Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 540791 times)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
The Current War
« Topic Start: March 02, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
So..how's everyone liking the war that has engulfed Atamara? Pretty much everyone is involved in some way or another and there have been some big shifts to even get the war going. Any predictions for the outcome?
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Foundation

• Honourable King
  • Okay... you got me
    • View Profile
    • White Halmos
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1: March 02, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
Prediction:  The war will continue, and Darka will help one side, and that side will win their conflict.  The rest of the war will just be a (much needed) drain of gold and resources and not result in any real change.
The above is accurate 25% of the time, truthful 50% of the time, and facetious 100% of the time.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 02, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
Prediction: Carelia to be double-crossed by Caergoth and Suville when the war either drags on too long or Carelia starts losing. Would place money on it.

egamma

« Reply #3: March 02, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
Prediction:
The Caligan Empire will be threatened with destruction and every realm fighting them will have 100 undead spawn in every region.

In related news, the Lich King no longer protects Outer Tilog.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 02, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »
Prediction: It's going to be a glorious, bloody mess and whichever side ends up winning is going to start fighting over the spoils in short order, possibly soon enough to let the losing side come back.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #5: March 02, 2011, 10:55:20 PM »
Prediction: Carelia to be double-crossed by Caergoth and Suville when the war either drags on too long or Carelia starts losing. Would place money on it.

STARTS losing? By my count, they're already losing (with the obvious exception of buying Skalk). I'm waiting for the Carelians to get tired of their own conflict and turn against those who got them into this mess in order to settle their personal issues with the Empire.  ;)

Noble family

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 03, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
Send your Minions that I may lay waste to them before me!

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 03, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
I don't know what the result will be, but Atamara needs some major mix ups across the board. Too many big realms and consolidated territory, we need lots more smaller sized realms.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 03, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Well, Eston has four duchies. If three of them secede, we'd suddenly have three new realms on AT.

Nothing personal, but I see comments like "Too many big realms, we need more/smaller realms" all the time. What people really mean when they say that is that *everyone else* needs to give up some of their duchies to make more, smaller realms while we stay the same.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 03, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
While I think that the CE is very competently played and there is a reason it dominated Atamara for years, they have simply maximized their advantage.  There's very little margin for improvement in production or military capability.  Carelia has hardly been known as a model of efficiency, so even marginal improvements go a long way.  Several have been made.  The CE must continue to perform at 100%.  Carelia must simply continue to improve on the margins.  I like their odds.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:17:33 PM by Solari »

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: March 03, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
Nothing personal, but I see comments like "Too many big realms, we need more/smaller realms" all the time. What people really mean when they say that is that *everyone else* needs to give up some of their duchies to make more, smaller realms while we stay the same.

OK, so, when's Darka going to split up?  ;D
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 03, 2011, 03:55:01 PM »
You don't see me complaining about needing more, smaller realms, do you?  8)

I'm perfectly happy with there being larger realms.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 03, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »
You don't see me complaining about needing more, smaller realms, do you?  8)

I'm perfectly happy with there being larger realms.

Yes, they have more to lootcan pay more.  ;)
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: March 03, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
I favor smaller realms, generally... but really I just favor dynamism. I have no beef with big realms if they keep things in flux. But Atamara's big realms have basically been in stasis it seems like for as long as I've been playing. Eston has had some shakeups at various times, like when Darka took Massillion.... but Talerium and CE are virtually untouched. Tara's size doesn't bother me so much, because I can easily recall when they had 4 regions. But it will bother me in a few months, most likely.

To me, it's not a question of size, but time. CE's time has come. Talerium's time has come. Not necessarily to die, but to change their place on the continent. Carelia is changing its place, and if they are victorious they will continue to inhabit a new place as well.

Talerium could do something interesting (for the first time in the existence of that realm) and betray CE, for example. CE would begin to lose the war quite swiftly. Or Tara could betray CE. The Carelia/Suville/Caergoth alliance is already a deviation from old alliances, as is its alignment with Eston. I'd like to see other realms adapt as well.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 03, 2011, 11:12:31 PM »
Well, Eston has four duchies. If three of them secede, we'd suddenly have three new realms on AT.

Indeed, and you'll notice Eston just signed a controversial peace treaty with Coria when it almost *could* have tried to absorb the Duchy of Barad Falas. It did this with the intent of trying to turn the current war in the north from "Eston and Hammarsett trying to expand into Coria" to "Lets take the fight to the Cagilan Empire."
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)