Author Topic: Sometimes Things Just Don't Go Your Way...  (Read 4352 times)

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Sometimes Things Just Don't Go Your Way...
« Topic Start: May 18, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
I feel like this is a relatively serious issue on the EC that should be addressed.

Sometimes things just don't go your way.

It happens. I will start out by saying that Greater Xavax is hands down my favorite realm I have ever played in. Ever. In my time on BattleMaster. And you know what? Greater Xavax might lose the war and get wiped out.

And that is OK.

Why?

Bear with me here. We are playing a game, but that game also happens to be the best political sandbox/simulator I have ever come across. SO MUCH of this game is based on player interactions or is forged by players actions.

This is NOT, however, a movie or a linear RPG. The good guys (or your perception of who they are) might not win. Sometimes you don't win. Someone has to lose. You know how effing boring this game would be if realms never got destroyed or never lost wars? There would be no gamble, no risk, no realism. That victory you are struggling for? It is sweet because there is a real danger you might not ever taste it.

I have been hearing lots of terms like "metagaming" or "powergaming". Honestly, I hadn't heard of most of these before, I am not much of a gamer outside of BM. But it does frustrate me. It sounds like an excuse, something to blame when things just aren't going your way. Aside from multiple accounts and violations of the IR, its all legal baby. If you want to be ruthless and go to extremes, don't complain when others do it against you. If you want to be the noble and upstanding contender, don't complain when it is a long and difficult road.

Actually, just don't complain. The people who have built this game have put in insane amounts of time and effort for free. The players of the game put in considerable time to create the world as it is. This deserves some respect.

I wish more peoples gut reaction was "Damn we are getting messed up, but lets keep at it cause I LOVE THIS GAME". I am pretty sure it is a good feeling for the Dev Team when people love the game.

Inevitably, realms are going to get destroyed. If GX destroys Alara, I really hope those players don't quit the game. If Vix kills off GX, I really hope those players stick around. I had an old account, and was a member of Redspan when it got destroyed, and then Fontan. I really liked both those realms, and when Fontan got sacked, I rage quit. I didn't understand that things can't always go my way, and I didn't want my favorite realm to be destroyed. Then, six months later, I got curious about what was going on in BM and made a new account. You know what? The continents carried on, and I had missed so much stuff. I really only had myself to be mad at, and I realized something.

You get exactly how much you put into this game out of it.

So I will leave this rant with that sentiment.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.