I still remember several battles against them. CS didn't really mean much for units such as theirs, to the point quite a few players in Sirion were actually wondering what was the point in making formations and strategies if they could achieve so much by just plugging together a bunch of huge pure infantry units and steamrolling everything. Losing can have a devastating effect on people's mind :P

That was one of the biggest advantages of the Lions, and was a prime reason Fontan was able to hold its own against Sirion before they imploded. The effectiveness of the Lions allowed Fontan to dictate the flow of battles and wars.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakilevo

« Reply #41: April 08, 2011, 05:04:34 AM »
So the Lions were mainly infantry units?

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #42: April 08, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »
Yes. The Fontan strategy back then was basically amass a huge infantry ball with maybe some other unit types to make it not too monotonous, and attack. That's why in early 2008 we pushed into Avamar and Ashforth, and controlled all of what Westmoor currently owns (Every region, seriously), held onto the western borders of Akesh Temple and Tokat. For a time, Fontan was holding off against Sirion, CoF, Perdan, Caligus, OR, and some other place that I don't really remember right now.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: April 08, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
So the Lions were mainly infantry units?

Yes the standard was something like 10-15 units of 50 to 80 infantrymen, recruited from some of the best infantry RCs that I've seen around (mostly in Karbala, that was owned by the sponsor of the lions that I guess drafted like hell). Sometimes there was an archer or a SF unit along, but not very often. That gave them a lot of strength because even when losing, they would retain a lot of cs anyway since the majority of those unit would remain with at least around 30 men, and when winning you would be able to fight over and over again without altering too much the composition of the army, not to mention effectiveness in sieges. If you have a balanced army, typically after a close victory you would retain all archers and have basically no infantry left, forcing you to pull back in front of a successive threat. This didn't happen to them.

Sirion had to start investing heavily in cavalry to counter them decently, and it took forever to shift the "omg elves! bows!" mindset into a useful army composition, basically connected to some serious arguing with the dukes in order to let them give gold away. The moment Sirion started to field a couple of 50 men cavalry unit permanently we evened the odds a bit, but I wouldn't go so as far as to say the lions died because we bested them. They killed themselves - after all to maintain such a kind of army you had to go against several principles of "democracy" so to say, and if I am not wrong there were a lot of arguments in Fontan because of that.

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: April 08, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Aye. There was a lot of tension between several in Fontan and the Lions with lots of arguments following. On the other hand, Fontan has the ability to flood an entire Realm with arguments about the littlest things. The massive amount of trees it must have cost to produce all that paper, if we conveniently think in the tree-loving elves mindset for the sake of this joke, has given Sirion every right to wish to destroy Fontan. I wonder if Fontan can fight this war more effectively by simply joining Sirion and start arguing.

Ah, the good old days :)