Author Topic: Discriminating religion  (Read 6883 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Discriminating religion
« Topic Start: July 09, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
I, for one, have discriminated people based on religion a lot, throughout time, but very discreetly. Whenever two candidates for a position were running and one was of a faith I liked and the other of one I didn't or of none, I'd secretly petition for my favored candidate, even if these were often much newer, less experience, or known to be outright reckless. And this was (at least almost) always done extremely subtly, never with any reference to religion at all, and so trends in religion come up as being spontaneous evolutions, and not as having been orchestrated in any way.

I was wondering if others did the same, and/or realized that not joining a faith can in some places be costly for one's ambitions. It's amazing how much one can silently influence results, if within the proper contexts, and so I'd expect others to do the same.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Discriminating religion
« Reply #1: July 09, 2011, 05:32:14 PM »
How do you know if they belong to an organized one?

To me, unless they are very outspoken about it, which only some are, it seems rather secretive?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 09, 2011, 07:34:39 PM »
The best way to find out who belongs to which religion is to find a member who will give you a list of all the members of their church.  Then you can just compare their name against that list.   Otherwise you have to use the secret police on them to find out which religion they belong to.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

egamma

« Reply #3: July 09, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »
I, for one, have discriminated people based on religion a lot, throughout time, but very discreetly. Whenever two candidates for a position were running and one was of a faith I liked and the other of one I didn't or of none, I'd secretly petition for my favored candidate, even if these were often much newer, less experience, or known to be outright reckless. And this was (at least almost) always done extremely subtly, never with any reference to religion at all, and so trends in religion come up as being spontaneous evolutions, and not as having been orchestrated in any way.

I was wondering if others did the same, and/or realized that not joining a faith can in some places be costly for one's ambitions. It's amazing how much one can silently influence results, if within the proper contexts, and so I'd expect others to do the same.

I've only done this consistently with one character, but yes, it seems like a medieval thing to do.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 09, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »

I do the same thing with all of my characters, especially in relation to Qyrvaggism and Triunism.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 09, 2011, 09:20:18 PM »
This used to be a big deal in the realms on the Far East that followed MAE.  Jenred joined originally strictly for the political benefits, and that paid off rather nicely (he later went even nuttier than I originally intended and had a few religious experiences, but that's another matter entirely).

Church of Ibladesh is certainly discriminating, and I know both Sartania and Arcachon (as one would expect in theocracies) were the same.

In Abington right after religions got enabled we had a three-way "war" between Aristoi Atamarism, the Pantheist Path, and the Way of the Hammer for religious control of the realm, and every time a position opened up each religion would pick a candidate to support.  It was actually a lot of fun.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 09, 2011, 11:55:20 PM »
How do you know if they belong to an organized one?

To me, unless they are very outspoken about it, which only some are, it seems rather secretive?

There are many ways to do this. For one, you have a full list of all members of your own faith, so it's easy to know whether they belong to it or not. Then you can consult other friendly faiths if you desire. Further, if you have a level 3 temple in the region, a priest becomes a true faith detector and can tell you the faith of all of the region's knights.

Some are also foolishly vocal about it, too.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 10, 2011, 12:09:26 AM »
Some are also foolishly vocal about it, too.

Or maybe not foolishly vocal: it may be that they are wagering their advocacy of their religion will help them more than opponents of their faith will hurt them.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: July 10, 2011, 04:35:48 AM »
Or maybe not foolishly vocal: it may be that they are wagering their advocacy of their religion will help them more than opponents of their faith will hurt them.

I didn't say that all vocalizing of one's faith is foolish, but rather that some of it is. The kind that closes door on you.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: July 10, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »
This is standard practice for my Astrum character. Non-SA people never even get nominated for lordships or council positions, let alone actually given one. :P
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

dustole

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: July 10, 2011, 06:42:49 AM »
I remember the old game of "How come Lord XXXX  isn't a member of SA?"   between the various Theocracies.    Was good times.  If I remember correctly Astrum was much more devout than Morek in that way.  At least I remember them having fewer non SA lords than Morek.
Kabrinski Family:  Nathaniel (EC), Franklin (BT), Aletha(DWI)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: July 10, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »
Region pages show the faith of the local lord, if any. That's usually useful as most of the people you want to watch are Lords and Ladies. And yeah, religion has been both a high and low key deciding factor in the realms I've played in so far. Part of the fun, methinks. Also its a line in the sand.

Finton.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: July 10, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »
I see many others use this, which I suspected, but I wonder how many people are clueless as to how not joining any faiths can severely lower their chances of promotion?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: July 10, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
But joining the wrong faith too early can also be damaging in a way that is harder to extricate yourself from.

I also do this, by the way.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: July 10, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
But joining the wrong faith too early can also be damaging in a way that is harder to extricate yourself from.

I also do this, by the way.

Though there's a difference between taking your time and never being bothered.