Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 550621 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1485: January 03, 2013, 09:39:43 AM »
Okay so lets take a look at that map:

Change the name of Suville to Abington, change the name of Coria to Falasan, ignore the fact that Strombran exists and bam, we're looking back in time.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486: January 03, 2013, 12:30:48 PM »
Actually, Strombran is the new Carelia and Carelia is the new Redspan - it's exactly the same as it was during the good old days!

Zadar

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487: January 06, 2013, 01:25:52 AM »
It is a huge mistake to look realm borders. People do always forget real influence. When I look at the map it doesn't look at the same at all. We have managed to get rid off those who had different kind of views.
A plan without a goal, is just a wish .

Radigand

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488: January 06, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
It just clicked, Rieleston is a play on words Real Eston...  :-[

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489: January 06, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »
It is a huge mistake to look realm borders. People do always forget real influence. When I look at the map it doesn't look at the same at all. We have managed to get rid off those who had different kind of views.

And you seriously believe and trust those southeners? Or Coria? You dont have get rid off many of those who had diffrent kind of views, you have just forced them to say "aye aye sir!".

-Jaune
~Violence is always an option!~

Zadar

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490: January 06, 2013, 06:52:10 PM »
Trust must be earned. Sometimes even allies will stab you but I have chosen to keep up my promises even to them who try to harm us.( Tara )
A plan without a goal, is just a wish .

Eirikr

« Reply #1491: January 06, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
It just clicked, Rieleston is a play on words Real Eston...  :-[

Hence the map. Welcome to a few months ago!  :P

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492: January 08, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
Trust must be earned. Sometimes even allies will stab you but I have chosen to keep up my promises even to them who try to harm us.( Tara )

You keep your promises like Darth Vader honors his deals.

GoldPanda

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493: January 09, 2013, 08:14:09 AM »
You keep your promises like Darth Vader honors his deals.

Whoa. Sounds like someone has trouble separating IC from OOC. :)
------
qui audet vincit

DamnTaffer

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494: January 09, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Whoa. Sounds like someone has trouble separating IC from OOC. :)

Or it sounds like someoen has been in tara before...

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495: January 09, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Y'all just need to calm down. Of course Darth Vader honors his deals. He honors them to the death.

And you seriously believe and trust those southeners? Or Coria? You dont have get rid off many of those who had diffrent kind of views, you have just forced them to say "aye aye sir!".

-Jaune

What's not to trust? I'm pretty sure that Darka has been the one attacking Coria and not the other way around. I'd be interested to hear of a single instance when Corian troops have walked on Darkan soil, but of course the same could not be said about the reverse.

As far as I'm aware, Coria has always kept its promises.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."

jaune

• Mighty Duke
  • Suck my socks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496: January 09, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
As far as I'm aware, Coria has always kept its promises.

Like staying away from the war? Like agreeing to attack Tara? (Ok, this was not never agreed to do, cause you backed off when you had to actually do what you say).

Anyway, what i meant was that Coria is sneaky and twists words and papers. I guess i already mentioned somewhere that written agreements are the !@#$. If you cant trust without name on the paper, you really dont trust.
~Violence is always an option!~

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497: January 09, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Like staying away from the war?

Coria stayed away from the war as agreed until one of your allies decided to breach that agreement and attack Coria. Hammarsett plotted with Minas Ithil to supplant Coria with itself and trade the duchy of Shanandoah back to Minas Ithil in exchange for their support. If the northern alliance didn't want us to rejoin the war then they should have sought to stop their allies from breaking agreements.

Like agreeing to attack Tara? (Ok, this was not never agreed to do, cause you backed off when you had to actually do what you say).

Coria never agreed to attack Tara as you've said. You can twist words however you like, but what I have said is true. Coria has always stood by its agreements. The problem is that the North for too long has viewed Coria simply as a minor puppet which either they can manipulate or attack so that in your view CE can't manipulate us. I would think though that after Coria has successfully won two wars now against the north that we'd have earned some respect.

Anyway, what i meant was that Coria is sneaky and twists words and papers. I guess i already mentioned somewhere that written agreements are the !@#$. If you cant trust without name on the paper, you really dont trust.

Written agreements can clearly outline what each party wants. Goodwill and trust can only go so far when neither side clearly has defined what is expected of the other party. Why do you think the north has so often fallen into fighting amongst each other? Only Dictator Sordnaz is one who has properly managed diplomacy without the use of treaties.

I also think that there is a dichotomy between the north and the central realms due to government style. Many in the north expect that the single word of a ruler is always the full opinion of the realm which they represent. While that is true in the north while the ruler is a King or Dictator, that same regard isn't true for Consuls and Prime Ministers. For instance, while the Consul of Coria is representative of our realm's interests, all treaties require Senate approval even after all negotiation is done. That is why you can trust any agreement that Coria makes because the realm is behind it. Discussions leading up to an agreement though are simply that, discussions of possibilities.

Eirikr

« Reply #1498: January 10, 2013, 12:06:44 AM »
Like staying away from the war? Like agreeing to attack Tara? (Ok, this was not never agreed to do, cause you backed off when you had to actually do what you say).

I find myself also having to respond to this. I know Coria was attacked by Hammarsett first. You can't expect us to not defend ourselves because we're "supposed to stay out of the war". We've stayed out of the war with Eston, though. The whole deal with Tara retreating could be argued as participating, but IC, my character doesn't agree. There's nothing untrustworthy there, he's just strictly following the treaty. (Which, as an aside, did Kerwin drop that? I have been ready to negotiate it...)

As for attacking Tara, if you've seen the whole process, you'd know that we never reached an agreement. We got close, in fact, Coria was ready to sign something long before Darka, Eston or BoM. Back then, I could've convinced Coria to agree, but by the time you guys were ready, the plan had been leaked (through Minas Ithil, no less...1), you had almost nothing to offer Coria and, as a result, I could no longer convince Coria. We never even got to a point where we could do "what [we] say". Hammarsett held out until the very end... If we'd tried to turn on Tara then, we'd be marching with hardly any strength into almost certain failure... for what, a city and a ravaged duchy? This doesn't even account for the likely revolt by my nobles (due to the timing), the damage to our own lands, and the forewarning that Tara got. On top of all that, at that point, the treaty hadn't been signed by anyone yet. As I recall, there were still some issues over specific terms. Ravendon may be sneaky, but he's not entirely stupid. Even so, I am still dealing with the repercussions in the Central Alliance for when it was discovered. Of course, this is all OOC. Only a few people IC have all the pieces to connect as far as I know.

On the last point, though, I won't deny that Ravendon, at least is sneaky and twists words when he needs to... But he will always stick to treaties or official agreements. You have to remember that Coria was the one defecting, not the North. You better bet we want some kind of assurance that our butts are covered. A paper treaty is a perfect representation of that. No sane man would trust an agreement made with his (current) enemy blindly. It doesn't matter if you believe you should be able to trust someone without their name on a treaty, you weren't the ones going out on a limb. If I can't trust you to catch me when I fall, why would I jump at all? You're the one on the ground, you don't have nearly as much uncertainty. To put that in IC terms, if we had turned on Tara, we'd be the ones at risk, not the North. If the new alliance failed, the North remains much the same and Coria is either destroyed or forever scorned. Ergo, it's not your side that should have been worried as much about trust. If we insist on a treaty being made to finalize anything and to trust you to carry out those terms, you can't claim we don't stick to our word because we don't trust you without a treaty. It's like being told to write a book report, doing half of it and then complaining you didn't get full credit because you did read the book and you might get around to finishing the book report... We'll just have to trust you on both of those details.

It's also important for Coria and elected rulers to have paper treaties due to the election cycle. (I'll admit ignorance here when talking about other government styles and their election cycles.) Every month, there's a chance that someone doesn't have faith in Ravendon's leadership and runs against him. He might even win. When he does, do you expect Ravendon will remember every single thing he needs to say to this new leader?

Luckily, much of this is over for us, though, or I'd be concerned about even speaking of it OOC. I've been working for months now to redefine Coria from being sneaky and careful to bold and straightforward now that we're in a position to do so. We'll see how everything works out when we can go back to war. There's less than 2 months before our treaties with MI (gone in less than that is my bet) and BoM pass their forced existence. After that, we get to reassess who we want to fight, if anyone. (I kind of fubar'd the only other front we'd have considered fighting on... Even if he isn't responsible, the South seems to have been all about peace since I sent Ambassador Asleon down. I originally sent him down to figure out if we'd have to go to war soon and which side we should actually support.)

Sorry for the huge post.

EDIT: Forgot something. That superscript:

1: Minas Ithil was actually directly responsible for the leak... So the assertion that Coria backed off because we didn't hold to our word is nonsense. Luckily for me, it worked out likely better, but much less interesting this way.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:34:47 AM by Eirikr »

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499: January 10, 2013, 12:15:27 AM »
Well, this war is all over but for the crying. Eston has completely collapsed, and their military leadership has disappeared. :(
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.