Author Topic: Vulgarity  (Read 2661 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Vulgarity
« Topic Start: February 14, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »
I've never seen as much vulgarity in BM as I have these past few days... What are the rules on the issue?

At first, it was an adventurer. We can't ping adventurers for vulgarity... honestly, I don't see why not. The vulgarity mechanics punish honor for inappropriate conduct. I don't see why crass adventurers should be able to walk around with stupidly high honor. Yes, maybe less is "expected" of them, but one assumes more civilized conduct from high honor characters. It's part of what that stat is supposed to represent, no?

In any case, fine, we dealt with it IC. The character was kicked out of the guild. We had an IC reaction to IC behavior.

Then, there's the issue of that player being vulgar out of character. There's no vulgarity link for OOC messages. How are we supposed to react to this? If it's considered acceptable behavior, then, okay, I guess the solution is just setting the character on ignore for the player's vulgarity. Or maybe we can kick the character out of the guild for the player's vulgarity. Both cases, though, require an IC intervention about an OOC action.

I'm not a prude, but it feels grossly out of place here. There's no OOC ban anymore, I don't think there are magistrates anymore, it's not an inalienable rights issue... I'm just not sure what the expected outcome for a situation like this is.

examples

Out-of-Character from Shidae Puff   (2 days, 23 hours ago)
Message sent to everyone in "Royal Rangers" (63 recipients)
bitch don't call the buyer a fool. This dude is going to get a BIG gains on his sword he'll practically be unstoppable! Besides with all what's happening right now with the entrepreneur stuff going on you're probably going to SWIM in gold. So all trades should be up for food and everything.

Kyle Bacale

Out-of-Character from Shidae Puff   (23 hours, 25 minutes ago)
Message sent to everyone in "Royal Rangers" (60 recipients)
Just scream "!@#$ you" and talk !@#$ against the nobles and you're free to go. :p

Kyle Bacale

Out-of-Character from Shidae Puff   (2 hours, 43 minutes ago)
Wait how the !@#$ does he know Q_Q

Kyle Bacale

Out-of-Character from Shidae Puff   (1 hour ago)
How does that bitch know where I am? damn I wanna track adventures to

Kyle Bacale
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Vulgarity
« Reply #1: February 14, 2017, 07:39:29 PM »
I can't view the messages in question anymore, but I'm fairly sure that the vulgarity screening, those symbols, are the forum's. No symbols were used in the original messages displayed IG.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 14, 2017, 07:39:36 PM »
Puff isn't exactly a stranger to administrative action here.

He's going to shape up or ship out.

I suspect I know which one.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 14, 2017, 07:57:30 PM »
But if we put the specific Puff case aside for a moment, how are we supposed to react to things like this? It doesn't seem plainly written in the rules to avoid crass vulgarity, but I don't really remember it ever being an issue.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: February 14, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
In itself, it's not. It's the excess Puff exercises that's the problem.

Your argument about including adventurers in the vulgarity system is compelling. I'm thinking about making it available for any adventurer above, say, 10 honour.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 14, 2017, 08:06:17 PM »
In itself, it's not. It's the excess Puff exercises that's the problem.

Your argument about including adventurers in the vulgarity system is compelling. I'm thinking about making it available for any adventurer above, say, 10 honour.

Sounds fair to me.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: February 14, 2017, 08:40:56 PM »
There is a difference between vulgarity to a medieval noble, done in good taste, and contemporary profanity done gratuitously. Sure, maybe some modern profanity rarely slips out, but repetitive contemporary profanity has no place in BM. I think the vulgarity that should be experienced in BM should be more akin to "arse", or "a monkey's bollocks" than gratuitous profanity.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: February 14, 2017, 08:43:23 PM »
If it's excessive OOC vulgarity (gratuitous contemporary profanity), and you've asked the player nicely to stop, then report it to the Titans.