Author Topic: What is a split?  (Read 2950 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
What is a split?
« Topic Start: July 10, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
I would really like it if thread splits at least recapped a bit what was said in previous threats. This was an ongoing discussion, and in this new thread we can't easily quote what was said by others.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:26:59 PM by Chénier »
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: What is a split?
« Reply #1: July 11, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
This wasn't really a split. Stue started a new topic on the same subject.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 12, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
This wasn't really a split. Stue started a new topic on the same subject.

Staring a new topic with the same subject is, as far as I know, the exact definition of a split.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 12, 2011, 12:14:07 AM »
A split is a moderator ability where we can remove certain posts from one topic and place them into a new topic in order to better facilitate a discussion that has wandered off the original topic.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: July 12, 2011, 12:34:10 AM »
A split is a moderator ability where we can remove certain posts from one topic and place them into a new topic in order to better facilitate a discussion that has wandered off the original topic.

A split is a split, regardless of who did it. The person doing it changes very little on the result. Indeed, it would have been ever better if a mod had done it, because it *did* originate in another thread where it was slightly off-topic and now if we reply here we can't see what was said in the other thread.

Back with the d-list, we didn't need mods to do thread splits. I don't see why mods would suddenly be an essential part in what the definition of a thread split is.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 12, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
A split is a split, regardless of who did it. The person doing it changes very little on the result. Indeed, it would have been ever better if a mod had done it, because it *did* originate in another thread where it was slightly off-topic and now if we reply here we can't see what was said in the other thread.

Back with the d-list, we didn't need mods to do thread splits. I don't see why mods would suddenly be an essential part in what the definition of a thread split is.

Its a simple matter of semantics on a forum. Anyone can start a new topic to discuss something that has diverged from the original topic but is worth talking about. Only a mod can "split" a topic, that is remove the posts out of the original thread and split them off into a new one. I would have split the original thread myself, but I'm not a mod for that sub forum.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: July 12, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
This is a split.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 13, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »
This is a split.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Reading this thread, I was extremely confused. Then I got it.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner