Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 540749 times)

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #30: March 07, 2011, 11:33:38 PM »
Meh, you got suckered into signing a really bad treaty by Coria. And in the process alienated the entire northern alliance. This is not going to end well...

I didn't get suckered, I knew it would be controversial. Kerwin, however, believes he can secure a friendship with Coria and keep the northern alliance alive. It's proving difficult, but it may work. Again, if Darka would realize how much of a snake in the grass Talerium and Aldarion are like the rest of the continent does, things would be fine.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Munro

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 07, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
I must admit, I believe a greater amount of smaller realms would be beneficial to Atamara. More realms equal more government positions for people to have a go at, it also enables a more diverse politics rather than people getting entrenched in large solid alliances.

Personally, I'd support colonies, and in fact, Coria did support the foundation of Hammarsett. Ironically I very much doubt the two will ever have great relations with one another, despite the fact I'd prefer to see more colonies. Multiple fronts in a war can be devastating and if smaller realms stuck together more, and they surrounded a much larger realm trying to exert dominance over them,  they could become giant killers.

And anyway, who is to say that the alliance between Coria and Eston won't spice things up in the future? People are complaining about the same sides always duking it out and things never being shaken up. How does Coria, a Cagilan colony, taking a step closer in friendship to the Northern realms not add the possibility for change in the future?

I think politics around the Great Lake are going to be pretty interesting after this War is over. After all, with the current alliances, there are going to be a lot of landlocked allies, friends one day, enemies the next as they say ;)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 08, 2011, 01:34:15 AM »
And anyway, who is to say that the alliance between Coria and Eston won't spice things up in the future? People are complaining about the same sides always duking it out and things never being shaken up. How does Coria, a Cagilan colony, taking a step closer in friendship to the Northern realms not add the possibility for change in the future?

Because it's not "Cagilan colony moving closer to northerners" it's "Eston moving into Cagilan sphere", in effect if not in name.  From everything I've heard the odds are much better of that than what you're describing.  Which...Means that continued Cagilan dominance is more likely.  Which means...Not changing politics.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 08, 2011, 02:56:15 AM »
Yeah, what Bedwyr said.

I heard someone remark the other day that, from jus reading the treaty and not knowing the situation, you'd think Coria won the war, and wasn't really forced to surrender. And indeed, if I was CE, I would be congratulating Coria on securing the northern border for the Empire. Because that's what the treaty does.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: March 08, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Yeah, what Bedwyr said.

I heard someone remark the other day that, from jus reading the treaty and not knowing the situation, you'd think Coria won the war, and wasn't really forced to surrender. And indeed, if I was CE, I would be congratulating Coria on securing the northern border for the Empire. Because that's what the treaty does.

Uh, yeah, that's partly the point. Kerwin did not want to force Coria into anything, certainly not an awful, punishing treaty. Like Munro and I have said, our characters are trying to forge a friendship between Eston and Coria. Kerwin did not want to force a painful treaty upon Coria and only grow resentment and sure up any Corian hate or resolve against Eston or the north.

Also, I'm not sure how you could say the treaty looks like Coria won. It certainly looks like the war was a lot more even sided, but I mean Coria surrenders a region to Eston... does that happen often in treaties for the winner? They give up a region? Even if a relatively unimportant one?

Nevertheless, we shall see what happens, I suppose. Maybe it'll go haywire and fall apart into war again or maybe not. I'm quite optimistic at this point, though.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: March 08, 2011, 07:04:09 PM »
Uh, yeah, that's partly the point. Kerwin did not want to force Coria into anything, certainly not an awful, punishing treaty. Like Munro and I have said, our characters are trying to forge a friendship between Eston and Coria. Kerwin did not want to force a painful treaty upon Coria and only grow resentment and sure up any Corian hate or resolve against Eston or the north.

And doing it on Coria's terms, from everything I've seen.  Especially since you decided to do those negotiations without involving the rest of the north.

Also, I'm not sure how you could say the treaty looks like Coria won. It certainly looks like the war was a lot more even sided, but I mean Coria surrenders a region to Eston... does that happen often in treaties for the winner? They give up a region? Even if a relatively unimportant one?

The copy of the treaty terms I saw (which was a while ago, may have been amended) essentially secured the Cagilan Empire's northern borders.  Keeping the whole northern alliance from being able to go through without smashing through Talerium after they'd gone to all the work to break Coria.  That is worth considerably more than a single region.

And yes, I'm mildly annoyed as Leta and my character Malcolm staked their careers and the entirety of Carelia on this war, and we were counting on the northern realms coming to assist, not getting sidetracked beating down Eston for selling them out for no apparent reason.  Which is, in fact, what it looks like to everyone I've talked to from the north as well as everyone I've talked to in the south.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: March 08, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »
Surrendering regions - note the plural form - is a pretty standard clause in most surrender treaties. Many surrendering realms have had to give up multiple regions, sometimes an entire duchy.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: March 08, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

Moderator Momentâ„¢
When replying to a specific post, please be sure to quote said post in the reply.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:44:21 PM by Solari »

Chris

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: March 10, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Well the war has certainly spiced things up in a world that had gone pretty stagnant. There are these large power blocks and nothing to fight over. No resources. We need the new economy side of the game set up so that realms have real needs and wants. I know that is no small task and highly complex to balance but it will add a lot more to needs and interactions between the realms. My biggest annoyance with the current war is a it seemed happen to a plan and that one set on in game reasons was quickly replaced by another set of in game reasons surprisingly quickly and conveniently.

The realms need more things to fight over.

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: March 10, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
I think one thing this new war has shown us is that certain realms that were once quite powerful military forces, have lost some significant skill through marshal and general turnover.
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #40: March 10, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »
Really? Which realms? All I know is that Darka has historically been a good military realm.

squirrel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: March 11, 2011, 04:42:50 AM »
Prediction: Tara will get off the damn fence. Eventually.
Never approach a vast undertaking with a half-vast plan.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: March 11, 2011, 04:55:54 AM »
Prediction: Tara will get off the damn fence. Eventually.

Prediction: The fence between Tara and Carelia is about to be shattered with a battering ram.

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #43: March 11, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
Prediction: The fence between Tara and Carelia is about to be shattered with a battering ram.

It's not a prediction when you have perpetrated the events! ;)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: March 11, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »

Oh please! Oh please! Oh please! I have been praying for this for weeks. Months?
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.