Author Topic: Books of Daimon Banishing  (Read 3790 times)

Edain

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Books of Daimon Banishing
« Topic Start: April 02, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
Hello,

I wanted to ask if this bug is fixed.
The books are quite difficult to find so it would be great if they produce again the usual 5 scrolls instead of only one currently.

Thanks.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Books of Daimon Banishing
« Reply #1: April 03, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
To my knowledge, they never produced 5 scrolls. The text (which said it would give you 5) was just wrong and was also edited to be consistent with the actual outcome.

The reference to the bugtracker: http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=9019

If you would want these books to produce more than that, please file a feature request through the Feature Request subforum: http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/board,30.0.html.
Be sure to read the 'Read First' segment before posting.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Edain

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: April 03, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »
Greetings,

they always produced 5 scrolls for various adventurers on BT and DWI, suddenly they produced only one scroll.
My advy on DWI still carries the five from his last use of the books months ago.

It would also make no sense to as why there was written five there in the first place if they should produce only one.

Those scrolls are especially on BT very important for the human players to have at least one effective weapon against ranged Daimons, so restoring this is no new feature request but an essential already previously existing game element to keep game fun for this part of the game high.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: April 03, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Edain.

We received no feedback on the bug report and while testing this issue, there was no way that the code in place was actually producing 5 scrolls. If you are absolutely certain that it did, in fact, produce 5 scrolls then we might re-investigate.

Edain

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: April 03, 2017, 10:42:05 AM »
Absolutely 100% certain, since also others than my own advnturers could do it and reported IC to my chars so back then.

Thank you.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: April 03, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »
Absolutely 100% certain, since also others than my own advnturers could do it and reported IC to my chars so back then.

Thank you.

Found the change. You are correct it used to be 5 and now is one. With the change from 5 to 1, the text wasn't dealt with, which is what I did afterwards.

I'm now gaining feedback from other dev's why it changed in the first place. If there is a good reason, it'll stay this way. If not, we might balance it out a bit.

I'll keep you posted.

Edain

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: April 03, 2017, 06:07:13 PM »
Great, thank you.

I don't know if that helps from the player's view the change from 5 to 1 lowered extremely the chances to fight Daimons effectively and hurt the game fun a lot for human players.

Not because we can blast less Daimons away but players after the sudden "change" interacted much less with each other to find books and exchange them among each other and go on Daimon hunting missions together as commoners formed regular hunting parties accompanied with RP and also including noble chars etc.

Finding now three books is still difficult but the gain of one single scroll only has made commoners less enthusiastic to put up the effort to work together (only one scroll can be made and thus used only by one player instead of sharing the hunt, glory, RP etc).

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: April 03, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »
The books, alongside monster hunting books, had been disabled adventurer items. In the past, they had produced five scrolls. I re-enabled them for this Invasion, to give the players another option in combating daimons. I remember writing a comment to reduce the scrolls produced to one scroll when I re-enabled them, but it slipped my mind when I actually got around to doing the re-enabling. When I noticed that, I corrected it back to one scroll as it was never intended to produce five scrolls in the first place. The five scrolls produced after they were re-enabled is the bug, not the one scroll produced, which is the fix. They are not meant to be the sole, effective tool, but one tool in an arsenal. Consider the period of five scroll production a brief divine blessing. Sometimes bugs hurt you, sometimes they help you.

EDIT: After discussion with fellow devs, we have decided to base the number of scrolls produced upon the spellcasting skill of the user, ranging between 1-3 scrolls produced.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:56:18 PM by Vita »

Edain

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: April 03, 2017, 07:37:13 PM »
I understand, thank you for the detailed explanation.

I also think that the solution that you provide to produce between 1-3 scrolls depending on the spellcasting skill is a very good diplomatic solution, this will add one more factor for the adventurers to bear in mind when working together and should give more emphasis to the skill itself.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: April 03, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »
Sorry for the mistake and ensuing confusion when enabling them with five scrolls production. Then again, you're probably also grateful for that opportunity. :P But seriously, sorry for the confusion.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: April 21, 2017, 09:30:59 AM »
It hurts that we lose that weapon against the Daimons.

But now, I just tried to make monster hunting scrolls from monster hunting books and got nothing at all.  No scroll at all.

What is going on with these books?  Are they be taken entirely from us as a weapon we can use to fight the enemy?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: April 21, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »
It hurts that we lose that weapon against the Daimons.
You didn't.

But now, I just tried to make monster hunting scrolls from monster hunting books and got nothing at all.  No scroll at all.
There's no such thing as monster hunting scrolls. Books of Monster Hunting hunt down actual monster troops in the region. There were messages when you used them, explaining that.