Author Topic: Switching to another realm to spy for a few days  (Read 5049 times)

McTang

• Knight
    • View Profile
We had a Calligan, who I won't name and shame quite yet, join Vix for a week to listen in to our realm-wide messages before going back to Calligus. That is some cowardly crap, and makes it hard to trust people who are genuinely switching sides. Please don't do it, we're not trying to snoop on your messages, and it ruins the fun if you feel like you can't have an open conversation with the realm.

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
While it can be annoying, I trust there are in game means to deal with these sorts of situations.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, the in-game means really do generally boil down to "don't trust newbies."

That's how we end up with the destructively secretive culture that developed in the EC and AT years ago, where no one joining the realm was allowed access to any significant information for weeks or months after joining.

The best way to discourage this, in my view, is for the culture of the game to be such that anyone who tries it will be told, "Not cool, man," and the realm he's doing it for refuses to take his info and bans him.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Purrcious

• Knight
    • View Profile

Purrcious thinks this is ok. Realms aren't playing sandcastles in beach, we are at War! It's too naive to think that your enemy won't deceive you to get the upper hand.

War, Politics, Subterfuge.

Purrcious advice? Take no prisoners! Put them heads on a spike and kick their puppies.

Good thing Purrcious lead no army  ;D
Calm like a Tiger, Quick like a Cheetah, Fierce like a Lion,
Silent like a Puma, Agile like a Jaguar, Lazy like a House Cat!

DeVerci

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
I'm always curious about the new-joins with the shiny-brand new families that join, then don't move or write at all until they get removed for inactivity. Are they spies and attempts for people to listen in, or do people really make characters in the game and immediately lose all interest?

Wimpie

• Developer
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I'm always curious about the new-joins with the shiny-brand new families that join, then don't move or write at all until they get removed for inactivity. Are they spies and attempts for people to listen in, or do people really make characters in the game and immediately lose all interest?

I think the latter.

If they autopause, it means they haven't touched their accounts in what.. a week or 2 weeks? It means they haven't logged in, let alone share the information to your enemy.
Osgar (Thalmarkin, BT), Jeames (Perleone, EC)
PAUSED: Nasgar (Avernus, DWI), Jari (Outer Tilog, COL)

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Lots of people try the game out, log in once, and never come back, unfortunately. I'd love to improve the experience enough that they try to stick around, but I don't have enough information on what makes them leave to be able to do a very good job of that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Urgh, that's lame.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

McTang

• Knight
    • View Profile
Ok, it seems like the general attitude here is to call it out and tell folks it's generally not cool. So, in that spirit, it was Oscar Von Borghoff. Better hope you don't end up back in the Vix dungeons, my friend.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
Wasn't he a Duke?
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
In the days, changing realms automatically resulted in a ban from one's old realm.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

steelabjur@aol.com

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
In the days, changing realms automatically resulted in a ban from one's old realm.

I feel that should still be the case when a noble abandons a realm for a realm that they're at War or Hatred with. It would make spying like what the OP described a real risky proposition for the spy (if he gets caught by this old realm "why did they execute you?", when he goes back the realm he spied on has the chance to execute him if they catch him).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Yea, I'm not sure how I feel about the issue. I think the change was positive overall, but it did increase vulnerability to such shenanigans.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
I feel that should still be the case when a noble abandons a realm for a realm that they're at War or Hatred with. It would make spying like what the OP described a real risky proposition for the spy (if he gets caught by this old realm "why did they execute you?", when he goes back the realm he spied on has the chance to execute him if they catch him).

For reasons entirely unrelated to this particular discussion, yeah I agree, lol
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

McTang

• Knight
    • View Profile
Haha well I guess we're one for two on this one recently. Not being able to ban someone who isn't in your dungeons doesn't make much sense though, with ya on that