Author Topic: Unique item names  (Read 3553 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Unique item names
« Topic Start: March 05, 2017, 09:11:06 PM »
How are unique item names generated?
I recognize some custom ones that are based on realms or characters.
The rest (most of them) are quite random and some even ridiculous.
Why the screaming vest of pancakes for example?

Is it possible the player base can make up names and suggest them somewhere?
Perhaps preferably based on in game history or stories?

Unique items are generally just bought to draw attention to their characters but they have no real meaning usually.
If people associate items more with their religion, realm, region, duchy or family they identify themselves with these items thus giving the items an extra value.
characters can use items as formal symbols of certain positions for example.
There would be an actual crown of a certain realm, which could get lost, found again and possibly sold back or even cause a conflict between realms.

The item would randomly appears somewhere and there might be a noble walking around with the crown of a certain realm, but that certain realm can always deny that this crown is the real crown, set to destroy it or obtain it.

Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Zaros

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Unique item names
« Reply #1: March 07, 2017, 07:31:19 AM »
How are unique item names generated?
I recognize some custom ones that are based on realms or characters.
The rest (most of them) are quite random and some even ridiculous.
Why the screaming vest of pancakes for example?

Is it possible the player base can make up names and suggest them somewhere?
Perhaps preferably based on in game history or stories?

Unique items are generally just bought to draw attention to their characters but they have no real meaning usually.
If people associate items more with their religion, realm, region, duchy or family they identify themselves with these items thus giving the items an extra value.
characters can use items as formal symbols of certain positions for example.
There would be an actual crown of a certain realm, which could get lost, found again and possibly sold back or even cause a conflict between realms.

The item would randomly appears somewhere and there might be a noble walking around with the crown of a certain realm, but that certain realm can always deny that this crown is the real crown, set to destroy it or obtain it.
Druzil Sharpspeare has a giggling shield of belauterra on east continent...
Warchief family

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 07, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
They are randomly-generated names from various sets of words, influenced by unique item type. Various realms have the chance to have their name generated. Each continent has chance of original realms existing at time of island creation and famous realms as potential choices. All continents also have chance of using the original and famous realms of the sunk islands, the realms existing at time those islands were sunk, and the war island realms. All existing realms have a chance of being a potential choice.

There are also famous characters that have a chance of their names being generated: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,6659.0.html It's planned to sort some of them into the worlds they were most influential, famous, infamous on, but it hasn't been done yet.

There are a few silly words added, from various famous silly roleplays and long-running jokes between players through the years.

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 07, 2017, 08:50:25 PM »
I have :
Astonishing platemail of Strombran - Strombran I believe was a realm in Atamara; a sunken islnd now.
Putrid pendant of Lanard's brains - I guess Lanard is/was a character in game.
Cookbook of the Barony of Icegate - If I recall, Icegate was the Capital of the realm of Barony of Makar; Also in Atamara.
Smoking sceptre of Ankar - I guess Ankar is/was a realm or region. Maybe a character name even.
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 07, 2017, 09:54:30 PM »
I have :
Astonishing platemail of Strombran - Strombran I believe was a realm in Atamara; a sunken islnd now.
Correct.
Putrid pendant of Lanard's brains - I guess Lanard is/was a character in game.
Yes, but in this case, this was a GM manually-created unique item on Beluaterra for the invasion. Lanard being some human slain by daimons in battle or execution and his remains desecrated by daimons to form a grotesque unique item. There's quite a few of these on the island.
Cookbook of the Barony of Icegate - If I recall, Icegate was the Capital of the realm of Barony of Makar; Also in Atamara.
Again, correct.
Smoking sceptre of Ankar - I guess Ankar is/was a realm or region. Maybe a character name even.
Another GM manually-created unique item related to the Beluaterra Invasion. Ankar is the unspoken name of Akkan, too sacred to be vocalized.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 07, 2017, 10:19:58 PM »
You have/stole my cookbook???
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Logar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 07, 2017, 10:27:17 PM »
The Truth is... It seems I have somehow aquired a cookbook  :P
"...Together We Stand, Divided We Fall!..." -- 'Hey You', Pink Floyd

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 07, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
Oh, I should clarify about the Cookbook. It wasn't about Icegate being the capital of the Barony of Makar. Barony of Icegate was also an influential early Atamaran realm, before the Barony of Makar, which largely replaced the BoI. A character of Tom's led the viking BoI on raids far south. I think that Icegate was possibly the first to reach lvl 10 fortifications. Eventually, Atamaran realms ganged up on Icegate and tore it down, resulting in BoM being created and taking over the land that was once BoI.

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 08, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
If you keep your eyes open, you can make some fun combinations. For example, Aramon has the Rusty Suit of Honesty and the Majestic Buckler of Dishonesty. That always tickled my funnybone.  ;D