Author Topic: Multiple Characters  (Read 9351 times)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Characters
« Topic Start: April 24, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
What Dwilight needs is for a realm or two to die. Maybe three. It's filled with pathetic realms that don't do anything.

The North-East in general seems dynamic to me, but south of Swordfell...?

I mean, D'Hara had been expanding into ex-Lurian regions, and now seems somewhat surprised that, with its low density, establishing a foothold onto the West is hard. I mean, I get wanting to take Paisly, I totally consider it to be part of D'Haran core and I'd want it too if I was there. But D'Hara expanded all the way to Mattan Dews... the distance between both is huge. Can't have it all.

Same for Madina. Density is even lower, and keeps trying to expand. Again, I totally get it and I'd do the same, those western regions offer extra buffer to protect the rest. But everyone knows by now that low density both spawns and attracts more rogues.

Fissoa doesn't even have 1 noble per region...

Meanwhile, Luria. Honestly makes me laugh. They are expanding their desnity away, and none of their neighbors seem to care. I'd be laughing my ass off if I was in Luria. The increasingly lower density increases monster spawns more and more, but since they are more isolated, those monsters are much more likely to hit D'Hara, Madina, Astrum, and Westgard than they are to ever pose a significant threat to them. They are basically waging a proxy war on D'Hara by doing nothing else than expanding.

The South needs to wake up. Densities govern rogue spawns. If you want to expand without having a ton of rogues build up on your border... attack another human realm! Either to expand in that direction, or just to bring those regions rogue. Instead, you've got a bunch of boring realms complaining about boring results from their boring actions.

I agree that ideally low player density realms should stop to expand, shrink or die.
But the current mechanics will never motivate realms to stop expanding or even become smaller.
First of all there might be different theories in game about the waxing and waning of the number of rogues attacking and also lots of players not knowing this mechanic.
And if characters would know what causes more rogues to appear, I believe it isn't all a direct cause and effect relation.
Because to many other realms have influence on the total outcome, it might not do any good to an individual realm to decide to stop expanding.
Some other realm might take those regions your no longer expanding to or any other region and total density wouldn't increase.
It seems better to expand as an individual realm and hope, ask, or demand others to stop expanding instead, especially if the realm in question is a western realm facing most of the attacks.
But its very unlikely the other realms would do once asked or demanded to.
Expanding for western realms means more resources and better buffers to protect the other regions.
I vaguely remember that the rogues target lower density realms, but in reality there will just be more rogues in total that, no matter where they are heading will usually have to go threw the western realms any way.

A more direct mechanic for punishing or rewarding low or high density would work far better to motivate players and characters.
If it has to involve rogues then the best thing i can make up right now is increasing the chance of rogues forming in a realm held region based on player density and base their group numbers on the current military strength or total amount of nobles of that realm.
Perhaps the rogue groups could also have the realm they spawn in as a target to prevent them from getting to far away from the targeted realm.
These mechanics once implemented could slowly start working for realms to get used to it, instead of having 10 K rogue armies spawn up everywhere out of the blue.
Giving the realms a chance to prepare.
All the mechanics for this are already in place if i am not mistaken.
This option gives realms an opportunity to fight allot and sort of influence which regions will be lost and which not by choosing where and when to attack/defend and or which regions to take back by a TO.
Has this option ever been considered?

However the current mechanics might still work to reduce the amount of regions held by realms in theory.
All it requires is the rogues to be more in numbers, and or taking better routes.
But any changes wont be player driven, just based on what the rogue do and how successful they are at it.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:39:34 PM by Nosferatus »
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog