Author Topic: Heroic question  (Read 4925 times)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Heroic question
« Topic Start: October 08, 2018, 06:18:56 PM »
Is there anyway to change your class FROM hero once its been adopted?

Backstory: So I was playing around with my infiltrator, got captured, and was worried when i couldn't bust out. Then I remembered that heros can bust out of jail, so I was looking at the class and clicked it, thinking for whatever reason that I could do a hero/infil. My thinking was to create a zorro-like character, a vigilante. Long story short, I was wrong. i'm now stuck with a hero that I didn't want and would change if I could as I put a lot of time and energy into infil training. So I waited for a few weeks attempting to change class. the button is still there for a hero, and you can still select it, but nothing happens, and if you try to change your class again, you get a message saying that you've already tried and you're basically locked out from the menu for another week.  :-\

I get why hero is supposed to be a difficult class to change out of, but does "difficult" in this context really mean "not at all possible?" Do I have to make a special request or is there any existing avenue to walkback my mistake?

"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Heroic question
« Reply #1: October 08, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
Is there anyway to change your class FROM hero once its been adopted?

Nope, it's intended to be permanent. It does pretty clearly warn you about that on the class change page.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: October 08, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
Personally I feel you should have the option to drop the Hero class if you change realms or Islands (and/or maybe religion). I've always played my Heroes as fanatics of specific in-game groups, with taking the hero class as representive of a higher level of dedication to that group than a average lay member, sort of like paladins from D&D. Doesn't make much since for my Keperstan fanatic to risk his life on the frontline for a realm he just joined that he isn't as dedicated to. Then again, others play their Heroes different than I.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #3: October 08, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »
Nope, it's intended to be permanent. It does pretty clearly warn you about that on the class change page.

Yeah it sure does, doesn't it? Guess I've no room to complain.  :-\ 

Can i ask hat was the logic behind that decision as opposed to taking an honor/prestige hit?

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: October 08, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »

Yeah it sure does, doesn't it? Guess I've no room to complain.  :-\ 

Can i ask hat was the logic behind that decision as opposed to taking an honor/prestige hit?

Simple, its a decision not to be taken lightly. Allowing you to back out of the class robs it of meaning. A hero's death is a thing of significance now. If you could back out of the class, that would lose all meaning. "Whelp guess Kepler should have swallowed his pride before that battle."

Heck, we just had a "hero" in Luria Ferrata straight up bail on a battle because she was worried about dying. Not all heroes are the stuff of legends I guess.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: October 09, 2018, 01:33:16 PM »
There are several things I don't get about this inquiry.

1. It clearly says the following with 'Hero' subclass. "Note that this is a career with no exit. Once on this path, you can only become a legend, or a failure."

2. Infiltrator and Hero are both subclasses. It won't even allow you to click two radio buttons under sub class.

3. You specifically need to click the radio button next to the main/sub class you prefer and then hit 'Change Class'. This seems like an entirely different process than 'accidentally clicked the class name' -> which is not even possible.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #6: October 09, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
It was a weird night

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: October 09, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
Heck, we just had a "hero" in Luria Ferrata straight up bail on a battle because she was worried about dying. Not all heroes are the stuff of legends I guess.

Absolutely outstanding! Someone get that guy a medal!!
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: October 09, 2018, 10:15:24 PM »
That is awesome!

Refusing to battle as a hero.  Really awesome.

It shows how even the greatest heroes can have flaws.

I play a hero who charged Daimons as the last ruler of a dying realm and somehow failed to die when they beat all of his men to death and then deported him.
I spent the next couple or four years playing him as a "hero" who failed to die with his men...aka...a total failure at what he was supposed to be.

He later became the ruler of his realm when someone had to stand up because the previous ruler disappeared, then watched his realm sink beneath the waves when Atamara sank, and washed ashore on another continent as a man who ONCE AGAIN failed to die with his people.

A couple years after that...he became the ruler of ANOTHER realm when someone had to stand up because the previous ruler went into seclusion.

He's had an interesting character arc.  He keeps throwing himself at impossible battles and the bad guys JUST KEEP MISSING him.  They keep killing everybody AROUND him, but they JUST CAN'T seem to hit HIM.

The really funny part?  He's the first character I created over ten years ago when I first started playing BattleMaster.  He's been a hero most of that time, and JUST CAN'T SEEM TO DIE, no matter how many hopeless battles he fights in.  Not that I WANT him to die, mind you...but I do keep on looking at the family fame point that goes into heroic deaths and such...the one I still haven't gotten.  Heck, I haven't even had a single one of the my nobles DIE in all that time.  So I don't even have the fame point for THAT.  I guess I suck at making enemies who dislike me enough to execute my characters.  ;)

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: October 09, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
That is awesome!

Refusing to battle as a hero.  Really awesome.

It shows how even the greatest heroes can have flaws.

I play a hero who charged Daimons as the last ruler of a dying realm and somehow failed to die when they beat all of his men to death and then deported him.
I spent the next couple or four years playing him as a "hero" who failed to die with his men...aka...a total failure at what he was supposed to be.

He later became the ruler of his realm when someone had to stand up because the previous ruler disappeared, then watched his realm sink beneath the waves when Atamara sank, and washed ashore on another continent as a man who ONCE AGAIN failed to die with his people.

A couple years after that...he became the ruler of ANOTHER realm when someone had to stand up because the previous ruler went into seclusion.

He's had an interesting character arc.  He keeps throwing himself at impossible battles and the bad guys JUST KEEP MISSING him.  They keep killing everybody AROUND him, but they JUST CAN'T seem to hit HIM.

The really funny part?  He's the first character I created over ten years ago when I first started playing BattleMaster.  He's been a hero most of that time, and JUST CAN'T SEEM TO DIE, no matter how many hopeless battles he fights in.  Not that I WANT him to die, mind you...but I do keep on looking at the family fame point that goes into heroic deaths and such...the one I still haven't gotten.  Heck, I haven't even had a single one of the my nobles DIE in all that time.  So I don't even have the fame point for THAT.  I guess I suck at making enemies who dislike me enough to execute my characters.  ;)
To me, that story reads to me like the bad guys enjoy torturing him by killing everyone he knows and leaving only him to tell the tale and suffer the memories alone...and lack of glorious death in battle. Akin to ancient rulers killing one's heirs and wife in front of them and then gouging out their eyes and letting them live the rest of their days...

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: October 09, 2018, 11:59:03 PM »
Absolutely outstanding! Someone get that guy a medal!!

SHE will be getting something more than a medal.
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.