Author Topic: Sacred Obia'Syela  (Read 164661 times)

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Sacred Obia'Syela
« Reply #390: August 07, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
I think people shat on the Gabanus family generally because you are just a good player and very strategic.  In short, you are dangerous to be around.  So some people make it a policy to nuke any realm you lead on principle.

You should take that as a badge of honor.  And maybe create a new account so you can scheme without people knowing who you are.  ;)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #391: August 17, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
Goriad has a curious legacy in SOS. He was pretty much lauded by everyone, even his enemies (eyes Blint). He did an amazing amount of work for the Church so even Rania is reluctant to bad mouth him, even now that he's dead.

Anyway, I was trying to sign up a new player yesterday and noticed that SoS has the largest number of Nobles by a pretty nice margin. Presently we have 29 listed and activity seems good. The next largest is Nothoi with 20. I'd say we're doing pretty good folks, I'm really proud we managed that especially considering how far SoS is from the main theater! Let's keep driving!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #392: August 20, 2018, 08:58:40 PM »
I wouldn't say he was "lauded" by VB.... more like a mutual understanding.. That and it helped that VB/most of the realm knew that G2 was only alive because I allowed him to live (well technically the game did because we dueled until surrender.. but the RP was that I allowed it :P)
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #393: August 20, 2018, 09:29:23 PM »
Which reminds me of an entirely unrelated idea I had this morning.

Obian Mercenaries

While I was looking at the noble counts of other realms on other continents, it occurred to me that the wealthier ones could afford to purchase the services of Obian noble families. Say, for example, that Swordfell had the script to pay mercs to join the realm and assist them in their war against Arnor. For 1000 gold/knight, players who main in SOS and do not have a character in that realm/continent can then make one, rolpelaying that they were knighted specifically to bring glory to their House and their Goddess by serving abroad.

At wars end, thee nobles can then transfer to the next troubled State and fight upon the next battlefield. Writing Obeah's name with swords as their stylus and fire as their ink.

I thought for a while on how the gold transfer would work. Since all the continents exist in the same world, i do not think it would be "gamey" to use family wealth to accomplish this. For example, Let's say that Gildre, who currently rules SOS, has a character in Swordfell that we'll call Bob for now. Gildre has Grandmistress Jessica Pen a later cousin bob stating that SOS is willing to commit Templars oversees in exchange for whatever, in this case gold at the aforementioned price. Let's conitnue by saying that swordfell comes up with 5k in gold which they then send to Bob. Bob sends 4k of that gold to the Gildre family coffers, whereupon Jessica uses that gold for concurrent investments in Obian cities to maximize taxes production. We track the 4k amount by debiting each family investment Jessica makes (should be 4-5 in total). Meanwhile, 5 Obian players create new characters in Swordfell and Bob, who you'll remember kept 1k of the Fellish payment, then gives each new knight 200 gold to develop thier forces on their own.

We could write the 'contract' like a treaty even. And should any of the terms be broken on the Obian end, Swordfell will have the right to demand their payment back (again in the form of family investments OR personal gold, should bob be afluent enough.

From a purely gameplay perspective, I don't think this breaks any rules. having a new way to make gold is surely a plus, and the whole Obian Merc idea gives us a lot of new room for a vastly different RP playing field. Furthermore, should any of our Beluaterran characters die, they can immediately be replaced by immigrating one of the mercs back home.

I haven't had time to put too much thought into all of this, but I knew I had to write and share before i forgot. Am I completely off my rocker here?

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #394: August 20, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »
Most likely, but why should that stop you? You've suggested and done far crazier things..
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #395: August 20, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
Mercs arent the way to go. Either the nobles join that realm permanently because its fun, or they lose interest because it isnt. Moreover, only the active players will go abroad, that will leave OS rather quiet.

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396: August 20, 2018, 11:53:36 PM »
I agree with D'Este.

I personally have enough free time to REALLY commit to one character, kind of commit to another one, and the other two just follow orders and hang out. It generally revolves as to which character has the coolest stuff going on in their realm, but trying to be all in with all four characters leads to player burn out.

So by doing this, since characters are getting paid, the players are going to focus that energy on their conscripted realm, rather than SOS.

In addition, this seems like it will be a ton of energy to track.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #397: August 21, 2018, 01:48:30 AM »
I've never liked people who fancied themselves "mercenaries" for third parties. It breaks both immersion and team spirit.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gabanus family

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #398: August 22, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »
Perhaps it would make more sense to focus on the faith, rather than come up with time consuming plans like the mercs  ;)

There is enough in OS that's still missing in the current situation. Focus on that first.

Main thing, any faithful not in OS tge realm sees no activity to begin with. Church is at dead as the Daisha.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Bluelake

• BM Dev Team
  • Noble Lord
  • Ta|i - Bluelake Family since 2007
    • View Profile
    • Family Tree
« Reply #399: August 22, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
You could also do merc work in Beluaterra as well... from what I see, many realms are in need of extra hands. Could accept payment in things other than gold too, like wards, nobles joining the faith, temples, promises, marriages, anything that mixes politics in with RP and a little mechanic.

Making the realm activity transfer into the church would probably also be a great way to actually expand the influence.

I've been trying to convince someone in BT to make BT Marshal Plan happen :D - now that portal event reduced rogues, it might be slightly moot...
Today is Thank Wimpie for Being an Awesome Dev Day. Give Wimpie some gratitude for his constant bugfixing, pestering of admins to get things done, and general Wimpieness.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #400: August 22, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
Main thing, any faithful not in OS tge realm sees no activity to begin with. Church is at dead as the Daisha.

Shout out to all 3 of y'all outside SOS!

But seriously, the -only- time I've seen a religion 'active' is after it's gone international, making the church the most effect forum for communication. That's been more than a little problematic with only 1-3 priests available at any given time, all of whom hold secular responsibilities as well. We've only just managed to dispatch our first missionary to set up shop permanently in a different realm. That, plus the planned colonies we intend to found, ought to shift the paradigm more favorably and encourage players to utilize the Heralds more regularly. Regular use will snowball into more content. For now, patience is a virtue. Spent years putting this together, can afford to wait a few months more to hit its stride.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401: August 23, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »
I'll kick the snowball down the hill when I have a bit more time for BM in 2-3 weeks. For now I can only afford to look at it intently.

eyes the snowball intently
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #402: August 28, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
Jev's SOS (secular) Roadmap:
  • Make more highly-lucrative estates to attract new knights
  • Take Grehk and found a new duchy, ensure that it gets at least 8 nobles nobles from SOS.
  • Take Irombro and found a new duchy, ensure that it gets at least 7 nobles from SOS
  • Reorganize the Duchy of Obeah (Athol Margos) so that the Duchy of Amen Keffa becomes a city state limited to Rines.
  • Organize the Secession of the Duchies of Grehk and Irombro to form new satellite Obian realms on the proviso that all three sign the Trifecta and agree to its Articles
  • Continue utilizing the super-estates to funnel more new Knights into Rines and proliferate them throughout the Veiled lands
  • Organize the Trifecta to conquer Elymon and found a new duchy that will eventually become a small kingdom as well
  • If possible, repeat on/in Jidington with or without the aid of the Shattered Vales
Suffices to say this won't happen over night, but ideally we'll be able to accomplish most or all of these goals prior to the next invasion, thereby giving SOS and the Heralds faith the best possible chance of surviving the next invasion. According to my best estimates, I'll need at least 40, more likely closer to 50 noble families working together throughout this Obian Hegemony to make it happen. By this point, I hope that the actual Heralds of Obeah church channel will be the most utilized public forum in southern Beluaterra, much like my first experience with religion in this game, SA, was between the realms of Dwilight with the added benefit of being an ideal tool for multinational military coordination. Four realms located next to one another, supporting one another, feeding each other's cities, and combining their armies to fight beneath one centralized command, augmented by a core of dedicated magic-users, the Heralds themselves, who will inhibit daimon lords and spread the spell-arsenal of the sacred lands so as not to invite magical stockpiling accidents.

Jev's HoO (religious) Roadmap
  • Max the temple in Rines
  • Organize adventurers to start mapping the movements Sages & Mystics and southern beluaterra
  • Raise and acknowledge new religious leaders (Cardinals? Bishops? Ecclesiarchs? Prelate?) to help the Oracle run the faith like Dukes help their kings run their realms. Preferably 1 for each realm that has faithful in it. This may possibly be the new incarnation of the "Grand Herald" title.
  • Encourage the shift to make the Heralds of Obeah into the primary communication channel for everyone in Southern Beluaterra
  • Grow the faithful population in friendly or allied realms
  • Organize tournaments for the Templars and Inquisition and visitors in order to maintain friendly competition between the two factions AND encourage converts.
  • Have the Inquisition monitor converts from other realms until they are confident that their professed faith is genuine
  • Leverage the united Obian military to provide military aid to foreign friends and nations in exchange for favors or concessions
  • Max the temple in Ete City
I am less experienced at religion-building then I am at empire building so it's taken somewhat of a backseat to the latter in my mind. I always envisioned the Heralds as a multi-realm faith and since that has not strongly happened yet, The Heralds chat has not been very utilized. part of my overall goal, both secular and religion-wise, is to change that so the Heralds do become the primary way that players engage one another between realms. I'll come up with new sermons and scriptures as the muse hits me or as events unfold, and the more people who have access to it, the more likely others will want to do the same, thus increasing content for the faith in addition to realizing my other aforementioned goals.

Presently, I hope to have this accomplished by 2020. I think its unlikely that we'll complete even only the secular goals before the end of December. I doubt we could establish a polity in Jidington, or even Elymon, until Q1 2019 at the earliest. Which means that by the time I anticipate all of this being reached in 2020, this plan will have been in development for over 5 years IRL.

I appreciate everyone who's been a part of the journey thus far, and I am sorry to those I've let down along the way. The ongoing love and support this realm has received has been truly encouraging and I'm glad y'all are with me trying to make all this happen. Anyway, this has been a roadmap update. If you didn't know what I had in mind, well, now you do.

MTYL

• Noble Lord
  • No personal text here, sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403: August 28, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
Strategically it is not a problem to take all those regions in as little as a couple of months. However our density would have us smashed by rogues all the way back to peninsula. If you want more regions you need more nobles. There's no way around it.
_____
New family - Arnickles Renodin: Maura(OS), Myr(LN)
Old family - The (dead) Bennets: Max(SF), Joran(VT), Jarra(OS)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #404: August 29, 2018, 11:02:58 PM »
That makes me wonder how Angmar is doing. They have only 21 nobles, yet seem to have little trouble maintaining 11 regions.
SOS, meanwhile, I'm not sure what's happening. Are these rogues till walking up from the sea?

Also if someone could educate me on the following I'd be appreciative: Does regional control have any effect whatsoever on reducing rogue spawns in a region? Because it seems to me that a region a core control really really shouldn't spawn/attract/whatever rogues often.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:08:27 PM by JeVondair »