Author Topic: Heraldry Charges  (Read 12188 times)

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Heraldry Charges
« Reply #15: May 17, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
I wonder if it would be possible to get a star of Chaos.

If you manage to find it in the right format and right permissions/domain, sure.

They need to be SVGs, and they need to be either a permissive CC license or public domain.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Attano

• Noble Lord
  • Diplomacy! Violence! Pasta!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: May 17, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
Have a link to a CC permissive licence SVG.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chaos_star.svg
Once the Daleborn family, now the Attano family.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
  • RIP Barca, Taselak, Cagil
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: May 17, 2017, 06:42:40 PM »
I like this feature, certainly adds a nice visual touch to the game and enhances the medievalness. My only request is maybe better colours, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I feel like they're just too bright and virtual looking. I feel like a lot of the existing ones just don't look very good together. Wouldn't mind one of those colour chooser squares that have lots of colours and shades, but I also have no idea how much work that would be.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Xavax, to be taken all day erry' day.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: May 17, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
I like this feature, certainly adds a nice visual touch to the game and enhances the medievalness. My only request is maybe better colours, I'm not sure exactly how to describe it but I feel like they're just too bright and virtual looking. I feel like a lot of the existing ones just don't look very good together. Wouldn't mind one of those colour chooser squares that have lots of colours and shades, but I also have no idea how much work that would be.

I was told by Tim these were the authentic heraldry colors one used for banners and such.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: May 17, 2017, 07:29:11 PM »
I agree. The colors really don't match all that well except for a few. And as much as it is cool to stick to the heraldry colors of the past, this is BattleMaster. There is a lot inside here that doesn't reflect the past. Daimons, magic, etc. Let us be more creative!
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: May 18, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
I was told by Tim these were the authentic heraldry colors one used for banners and such.
I think the problem is that they are very bright, sharp digital tones/shades/whatever the heck they are, and the actual colours used would look a lot more, well, real.
Taselak is Best-elak.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: May 18, 2017, 08:05:22 PM »
...Are you sure what you mean isn't, "The colours I'm expecting to see used would look a lot more, well, faded by hundreds of years of weather"?

'Cause they had plenty of vibrant colours in the medieval period (not as vibrant as our neon stuff today, sure, but plenty bright). It's just that a) it was so expensive only nobles (y'know, the people we play ;D ) could use them, and b) most authentic examples you see today of objects dyed during that period are horribly faded (because it's been nearly a millennium).

Doesn't mean they didn't have bright, sharp colours.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Malus

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: May 18, 2017, 10:53:14 PM »
Bad taste is a foundation of human history. Though, I did find something aesthetic for my modern tastes in the editor.

Dwilight: Septimus the Hero (Westguard)
Beluaterra: Lilly the Courtier (Angmar)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: May 21, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
I agree with Timothy. When I think of jousting knights in the lists, I imagine banners of bright blue, yellow, red, and green. They are vibrant and eye catching.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: May 22, 2017, 01:37:08 AM »
Seems like a number of flags and banners have symbols (like flowers or bees) on their charges, though. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

daviceroy

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: May 23, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »
I don't say this often (Tim, you might want to write it down ;) ) but I agree with Tim.  The banners were often considered vibrant and bright.  We are used to "color" sensitivity.  Back then, if you didn't like it, well... *sharpens the ax*

I am thankful that a squirrel was included.  That amused me enough to add it to my coat.  Maybe I'm just nuts. LOL

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: May 23, 2017, 08:39:29 PM »
I'm not sure what Chenier is talking about at all, it seems a rather out-of-context statement.

I think, historically, the colours wouldn't have been very consistent shades, but they most certainly would've been bright, as heraldry's purpose was easy identification from afar.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: May 23, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
I am thankful that a squirrel was included.  That amused me enough to add it to my coat.  Maybe I'm just nuts. LOL
Well, the developer that did most of the heraldry feature years back did go by the name szquirrel.

Ossan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: May 24, 2017, 07:27:47 AM »
Yes I am aware of all that, but there's a difference between bright paint and bright completely digital colours. The blue is especially awful to my eyes. This could also be further increased by the way I have calibrated my monitor, but still really don't like the blue.

Though I'm sure making it a little more actual paint instead of MS Paint like is not quick, simple and easy task :p
Taselak is Best-elak.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: May 24, 2017, 08:10:09 PM »
While we can't account for monitor display differences, if you would like to propose an alternative blue hexcode (or a set), we can at least compare the colours and consider changing the blue.