Author Topic: Under Debate: Marriages  (Read 15317 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Marriages
« Reply #30: August 29, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »
I like the idea of religion-sanctioned marriages, though there have been a number of high profile inter-faith marriages in BM's history.

I've always been in favor of forcing religions to adopt stances on a lot of topics, even if it's then not backed with mechanics implications. I therefore like the idea of making religions adopt a stance on marriage.

I like that route as well. makes the religion game more relevant. Besides, historically speaking, weren't religious conversions in order to marry a fairly common thing?

So two characters in the same region and of the same religion should have the option to select each other from a marriage drop down menu and send a marriage request which, when accepted by th other person, proc's a new entry into the family history. Extrapoints if we figure out how to work dowries!
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 31, 2017, 10:39:58 AM »
It's not me that needs to approve this, that's Anaris. I was just helping to flesh this out.

I could probably work on it though, or, given I spend most of my time working on M&F, help Wimpie, once he does though.
Like my programming? Become my patron!

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #32: September 25, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »
It's not me that needs to approve this, that's Anaris. I was just helping to flesh this out.

I could probably work on it though, or, given I spend most of my time working on M&F, help Wimpie, once he does though.

Thanks for reviewing. i'm sure that I and many other players would love to see an RP feature like this added to the game!

Renodin

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: September 25, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
Seconded

Sharpspeare

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Sharpspeare Family
« Reply #34: September 26, 2017, 04:49:23 AM »
I would like this to become an actual thing. So I'm in as well
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious" ~ Vince Lombardi

"Allons-y" 10th Doctor

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: October 02, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
I don't mean to complicate this by all my questions/thoughts below.. but....
Guys, what if we made it so that players could choose what their family marriage views are during their first character creation the same way we choose what region our family is from? Here's the flow:

Choose a name for your family:
Select the following marriage beliefs your family holds: Traditional vs. Free Love? Divorces allowed? Can marry anyone or only those of equal/greater standing?

I think that giving the individual players critical choices like these is the right move bc not everything in this game is SMA and an unknown amount of players will feel very strongly about having their own choice. And, just like your family home, you can change the setting later and that change would be recorded in the family history.

Running with this idea a bit, what if there are 2 characters within the same family that have entirely different views. i.e. Character 1 is of a Saxon/Christian mind and believes in 1 woman for 1 man under the eyes of God. but they have a relative (distant uncle, brother, or child or whatever) that is more of a Viking mentality - divorce happens and there is not really any shame in it. As long as the two remain semi civil and don't cause undue stress or harm to anyone else in the community, no one really cares about it..

I am not really in love with the idea of a "family" view of Marriage, but more on the character by character basis..

Following a different stream of thought..

What if one spouse dies, is paused, or is deleted, how does that impact the status page? Does that complicate the coding at all?

A) If a Spouse dies, 1) I imagine the views on re-marriage from an IG perspective are dependent on the religion (assuming we bring religion into this) 2) from a functionality perspective - is remarriage a problem? do we denote the # of times a character has been married and to whom? Or once two characters are not married any longer (regardless of reason) do we pay no mention to the fact that they were at 1 point married?

B) What happens if one spouse gets paused? Do they remain married? This might get sticky in the sense that the player of the spouse might feel like they have the "right" to break the cardinal rule of RP.... don't take control of another player's character w/out consent..

C) What if a character is deleted? How does that impact the marriage - functionally I am thinking here.. Obviously in game the character (probably) dies and the surviving spouse becomes a widow/widower..
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:35:17 PM by House of Blint »
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: October 03, 2017, 09:46:48 AM »
Let's keep it simple. A marriage should involve one noble being able to marry another noble. Either party should also be able to dissolve the marriage if they wish.

So if your roleplay is that you're married for life, til death do us part, and the only real marriage is between a man and a woman then that's fine. You can marry another noble of the opposite sex and you can never dissolve the marriage. On the other hand, if your roleplay is that divorce is fine, you can marry as many people at once at you want and it doesn't matter what sex they are then the marriage mechanic should accommodate that too.

Game mechanics should enable, not dictate, what players do with their characters.

In terms of what happens if your spouse gets paused, deleted, etc. I think it should follow a simple rule that a dead or deleted character is treated by the game as being dead in terms of the marriage - if the other player agrees then your deleted spouse can become your NPC but otherwise you just RP them as having died. A character who is paused is just that, paused, and unless you're given permission by the player of the paused character then any RPs involving your spouse should be limited to them being in a coma, or suffering from sleeping sickness, or similar.

Blint

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: October 03, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »
I think IG the impacts of death/pausing/deleting are relatively simple. I was thinking more from the standpoint of the "status page" or whatever that would look like..

Another thing to think about, do both parties need to consent to a divorce or is that dictated by the "religion/vows/oaths/etc"?
A good chess player plays 3 moves ahead, A great chess player plays 1 move ahead, but it's always the right move.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #38: October 03, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
Do we have any idea of what it would take to implement this? I can name 6 other players who are looking to have their characters marry, but are waiting for any announcement as to whether or not this feature could get approval now that it's gained traction.

Thanks!

Zakky

« Reply #39: October 04, 2017, 12:39:09 AM »
Do we have any idea of what it would take to implement this? I can name 6 other players who are looking to have their characters marry, but are waiting for any announcement as to whether or not this feature could get approval now that it's gained traction.

Thanks!

Even if it gets approved, since it is not that important, it will be pretty far down the list meaning you won't see it for a long time. There are more urgent features waiting to be implemented. There is of course a great solution to this. Get your programmer buddies to join BM dev and make them implement it!

Antonine

• Mighty Duke
  • Current family: Sussex. Old family: Octavius.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: October 04, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »
Even if it gets approved, since it is not that important, it will be pretty far down the list meaning you won't see it for a long time. There are more urgent features waiting to be implemented. There is of course a great solution to this. Get your programmer buddies to join BM dev and make them implement it!

This.

I think there's no objection to implementing it, but it will take time. But more programmers to help us do the dev work to implement features like this would be very welcome :)

In the meantime, those nobles who are waiting to marry would be best off doing the RP now rather than waiting for this feature.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: October 04, 2017, 08:45:07 AM »
It first needs to get approved by Delvin or Vita.

Then we would need to decide what exact functions we would implement. A simpler version vs a more complicated one. The latter obviously taking more time to implement.

The time it will take to implement will not only depend on how much developers we have. Because I'm happy to work on it. But also on the time Delvin has to look into it.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Re: Under Debate: Marriages
« Reply #42: November 06, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Well if/when it gets approved, I think it will make a fine roleplaying addition!

CryptCypher

• Noble Lord
  • This is not the text you are looking for.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: November 08, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »
I have a feeling there will be a significant uptick in weddings, parties, and drunken duels. :)

Hell, I'll actually go through with a marriage this time.

Apsu@Legends. BM: Yxevarii Auru'in, Grandmistress [Ruler;Priestess-Inquisitor] (Obia'Syela-BT); Sigrid Gudrun Auru'in, Avenging Exile of Xavax, Countess of Slimbar (Redhaven-EC);  Masalu Auru'in, Linguistically-Challenged Sumerian Death-Cultist (D'hara-DW)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #44: December 21, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Just a short note: Much of the details of marriage are solved in Might & Fealty and the code is Open Source so you can look it up. There are technical solutions like how to store it in the DB as well there.