Author Topic: Double Signatures from New Players  (Read 10659 times)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
Re: Double Signatures from New Players
« Reply #15: July 17, 2011, 03:57:53 AM »
If you didn't, please do.

I asked him why he signs his name twice. He said, "It's just something I started doing, and fell into the habit of, I guess. When you send messages, the game automatically signs your name for you, but there are times when a little more is either needed or desired. It adds something (to me, at least) more personal, adds emphasis to the character itself, IMHO."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: July 17, 2011, 04:56:02 AM »
I asked him why he signs his name twice. He said, "It's just something I started doing, and fell into the habit of, I guess. When you send messages, the game automatically signs your name for you, but there are times when a little more is either needed or desired. It adds something (to me, at least) more personal, adds emphasis to the character itself, IMHO."

Double facepalm.  :o
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #17: July 21, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »

I can understand what he's thinking.

It's like when you type a letter, and then sign above your typed name and position. He thinks of the auto-generated sig as more of a "seal", I guess, that his scribe put on, and then he "signs" it himself.

Pity we can't use different fonts in the messaging to make that more real looking - suggest to him that he use italics or bold.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:51:43 AM by Jens Namtrah »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: July 21, 2011, 11:39:20 PM »
I can understand what he's thinking.

It's like when you type a letter, and then sign above your typed name and position. He thinks of the auto-generated sig as more of a "seal", I guess, that his scribe put on, and then he "signs" it himself.

Pity we can't use different fonts in the messaging to make that more real looking - suggest to him that he use italics or bold.

:o
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #19: July 22, 2011, 01:23:48 AM »
Sort of how you have the signature done manually, and underneath it you have your typed seal, assuming you're important enough that your letters require such.

An example would be like those letters the Dean used to send. It'd say a bunch of stuff, and at the end, it'd read something like:

Best to you all,

<signature>

John Smith, Dean of Students, XYZ University

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: July 22, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »
Sort of how you have the signature done manually, and underneath it you have your typed seal, assuming you're important enough that your letters require such.

An example would be like those letters the Dean used to send. It'd say a bunch of stuff, and at the end, it'd read something like:

Best to you all,

<signature>

John Smith, Dean of Students, XYZ University

Except BM characters don't have computers to type with. A signature is to add authenticity to a letter, despite the fact it's pretty easy to fake them if the letter is transmitted electronically.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #21: July 22, 2011, 02:24:04 AM »
Meh. Some players might not exactly get that through their heads.

Also, I have a hypothesis that BM is actually a high tech game that is also recursive in a huge metaverse twist worthy of great sci-fi writers of the great age of sci-fi.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: July 22, 2011, 07:04:05 AM »
Meh. Some players might not exactly get that through their heads.

Also, I have a hypothesis that BM is actually a high tech game that is also recursive in a huge metaverse twist worthy of great sci-fi writers of the great age of sci-fi.

Frankly, I've been waiting for Tom to release the BattleMaster Sci-Fi parallel game SpaceMaster for years now. It would be so sweet.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #23: July 22, 2011, 07:08:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure that even in the days before typewriters, a secretary would write the business documents and then the VIP he worked for would sign it

we're pretty restricted in how we can structure messages - he's just trying to use his imagination a bit. not sure it requires shocked double facepalms.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: July 22, 2011, 07:15:39 AM »
It is esthetically extremely displeasing.

Perhaps a script could be written to automatically erase double signatures?

Jens Namtrah

« Reply #25: July 22, 2011, 07:19:49 AM »

I would 1000 times rather see a script that removed (OOC: this is my thought) from the messages than worry about the occasional double signature, or other important things.

maybe you could just ask them to stop, or learn to tolerate it?

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: July 22, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
Or try to condition your mind to automatically blank out the line.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #27: July 27, 2011, 10:37:08 PM »

How would that be checked anyway?

For example, it's relatively simple to check for the following:

John Doe

John Doe (Noble)

and then remove the first John Doe. I believe that the autosignature is there, among other reasons, to prevent someone from signing as the following:

John Doe, the Grand Warthog Master Chief of Covenant Slaying Badassery

And attempt to pass that off as a legitimate title. Of course, that's an extreme case, but the point is that it prevents people from claiming false titles (Something that would have had dire consequences in Medieval times...which hasn't really changed in modern times either)

But how sensitive do we want it? How does the script know when something is intended as a signature, and not a part of the letter? What if someone doesn't use any known closings (Sincerely, Yours Truly, Best Regards, etc)

So how would the game tell the difference between the following:

Dear Idiot,

This is a message about how stupid you are.

John Doe

versus the following:

Dear Idiot,

This is a message from the person named after this sentence.

John Doe

It's a lot of work for something that I think is rather stupid to waste time trying to code. How many people would really care that you can't sign your name manually? On the other hand, if we do away with the autosignature, how many people do you already know will jump on the opportunity to call themselves something they're really not.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: July 28, 2011, 12:51:16 AM »
A script to detect a line break followed by the name of the character could, I assume, easily remove it and be rather easy to code. It wouldn't work if the name is typoed.

To prevent any unwanted message edits (the name might have been intended as something other than a signature, such as finishing your message with "You will regret having provoked John Bloe!")

However, a simple alternative would have the game tell you not to manually sign at the bottom of your message if it detects your name, while keeping it there. Much like how the game tells you not to share your civil work reports.

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 01, 2011, 02:51:23 AM »
For new players, it would help if the Preview facility added the signature.

As it is, you write the message, and:
- the Live Preview at the bottom misses out the heading line ("Letter from Crip Grindle" or whatever)
- the Live Preview at the bottom misses out the sign-off line ("Crip Grindle, Knight of Elroth" or whatever)
- the Message Preview after you click the preview button contains the heading, but misses out the sign-off as well

Any diligent new player, who makes use of the Preview function to check they have done the right thing, will be shown that there is no signature and that they should add their own.  And then they add it, click Send, and the game adds another one without warning, making them look a bit silly.

So perhaps fixing that would help new players start off on the right foot  :)