Author Topic: Heraldry Charges  (Read 12174 times)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Heraldry Charges
« Topic Start: May 13, 2017, 01:39:54 AM »
There's only a limited number of charges thus far. So, in the interests of gathering more ideas for heraldric charges, what else should exists?

Dragons, elephants, goats, and seahorses are my immediate suggestions.

EDIT: I now realize there is a dragon on the other beasts page, that I overlooked.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 02:04:23 AM by Vita »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Heraldry Charges
« Reply #1: May 13, 2017, 01:55:48 AM »
Well, forever ago, I had made this for my family, which is not currently supported by the engine. Would it be feasible to support such a thing?

Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: May 13, 2017, 01:58:55 AM »
Also, the "é" in my family name not showing, displays as "Chnier family". And I can't seem to edit the heraldry twice, gives a white page on all further attempts.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: May 13, 2017, 02:07:13 AM »
Well, forever ago, I had made this for my family, which is not currently supported by the engine. Would it be feasible to support such a thing?

That is, unfortunately, much more complex than we are likely to be able to support. We might be able to do something like quartering, or having a couple of charges separated by a...does one call that a bend, or something? Sorry, my heraldic is pretty weak.

But that's got six charges on it, and four of them are inside the stripe...definitely advanced stuff when you have to program it in generically.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: May 13, 2017, 02:12:53 AM »
Also, the "é" in my family name not showing, displays as "Chnier family".

Hm. Please report that on the bugtracker.

I'm still not entirely sure what the right solution to non-ASCII names is...I'd love to be able to guarantee that they'll Just Workâ„¢, but I really can't :\

And I can't seem to edit the heraldry twice, gives a white page on all further attempts.

Yeah, Vita just showed me that one. I'll fix it when I get a chance—tonight or tomorrow.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: May 13, 2017, 02:53:23 AM »
And I can't seem to edit the heraldry twice, gives a white page on all further attempts.

Yeah, Vita just showed me that one. I'll fix it when I get a chance—tonight or tomorrow.
For everyone else (and Anaris when he looks at it), this white page error only occurs after saving your design.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: May 13, 2017, 02:59:37 AM »
I agree with Anaris about the shield. The closest we might be able to come to that would be the Blue Bend on the White French Shield with the two red stars. Currently, the placement of the two red stars is not possible, but I think, with some effort, it could be made possible. The four fleur-de-lis in the bend would be a lot more difficult.

To start with, we would need a Star svg vector image.

So, the list: Star, Elephant, Goat, Seahorse.

Jaidan

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: May 13, 2017, 03:06:05 AM »
Hm. Please report that on the bugtracker.

I'm still not entirely sure what the right solution to non-ASCII names is...I'd love to be able to guarantee that they'll Just Workâ„¢, but I really can't :\

I had the same problem with my "ë" in Noël.  Nol isn't quite as epic  :D

I tried to search/submit this on the bugtracker as a guest (using guest as username and password like the wiki says), but it said I was unable to log in.

By the way, nice work!  The heraldry is a fun feature.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: May 13, 2017, 03:20:59 AM »
I tried to search/submit this on the bugtracker as a guest (using guest as username and password like the wiki says), but it said I was unable to log in.

Yeah, we had to disable that because of spam.

By the way, nice work!  The heraldry is a fun feature.

Thanks! A lot of credit goes to szquirrel, who has sadly moved on from BattleMaster dev work.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: May 13, 2017, 11:01:39 PM »
That is, unfortunately, much more complex than we are likely to be able to support. We might be able to do something like quartering, or having a couple of charges separated by a...does one call that a bend, or something? Sorry, my heraldic is pretty weak.

But that's got six charges on it, and four of them are inside the stripe...definitely advanced stuff when you have to program it in generically.

Yea, my heraldry terminology sucks too. And I'd understand if it proves too complex.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: May 13, 2017, 11:36:58 PM »
Can I have a heart?  ;D

Also, having multiple images on the crest would be cool! What do you call them? "Charges"?
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #11: May 15, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
I would like to see the following"

==Animal Heads==
Options: Snarling or Calm
Directions: Facing Viewer or  Side Profile left/right
Types: Wolf, Lion, Dragon, Boar, Bear, Eagle Etc.
Special Category: Helms (Mediveal, Viking, Samurai, Roman, whatevs devs!)

If there is any interest, I can probably find PNGs online.
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: May 15, 2017, 10:23:12 PM »
I would like to see the following"

==Animal Heads==
Options: Snarling or Calm
Directions: Facing Viewer or  Side Profile left/right
Types: Wolf, Lion, Dragon, Boar, Bear, Eagle Etc.
Special Category: Helms (Mediveal, Viking, Samurai, Roman, whatevs devs!)

If there is any interest, I can probably find PNGs online.

PNGs will not help. They need to be SVGs, and they need to be either a permissive CC license or public domain.

As far as interest...basically, I'm interested in just about anything that a) fits the milieu, and b) matches the style of the existing ones. Find it, post it here, and if it fits those criteria, I'll almost certainly add it (sooner or later).
Timothy Collett

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: May 17, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
I'd like to see an Eye, for what it's worth.

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: May 17, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to get a star of Chaos.
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.